Fat boy? HD advice.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Fat boy? HD advice..

Well, I see all the HD threads and don't know what to think.

And the only reason I'm thinking at all is due to the 2004 cranberry red HD fatboy for sale here at work for a firm 16K.

With...180 miles on it! It was an overseas' purchase (probably military).

What I don't know is a daym thing about HDs except out of all the bikes they ever made the fat boy styling has always appealed to me.

I have no idea what its worth, what kind of riding you'd do with this thing outside of cruising, etc.

any comments out there??

thanks...geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:20 am

make sure it is a 2004, or at least 2003. around 2003 (i believe), harley counterbalanced the fat boy so that it doesn't shake so much. before that it was a REAL paintshaker.

i don't think i'd buy a harley if it is not:

1) counterbalanced, or
2) rubber mounted

if it is counterbalanced (and i'm sure the 2004 is) then go for it. it's a great bike.

one shortcoming: the over/under tailpipes mean minimal room for saddlebags. there are aftermarket pipes that eliminate that problem.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

That Fat Boy ia a great bike.... IF..... you are purchasing it for around town as a play toy. Other than that I would stay on the LT for travel of any type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:04 pm
CWF

I'd check the MSRP on a new one....many times these Harley types think their used bikes should bring what a new one does. Wait...I just did at the harley site....a 2006 Fat Boy with two tone paint is a bit under $17K A two year old bike for a 5% discount....see what I mean. I love it when they say $16K FIRM...like it's a Rembrandt or something. Bikes (yes even HDs) are like Doritos ...they'll make more.

These guys are nuts!!!

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:33 pm

Actually the softail models including the Fatboy had the counter balanced Twin Cam 88B motor since the year 2000.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:22 pm

EPA sticker

"With...180 miles on it! It was an overseas' purchase (probably military)."

Was it made for foreign market export? Better make sure it had federal epa sticker depending on your states laws

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life

Last edited by glenn; Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:25 pm. Reason: add quote
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 3:46 pm

HD Ultra Classic for sale

I have a 2005 Hd Ultra Classic red firefighter special for sale- 9,500 miles, extras are a backrest, headlight modulator, trailer hitch & wired for two BMW plug for gerbings. $!8,000. They come stock with AM?FM/CB radio, cruise.
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Hello Jim -Hope your doing well and planning on stopping in again on your next trip through.
How come your selling your "special"??
Just a curious mind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in