Ride in Germany, pay and ship in US - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Ride in Germany, pay and ship in US

Hi all,
any one here in U.S.A. have ever try to buy a bike in Germany, ride couple weeks there and then ship the bike here, by the dealer?
I mean: you buy the bike here by your favorite dealer, take delivery in Germany, ride, give back to the factory there, and they will ship to your dealer here.
How it works?
Do you recommend any dealer?

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:07 pm

I looked into that when I was planning on buying my 05 LT. They used to offer this program but haven't done it for years. Was told there was nothing they (dealer) could do.
Maybe if enough of us express interest in overseas delivery they might reinstate it. I'll be ready by '08.

Bruce Hodges
'05 LT Urine Metallic
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:48 pm

Thumbs up also interested

I would like to share any information you find about puchasing in Germany. Having been stationed in Germany in the Army I am interested in European delivery. Most of the imagined problems are manageable such as driver's license, insurance, fuel, driving laws etc. The only problem i have encountered is finding a dealers point of contact. I tried pentagon car sales and they have stopped selling bikes, so I am without a lead.

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:37 pm

No idea how it may apply to motorcycles, but back when I was working for DoD, it was a common event for one of the guys to buy some nice car in Germany or the UK and then ship it home as personal. Lots of allowances, etc, etc. Was a great way to get a 'exotic' vehicle for lower cost.

Then 'bout '88 or so they changed the law. You can *NOT* import a production vehicle into the US that wasn't built to DOT standards. Pretty much put the Kybosch on buying those cheap Nurenburg Mercedes taxis and bring'n 'em home. Well, least that's what we was told when we started looking into it.

I'd think something at least similar applies to bikes. It's likely gotta be 'tagged' as made for and in compliance with DOT. Part of that rule change - if I'm remembering rightly - was 'retrofitting' wasn't allowed either. Well, for cars at least.

Be worth looking into though - good luck with it!

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #5 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A few years ago, I read about a dealership in the NYC area that had such a program.

Buy from them, ride in Germany, shipped to the dealership, where they upgrade it to US standards.

Think I would contact BMW NA to find out.

Bob
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:57 pm

Shipping Bike from Europe

I think that dealership was BMW NY, owned by a fellow named Joel if I recall correctly. He had two locations, Huntington NY (Long Island) and Manhattan (Spring Street and then West Side Highway). He is now out of the business and both locations are closed. I bought a 96 K1100RS from him. He used to offer the European Delivery option, handled the whole transaction. I know of no other dealers doing this.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:35 am

The thing that killed the European Delivery option is the fact that BMW AG in Germany only sells (wholesales) bikes to BMW NA, not to dealers. All us bike come to dealers from BMW NA. The dealer has no relationship with BMW AG.
At least that was what I was told 3 years ago when I looked into it.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:42 am

you might want to consider doing one of the motorcycle tours of europe. a number of companies put them on. they give you a bike for a few week and you ride some of the world's most beautiful roads. then when you get back to the states, buy that bike! i suspect the price difference wouldn't be too much.
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:09 pm

Let me know what you want and I am sure I can get it for you. No problem with exporting the bike. Send me a private e-mail if you need help doing this.

Stefan
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Stefan,
it is for a friend. Can you send me your e-mail and I will pass to him?

Thank you

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #11 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 6:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
When I was preparing to return to the US from the UK, I spoke with the main BMW dealer in London about trading in my UK-spec bike for a US-spec bike. I would have had to special order it, of course, but I had left enough time for that. When I went to them to make the deal, they did several things that completely annoyed me.

First, they didn't really seem to want to talk with me, or to handle an unusual transaction. I had to chase them down for several weeks to even make an appointment. Second, they offered me way too low of a trade in. I realize any bike with 36K is considered old and worn out in the UK, but the figure they quoted over the phone and what they offered on site were way different. Third, they wanted full retail on the new bike, pretty much paid up front. I figured that might happen, but they couldn't even be bothered to file the paperwork so I could get the bike VAT free.

Basically, it was "here's the total cost, leave us a check and we'll look at getting one ordered, though we're not sure how long it would take to get here." I figured even if I sold mine at bottom-dollar (or is that pound?) I could still buy a brand new one in the US and get away much cheaper and easier.

Basically it was just way to much hassle, and would have cost me money in the long run. I ended up getting my '02 at $3,500 off and 0.9% financing and riding it home that same week.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:00 am

Getting US specs in Europe

I've bought two US spec LT's here in Europe. So it can be done. Details for those who are interested:

The first bike was bought from Park Lane BMW in London. Mostly because at the time they were the only dealer I could find who were willing to special order the bike with US specs. Had some minor hassles with paperwork, and had to argue a bit on price. But basically an easy transaction. Because I was exporting the bike from the UK, I just had to file the proper forms to buy it without VAT.

Second one came from Pentagon Car sales in Ramstein Germany. They had started selling US spec bikes along with the US spec cars, to US GI's. There was a bit of paper involved in establishing my eligibility to buy from them, but once that was done, the transaction was a piece of cake.

But one think to know is that the price of an LT over here, in Euros, is higher by quite a bit than the same bike in the States. God knows what logic drives this, but it's a fact. Even WITHOUT the European VAT, you can buy the bike in the US and airship it here for the price of buying locally. And with one hell of a lot less effort.

So: re-read the para just above. This is a no-brainer if you live Stateside.

Get the fastest color, though! That's important.

Don

Don Hutchins
Kingston, WA
'03 K12LT "Stealth Starship Helga II"
K 12 Light Trucker since 1999

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in