carrying a gun Revolver vs. Automatic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

carrying a gun Revolver vs. Automatic

I was going to ask this question in the Ruger 380 thread, but felt that to keep form a hijack, I'd start a new one. From time to time I read of the clip/action jamming on an automatic, and you are carrying one or keeping it close for protection, wouldn't it be better to go with a small revolver, if there is such a thing verses an automatic?

I have a 9mm Browning that I have had for a long time and really don't have it for any particular reason other than I picked it up for a good price and enjoy shooting it occasionally. If I were to get a small concealed gun for protection and was concerned about reliability, wouldn't a revolver be the better choice? As a side question, does the clip have to be exercised regularly to keep the spring from setting?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 12:54 pm

Re: carrying a gun Revolver vs. Automatic

SO does not like revolvers. After reading up on the Ruger LCP I could find no jamming problems. I do not know about the spring in the clips.

Have a Glock 40 for me to carry.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #3 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 1:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Generally the springs do not take a set. Law enforcement weapons spend over 99% of their existence with the springs compressed. Malfunctions in quality weapons are usually from dirt, lack of oil (poor maintenance) or limp-wristing when the trigger is pulled. Limp-wristing is very easy to do on the small frame weapons such as the 380 in the other thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 1:37 pm

Not heard of that term. Please define limp wristing.

Regards,

Ultra LT
post #5 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 1:44 pm

I have a Smith and Wesson model 39 9mm and have had some problems with the magazine springs taking a set which causes feeding problems. I replaced the springs and now take the magazines apart and stretch the springs every 3-4 months. I haven't had any more problems since I started doing this. I know that it was common knowledge in the Marine Corps that you did not fully load the magazines (only put 17 rounds in a 20 round magazine) or you would have feed problems.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 1:46 pm

I have a Glock 17 that I use mainly for target shooting and just plain enjoy it. Its IL and there is no carry anyway, but back to the point.

I have heard from many gun shop owners, firearm experts, and things that I have read all say that the best self-defense weapon and carry weapon is a revolver. Less to go wrong. Ultimately K.I.S.S. With 5 bullets in the gun, and empty chamber under the hammer, its almost impossible to misfire. If the time comes, there is no safety, no cocking to chamber a round. There is nothing but a trigger pull.

I like Glock's design, and their record for lack of problems but I would not carry one loaded outside of a holster because of the lack of a safety beyond the trigger. (Note: I am 100% sure it would not go off if dropped, but pulling it out of pockets, belt, etc. is a different story.) Just my opinion; i would want a actual safety in case something got in the trigger guard. Perhaps a de-cocker.

Most automatics made in the past five years by leading manufacturers have no problems with jams or mis-fires if kept clean and oiled and if given the correct ammunition. But revolvers are simpler and more quiet.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 1:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

With respect to this thread, I suspect "limp wristing" is when someone firing an automatic weapon relaxes or let's their wrist go "limp"... This can cause serious accuracy and "stovepiping".
post #8 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 1:55 pm

The bad guys like the revolver because it doesn't leave spent cartridges with fingerprints at the scene of the offense.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #9 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:03 pm

Revolver; Point, shoot; can be loaded indefinitely; accuracy may vary.........my 586 seems spot on no matter what it's loaded with................I still love my autos but as far as practicality is concerned.............I'd have to vote for the wheel gun.......................
post #10 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:24 pm

It seems to me that the revolver would have a slightly wider footprint compared to an auto , but as was stated, much less to go wrong with a revolver.

If I was to carry a revolver, I'd look real close at this guy.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #11 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:33 pm

You have a lot of variables with a semi-automatic pistol, it is important to find out what round operates best in you semi-automatic pistol.This will go a long way in eliminating jamming problems. The best prevention is to fully understand how to strip and clean and reassemble the weapon. Don't be lax in this area.

It's not necessary to be able to field strip a weapon blindfolded but it does make it more fun.
post #12 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
It seems to me that the revolver would have a slightly wider footprint compared to an auto , but as was stated, much less to go wrong with a revolver.

Interesting "hand" gun. Like to see what it looks like firing the 410! Must be a stealth stock. Video found on You Tube.... nice

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by dandiver; Oct 22nd, 2009 at 2:57 pm.
post #13 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 3:51 pm

IMO, this is more a matter of what you have 100% confidence in. The revolver folks rightfully point out that there is basically nothing that can go wrong -- the ultimate point-n-shoot. On the other hand, there's no manual safety (at least on 99.9999% of the wheel guns out there).

FWIW, when I carry, I am most comfortable with an HK USP .45 Compact -- I am comfortable that I have absolute reliability with my choice of rounds, and autos have a slightly thinner profile than revolvers. Plus, I *want* a manual safety, for a few reasons: to control the point at which things go "live" during the drawing process (like, not when the barrel is pointing down at my leg!), and for liability reasons (a minor additional point, that is not really a serious consideration, but it's there: if I screw up and a bad guy gets there hands on the piece, they may get stumped by the safety long enough for me to do something productive).

As to the liability issue, it is not unheard of for the ambulance-chaser class of plaintiffs attorneys representing criminals suing good people for shooting them, to claim that the good guy didn't actually *mean* to shoot the bad guy, but is now covering up for an accidental discharge (i.e., suing the good guy for "negligent" handling of the firearm). The HK is in part my answer to this -- I used to prefer carrying a 1911 (nicely set-up for a left-hander), but this is a single action piece -- exactly the sort of gun that fits into a negligence theory. With the HK, there's a manual safety and a double-action trigger, so my answer to such a charge would be: there's no way for me to have "accidently" fired -- I *damn* sure intended to nail the guy that was assaulting me.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 3:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I carry a Springfield XD-40 and a spare magazine. Doesn't really take up much more room and it's always nice to have more ammo. I prefer a semi over a revolver and find that usually it's only the lower power rounds that have a problem with jamming. Modern firearms have come a long way and are much more reliable.
post #15 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 4:10 pm

The revolvers are much better from a reliability standpoint, although I have experienced misfires with revolvers too. Of course, in that case there's nothing to clear, just keep pulling the trigger. Simple. And, no shells left lying around.
However, and this in my opinion is important, concealed carry almost dictates a semi-auto. If for instance you were in a store/restaurant/whatever, and someone noticed the bulge under your clothes and called the Police - you could lose your permit, permanently.
S/A's typically are much flatter and package into a belt line or shoulder location with less bulk.

As to the point of the lawyers claiming accidental discharge, I have actually heard about this a few times from people in the field lately. Sounds like this is becomming quite a popular theory for the defense, and something to be taken into consideration. If you are thinking about carrying a revolver, I would highly recommend THIS ONE

Rugers are still made in USA and this one is a very impressive little package for CC.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #16 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 4:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yes, limp-wristing is failing to keep the wrist and grip firm when pulling the trigger. As stated above this often leads to malfunctions of various types.

post #17 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Not heard of that term. Please define limp wristing.

Regards,

Ultra LT
Limp wristing is a malfunction in an automatic pistol. If you hold one loosely the recoil energy is lost, the action does not cycle completely and you get a jam.

B D R
post #18 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 7:22 pm

This is nearly an oil thread, because your preference plays a huge part in your choice. The key is to try as many as possible, and to study as much as possible to make a good choice for you.

I have both revolver (357, Dan Wesson) and an auto-loader, (Ruger P-345). Both can have problems with misfires if you are not familiar with them, so shoot often, to make it second nature how to handle and to use without thinking. Also find the ammo that works best for you. My favorite way is to reload at the range and experiment to find the best load for me and the gun. This can be a little much for most, but I find it fun.

My son carries a Glock, and I cant hit the side of a barn with it, but he can drive tacks with it. And visa versa with the Ruger.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #19 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 8:00 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

As far as the spring in the clip go Jerry (LoneWuff) told me to have 2 clips use one & keep the other empty. Change out clips every month & you will not have any trouble with week springs as it gets to rest for a month.

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

As long as it goes "bang" when I pull the trigger I'm happy. I carried a Ruger .357 revolver for about 22 years and a S&W 5906 9MM for the last six. The only malfunction I ever had was some dirt (donut crumbs, coffee spill?) that got under the extractor at the range. Most automatic malfunctions can be cleared within a couple of seconds if you know how and practice once in awhile. For what it's worth if you never practice handling the weapon a revolver is probably best for you. If you are proficient and comfortable with it, a high capacity automatic is hard to beat. 15 rounds vs 6 rounds.
Oh yes, and my stainless Ruger revolver really was stained with coffee. Dunkin Donuts If I recall correctly.

post #21 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 9:18 pm

Quote:

If you're going to carry a revolver I think a smaller frame hammerless is the way to go. This one isn't bad link but its a bit pricey. I like a .357 for personal defense.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #22 of 41 Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
With respect to this thread, I suspect "limp wristing" is when someone firing an automatic weapon relaxes or let's their wrist go "limp"... This can cause serious accuracy and "stovepiping".
Nah - here's a real "limp wrister".

About $600.00!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pink grips.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	25066  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Nah - here's a real "limp wrister".
hahaha cute Ron, (not your's I hope)

A little off topic but our local newspaper (St. Petersburg Times)
has always had a very biased and (uneducated) anti-gun stance,
however they once made an exception when the ran a two page center "pull out" with pictures
on "the pink pistols" a gay shooting club,
confirming their other bias and personal preferences.

Back to topic,

lotsa good suggestions already, my two cents,
if you're going to go with a revolver go with the hammerless,
easier to carry and the hammer won't get caught on your pocket/clothing as you're trying to pull it.
If you decide to go with a semi-auto get a good brand name
but most important, get some range time and training with it.

Twenty some years ago I had a girlfriend that worked for Joe Redner,
as she walked from her car to my house (at 4 am)
she was robbed at gun point (they followed her home from "the club")

She banged on the door, yelled, I woke and ran outside (naked and my neighbor saw me)
with my S&W 669, that I had just bought at a gun show a couple weeks earlier,
he was gone,

It wasn't until I got back in the house that I realized the safety/de-cocker was still on,

I was not familiar enough with that weapon and being half asleep it could have turned out bad.

Edit: my "bedside" weapon now is a 44 Ruger Redhawk,
too big to carry but it will stop an elephant. just in case one ever get's loose around here.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:55 am.
post #24 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Edit: my "bedside" weapon now is a 44 Ruger Redhawk,
too big to carry but it will stop an elephant. just in case one ever get's loose around here.
That comes in handy when an elephant robs a friend @ 4am...
post #25 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:58 am

She banged on the door, yelled, I woke and ran outside (naked and my neighbor saw me)

Guns? We don't need no steenking guns! The site of seeing Hans naked - even the thought of it - is enough to send any bad guy running and screaming in horror!

(and no, I don't have a pink grip on my Stainless J-frame, and I prefer a hammer since the strap on my conceal holster loops over and secures it with a heavy duty "lift the dot" fastener. Not only can it not fall out it can't be pulled out by a bad guy unless he specifically knows how to release it.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lift the dot.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	25074  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #26 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:07 pm

I carry a full size 45(wilson COB) on duty,while off duty and while riding I usually (90%)carry a Smith&Wesson 586 with a 2.5 inch barrell.This setup works for me.No worries about jamming,weak springs etc.And with 6 rounds of 357 That is more than enought to discourage a potential bad guy.That being said,I don't try to get into a situation where I need a weapon.Also whatever you carry,you must practice with that weapon.As they say, gun control is being able to hit your target.

Vic Purvis NB4T
07RT

Alabaster,Al.
post #27 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:40 pm

As stated earlier. Carry a quality pistol. Keep it cleaned and Oiled. I have a Sig 45 and had no Jammimg issues. Before the Ammo Shortae, I use to go to the range twice a month.

Marty Galison
Surprise, Arizona

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --
post #28 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 4:45 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I carried for a lot of years and it was a 45 Spring Field Amory 1911. I had a a reloading room and a very nice progressive press set up, nice tumblers and a fair amount of dies. I shot a lot of lead out it and a fair amount of Hydra Shocks as that was what I carried in it.

I also had a Browning 9 I shot a lot of lead through and it also carried Hydro Shocks

I carried a PPK 380 Stainless when going lite also.

My favorite was and still is my Ruger SP101 in 9MM.

It is a very heavy frame 2.5" barrel 5 shot. My 9 uses a round full moon spacer ring because of the 9's lip on the brass, you put 5, 9's in, sorta like a speed loader or the old 1/2 moons on 45's, except you drop the whole thing in as a unit. Coming out same thing. When I carry , I carry 2 of them in a single speed loader pouch, so I got 15 on a good day.

Great little carry gun, no muss no fuss. Holds real nice with its weight.

The 357 was a hoot too, but I was partial to a 9 at that time and like the uniqueness of the full moon clip it uses.

The stats back when I was really into this stuff was the distance at most self defense shootings were 7 to 15 feet I think or somewhere in that range.

So I always shot a bunch of reloads approximating my carry ammo as best I could and that included shooting over chronographs to a verified FPS on a lot of powders, and in 45, 9, 380. And after a range break, and a cleaning a bit of what I carried.

As has been said training is what shooting is about. Having the act of pulling a weapon an instinct, that almost no thought of it will bring you to a ready stance. Hows your breathing technique doing these days?

Always be aware of your surroundings, always said but how often do we? I mean I am so busy half the time I do not look around when I am running errands? I know when I am armed I am a lot more conscious of my surroundings.

A little snub wheel gun in 9 or 357 is enough to defend yourself, and is about as fool proof as you can get.

But as with bikes and women, each to their own fancy.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #29 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You guys crack me up.

I just carry one of each.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #30 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 6:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: carrying a gun Revolver vs. Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
You guys crack me up.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #31 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 6:56 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
You guys crack me up.

Now dats funny

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #32 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
If you're going to carry a revolver I think a smaller frame hammerless is the way to go. This one isn't bad link but its a bit pricey. I like a .357 for personal defense.
LOVE the avatar! More people need to see that!!!

post #33 of 41 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:03 pm

Hi, Dan. The "revolver or semiauto" is one of those eternal debates. Seems to me that revolvers held sway in most quarters in the 70s and early 80s, then when the "wonder nines" came about all the marbles rolled over to the automatic side. Now that concealed carry is "in", the concealable revolvers have a strong following again.

You need to have faith in your hardware, know that it will work and that you know how to work it when the chips are down. For some folks that means a wheelgun, but I'll say on the flip side that a revolver is not 100% trouble free. I had a revolver malfunction during a match once and I was totally floored. Turns out one flake of unburned powder made its way under the ejector star and it was enough to keep the cylinder from closing. Whoda thunk? Anyway, it taught me that no machine is flawless. I have also heard of people carrying shrouded hammer J-frame S&W revolvers in pants pockets and the gun is immobilized by a coin that found its way into the slot behind the hammer.

Whichever you choose, practice a lot with the gun with the ammo you carry. Shoot from different positions, shoot weak hand, wring it out. Then you know you can trust it, not before.

Magazine springs? I generally don't leave them loaded but if you worry about springs taking a set, take the suggestion of rotating them. Shoot them dry, too, extra practice is good for you and for the gun.

If you get tired of that Browning, let me know. I bought a Hi-Power when I was young, kept it a short while and sold it to get a wheelgun. Wish I'd kept both.
post #34 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Quote:

Ya haven't got yours yet? You know you want one!

I like the Judge too, but miss my old small frame .38SP.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
post #35 of 41 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
LOVE the avatar! More people need to see that!!!
Thank you. It annoys the hell out of the usual suspects, which is just fine by me.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #36 of 41 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 7:44 am

A sawed off, rabbit ear double barreled 12 ga is easy to use, very reliable, and hard to miss with.

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #37 of 41 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamadog
A sawed off, rabbit ear double barreled 12 ga is easy to use, very reliable, and hard to miss with.
"Is that a rabbit in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

post #38 of 41 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:10 am
Just ridin'

I don't think it really matters - either of these will do in a pinch

Desert Eagle .50AE

Smith and Wesson 500 .50

All joking aside, I would recommend that carry the one which allows you to most accurately hit a target. The Ruger LCP is a great little gun, but I found it difficult for me to fire accurately. The LCP in a "Holdster" wallet is very easy to carry. Below is the Holdster with a Kel-Tec.

I also tried a S&W 637, which is not a lot larger and holds 5 rounds of .38 special. With its short barrel it iworks best with +P ammo. Here is a comparison picture of the two from another forum.

With the 637, I had the reliability and readiness of a revolver, but I still was not as accurate as I wanted to be. Since I am a fan of CZ handguns, I decided to try a CZ-2075 RaMi. It is a smaller version based upon the excellent CZ 75. I found I was able to hit my target more consistently than with either of the other smaller choices. It also is chambered in S&W .40, offering greater energy than the others. If you want lighter weight the RaMi 2075P has a polymer frame. For now, I have settled on that as the best compromise for small size, capacity and accuracy.

With an extended magazine, the RaMi has a capacity of 10 or 12 rounds in .40 or 9mm respectively and is reasonably sized in my large hands.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Deserteagle.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	25129   Click image for larger version

Name:	model500.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	25130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Holdster_br380.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	25131   Click image for larger version

Name:	637ruger.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	25132   Click image for larger version

Name:	CZ_2075_m40.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	25133  

Name:	CZ_2075_rami.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	25134  

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #39 of 41 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:17 am

Dano,
Carry what you like and feel confident with. Find a place around where you live that has an indoor range where they "rent" guns and allow you to shoot several. FL has CCW training and usually they have a few different types from which you can try out. Also figure out what you want it for. If you want it for home defense nothing beats a shotgun with OO Buck. 9 or 12 .32 cal pellets coming down the hall can stop even Jason with a knife or axe or whatever he had! 12 ga. is best and most useful but a 20 ga. will do the trick, saves a little money and will let everyone else know that you wanted to defend yourself and not blow them away.

I've been carrying for almost 23 years and have numerous handguns and other assorted "toys", all of which have their pros and cons. I have .22, .25, .32, .38, 9mm, 40, 357, 44 mag and .45 all which will do the trick and all of which can be effective. I have a Stainless .38 5 shot that loaded with +P makes a wonderful self defense that will almost always go off with a pull of the trigger. It's more resistant to sweat corrosion and you don't need to keep it as oiled as an auto. 9mm is an effective round that's still cheap enough to practice with on a regular basis. .40 Cal is almost always the same physical size as a 9mm and provides more power but a little more kick. My .45 Glock compact and .44 S&W are right on target well out beyond 25 yards. Heck there was a day when Jennings and Raven .25 autos were responsible for more people being killed than any other gun. They were cheap and sent a little bullet that tumbled all over. Most of the ammo was round ball ammo and would be considered good for nothing more than plinking cans if it were not expensive for what you got.

Most shootings are only a few rounds at close range. We carried 6 .357 mag rounds and always one behind the hammer. Unless you are looking at a Cowboy Single Action revolver, they all have a hammer safety for the last 30+ years. We can thank the lawyers for that!

If you are looking for something to carry in Tampa, first figure what you are going to wear and how you will carry it. I lived in the SW for many years and at the time we had a mandatory carry policy. Even a medium size auto is difficult to comfortably carry when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Always seemed that we were walking around hiking our pants up. Then they came out with the fanny-pack holster (Man purse!) that we all originally got but then almost everyone who carried one stood out as armed. Plus they were not a great fashion statement! I had my wife carry for me in her purse and she kept getting smaller and smaller purses, so I kept getting smaller and smaller guns.

Sorry for rattling on. Find what you really like and can afford. What will it be for and how you will carry to decide your pick. If you plan on CCW get something that you can get at but will not fall out if you need to run! There is no shame in running for cover. Also you don't want to forget it on the back of the toilet at work! If you have kids or family that knows you are carrying, make sure they know what to do. They should never mention it when you are out and they should get behind you get low and go the other way. Let your significant other handle and shoot just as often as you. These skills can come in handy if needed.

I've attached a video showing some options for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwAI8HWh9io

John

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #40 of 41 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 9:55 pm

This is a little off topic but I'll have to agree with others: if you're looking for the ultimate home defense weapon a 12 gauge with 00 buck shot is hard to beat. Even though I have a few pistols at my disposal it is the weapon I would reach for FIRST.

Think about it...

You awaken from a deep sleep to a strange loud sound - but you don't know what it is or where it came from...

You reach for a pistol which requires - even when wide awake and full in control of your senses - an extraordinary amount of concentration to shoot accurately. Did I mention it's dark? By now you are half awake and totally confused.

On the other hand - just the sound of a shotgun racking is more than likely to send a perp running for the door.

My legal Remington "deer gun" is tucked under my bed with a seriously bright LED police quality tactical flashlight mounted on it. The 870 is not fancy or pretty, but it has a reputation for being dependable. It has zero panache or coolness. I can't brag about it's fine points to my buddies since it doesn't have any.

All I need to do is:

1. Rack it

2. Turn on the flashlight- which is bright enough to disorient the perp while at the same time identify the target - and hopefully by now send a VERY serious message not only to his ears but his eyes that he has picked on someone he should not have messed with.

3. If he continues his aggression or displays a weapon - squeeze one off with an extremely high probability that I will NOT miss, and that he WILL be found in lots of small pieces on a nearby wall.

4. I have a small chance of wounding someone else in another room due to over penetration from hot loads, and I have just established for my lawyer that I was indeed in a defensive posture with a common hunting gun vs. an exotic .50 caliber handgun.

I only carry a pistol when I travel by myself out of my home turf or have to go into "bad" neighborhoods out of necessity. Other than that I consider it too much of a liability and don't want to spend my life in a constant state of mind that requires me to be that vigilant and responsible. It produces too many stress hormones and it ain't Zen - and I can still run pretty damned fast to boot.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 27th, 2009 at 10:06 pm.
post #41 of 41 Old Oct 28th, 2009, 6:01 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
.....From time to time I read of the clip/action jamming on an automatic, and you are carrying one or keeping it close for protection, wouldn't it be better to go with a small revolver......If I were to get a small concealed gun for protection and was concerned about reliability, wouldn't a revolver be the better choice? As a side question, does the clip have to be exercised regularly to keep the spring from setting?
Great questions, Dan. A revolver is the ultimate in reliability. Can't go wrong with a hammerless .357, short barrel, in stainless. I always liked Rugars. Quality at a reasonable price.

As far as magazines go, I've never had a problem with Beretta, Glock, H & K, or S & W mag's. The only time I "unload" the springs is when I clean the mag's once a year. Perhaps all mag's are not equal. Let us know what you settle on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfMan
That comes in handy when an elephant robs a friend @ 4am...
WOW! I didn't realise they were terrorizing the Netherlands, also! I thought they were native to the ghetto only? You learn something every day on this site!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in