Northeast rep. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Northeast rep.

Hi,

Does anyone have a name or phone number for the BMW representative for the Northeast ? And if anyone has any experience with him / her, are they of any help resolving problems with BMW ?

Thanks, Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:46 am
Super Moderator

Re: Northeast rep.

The correct channel for customers to use for escalating issues is BMW Customer Relations. They have a great and responsive staff and can help manage and escalate your case as needed through the organization. They have contacts and communication paths with the all the area reps, BMW engineering, and the rest of the support staff and use them all to help reach a resolution to customer issues. I have used this path a few times with very good results in resolving my problems, including the buyback and replacement of my K1200GT. I could not have asked for a better group of folks to work with.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

I'm glad you had a good resolution to your problems. However, I have had no such luck. I just got off the phone with them and asked if I could have the name and number of the Northeast Representative from BMW, and they told me they didn't know who that person is. Really ?

I'll give a quick synopsis of what has been going on with me and my RT (At least, as quick as I can).

On Labor Day week, I went on a trip from my home in New Hampshire, to Asheville, North Carolina and back. At the beginning of the week, in Chambersburg, PA, a seal went in my final drive causing all the fluid to leak out. Towed to an authorized dealer in Mechanicsburg, PA. I was told there that a seal had gone, and they didn't have the tools (Again, really ?) or the parts to fix it. But, they had a rebuilt '06 ( My bike is an '07) drive they could let me rent so that I could continue on my trip. Which I did.

Went to Asheville, and, later in the week, started on my way home. In PA, again, my transmission suffered a catastrophic failure. Had the bike towed to the same dealer who helped me out with the first breakdown. Was told that another seal had failed causing the transmission to eat itself. Again, they didn't have the parts and worse, neither, apparently, does BMW. Got a cab, went to the airport, rented a car, and drove eight hours home.

So, my bike is still sitting at the dealer in Mechanicsburg, PA and they can't tell me when my bike will be fixed. Starting to get pretty cold up here and if it goes on too much longer, I'm not sure how I will get my bike back.

I submitted my expenses to BMW Roadside Assistance for trip interruption and towing, along with a detailed letter explaining everything I had been through. Called them today, after spending too much time trying to talk with a real person, and they have no record of receiving my receipts or letter or can give me a claim status. They then told me that I was supposed to send my receipts for trip interruption to one location and receipts for towing to another location. Again, really ? Even though when I talked with BMW Roadside Assistance, as this was all unfolding, they told me to send all my info to the one location in Mass.

Okay, so I said that I would send all my trip interruption stuff to the address I was just told about. The guy on the phone said I would have to send the paperwork from the dealer in PA along with it. I said they have no idea on when the work will be done, so I can't get the final paperwork. Roadside Assistance told me I can't submit any claim without this paperwork.

I, then, asked about is there any mechanism to return my bike to me, since all of this was warranty issues with my bike and why should I have to spend more money and time to get my bike to New Hampshire as I did nothing wrong ? I was told that they didn't know if this was a possibility. Again, really ? They don't know ?

It goes on and on, but that is the gist of it. Also, two years ago, when I bought my new '07 RT, I was promised some kind of gift package from BMW for buying a new bike. Never got it. I know that's petty, but why promise me something and never deliver ? It just leaves a bad taste.

Also, one question to you guys, how many seals are there on an RT ? So far, I have had four fail. I'm not, in the least, mechanical, so I'm not sure if the same ones are failing or different ones, but four failures in 13,000 miles ? Again, really ?

Roy

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 2:37 am
Super Moderator

From what I'm reading you've been talking to Roadside Assistance, not Customer Relations. I would not expect them to know who the regional dealer reps are. Call 1-800-831-1117. Follow the prompts for motorcycle and you should get someone who can help you. Emily and Jay have been very helpful to me in the past.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 9:05 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

And not to make your day any worse, but I would not take a dog to that dealer.

You are in for a treat with them. I guess if it is warranty work you can always have your local dealer re fix it when these idiots get done with it.

If they have not started it I would haul it home to a dealer near you.

You do not have a very large window on weather right now so you may need to just bite the bullet and get it home anyway you can.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Hi Lee,

Yeah, I had a feeling they weren't the best. But, I had no choice. I don't think getting it from them before the work is done is an option. From what they tell me, my bike is torn apart waiting for parts. Have you had bad experiences with their work ?

On a good note, I called my sales guy, up here, at Second Wind BMW and he had his service manager, Shelley, call me. She started the conversation with, "First, don't worry about getting your bike. We will take care of getting it and bringing it to you. Second, I will work with BMW and you will be taken care of. Tell me what you want and it will be done." Hard to argue with service like that. To all out there, my experiences with Second Wind BMW, up here in New Hampshire, have all been outstanding. They, truly, represent what a premium brand like BMW should represent. In ten minutes of talking with her, I felt tons better. Now I feel like I have someone on my side, for a change.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how the story ends. At least now, I feel like there's a shot at a happy ending.

Roy
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:01 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
Hi Lee,

Yeah, I had a feeling they weren't the best. But, I had no choice. I don't think getting it from them before the work is done is an option. From what they tell me, my bike is torn apart waiting for parts. Have you had bad experiences with their work ?

On a good note, I called my sales guy, up here, at Second Wind BMW and he had his service manager, Shelley, call me. She started the conversation with, "First, don't worry about getting your bike. We will take care of getting it and bringing it to you. Second, I will work with BMW and you will be taken care of. Tell me what you want and it will be done." Hard to argue with service like that. To all out there, my experiences with Second Wind BMW, up here in New Hampshire, have all been outstanding. They, truly, represent what a premium brand like BMW should represent. In ten minutes of talking with her, I felt tons better. Now I feel like I have someone on my side, for a change.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how the story ends. At least now, I feel like there's a shot at a happy ending.

Roy
Glad to hear your dealer has gotten involved. As a rule, BMW's policies and procedures work very well if a good dealer is involved and driving the process. Unfortunately, not all dealers are aware of all of the policies or don't feel like investing the effort to avail themselves of remedies that are in place. Where the system breaks down is frequently at the dealer level.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:01 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Sounds like "Your" dealer is making everything right by you. As for the 4 seals that have failed it could be the same seal every time. I have a friend here in Austin that had a seal go out while on the road. He had it replaced and road home to Texas. Less then 1000 miles later the seal started leaking & it was replased again. 300 miles later it was leaking again. This time Lone Star BMW (Local dealer) took the time to inspect the shaft closer only to find a bir on the shaft. They said it looked like the shaft was hit by something causing the bir. Oddly enough the damage was "INSIDE" the motor and could have only happened when it was apart. Then they went on to say that it "Could" have been caused by the first Dealer that installed the first seal but had no way to know for sure. This was over 20,000 miles ago and the last seal still works. Point is anything can happen but if you have a GREAT Dealer & a good relationship with that dealer you get results.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
Hi Lee,

Roy

I also have had great success with the Second Wind dealership (clutch) - Shelley is outstanding to work with. Joe in Parts is also very good to deal with. I like having a dealer you can go to or call and they know you by name and treat you the way a customer should be treated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in