More Harley Bashing ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

More Harley Bashing !

I just got back from a vacation in Arizona. Rented a 2006 Harley Electra Glide Classic. My first impression of the bike was that it was way over priced. The level of detail and quality of the parts are surprising - Compared to the LT the Harley is cheap, the parts are junk. For the life of me I cannot see where the selling price comes from. I must admit after riding the bike I was pleasantly surprised. It felt as though it were a much smaller bike than the LT. The slow speed handling and acceleration from a stop are head and shoulders above the LT. But you could make two Harleys from one LT. I really liked the Harley and would love to have one. The only problem I have is coming to grips with the fact that the Harley is way overpriced. It should retail for much less than it does. I did get a giddy feeling when riding with other bikers - especially other HD riders - I guess this is what you pay for. No wonder there are so many HD Dealers too - they make a killing selling accessories to make these bikes perform similar to a bike like an LT. Not too mention the markup on the bikes, it has to be astronomical. I would buy one tomorrow if I did not feel like I was being taken advantage of. Shame on HD. I guess they have a good thing for now - but I am afraid that one day it will catch up with them. Maybe less is more ! or I am just ignorant.

Last edited by markfran; Feb 1st, 2006 at 12:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:21 pm

maybe when it's time for resale harley riders will feel slightly less ignorant.

speaking for myself, i bought an '03 LT new and, although i love the bike, i feel PLENTY ignorant ... for not buying used and letting someone else take the Big Hit.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 2:14 pm

It is straight forward economics, supply and demand. As long as there is a seemingly never ending supply of week end bad biker wannabes, HD motorcycles will not only continue to be high priced but priced at well over MSRP in most major markets. Harley Davidsons are now a fashion statement and a vehicle, pardon the pun, for social interactions. I got my first HD in 1972 and if you adjust for inflation they are probably going for about the same amount of money today. That doesn't mean they aren't over priced. I now have a customized Heritage Softail garage queen that is now my sunny day poser . I don't regret what I paid for it or how much money I have put into it since I bought it. If I paid for it instead of feeding my family or sending my kids to college then I would say my priorities were all screwed up. When these things were an issue I didn't own a HD.

A large number of the HD purchases are baby boomers that suddenly find they have money to throw at hobbies and just enough testosterone left to want to try and relive their youth. Most of them aren't shopping for value they are shopping for an image. HD has cultivated an image and Hollywood has help sell it to the masses. As long as people are lining up to buy every single motorcycle they build don't expect HD to lower their prices any time soon .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 2:58 pm

I ride an Lt and a RoadKing Classic often.I enjoy both but my Lt performs much better at every thing. Especially acceleration. Maybe the RoadKing needs a tune up!

Doc
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

I agree ! HD's are your best bet as far a resell goes, but again , you paid too much to begin with. You are buying an Image and a $10,000 bike. Plastic surgery may be an option. Maybe HD will get into that too.
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

By the way, I did buy my LT used in 05. It was an 02 LTC with 975 miles on it. Gave $12,000 for it. saved a bundle. With deals like this out there Hardley should be suffering. BMW should take some marketing lessons from HD.
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 4:35 pm

You know, I rode HDs for years as a motor cop. They were loud, slow, no brakes, they rattled and shook, leaked gallons of oil and wouldn't start in the cold....but, God, how I loved 'em! Like many of you, I have many friends with HDs who would rather sell their kids to the gypsies than give up their HD.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Hell, I just LOVE old English sports cars...Morgan, Riley, MG, Triumph, and nary a one of them could be described as reliable, well made or safe, but I still love 'em!

And by the way, I live about 20 miles from the HD factory in York, Pa. and there are many hard working folks there that would disagree. They are well paid with great bennies! HD must be doing' somthin' right!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 4:45 pm

Dave,
You are right. I rode one for work for 5 years. Always brought me home, never had to call a wrecker, can not say the same for the RT. Alternator belt broke twice and twice I had to get towed in. Harley always got me home, with parts in the saddle bag, but never never called a wrecker.

There is something about the Harley, 1/2 helmet, horse pants and boots.
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 4:52 pm

Well. Last night all the motorcycle shows were on SpeedChanel and one of their supporters is Geico insurance.. During the Show all you saw were Harleys. But when the Geico commercial came on and the announcer said something about a motorcycle being a "Thing of Beauty" They were showing an LT. Just like mine......

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 5:40 pm

I guess they have a good thing for now - but I am afraid that one day it will catch up with them. Maybe less is more ! or I am just ignorant.
Mark,Your statement is already starting to come true. If you purchased a Harley brand new from the late 1990'S to 2004 you most likely paid full invoice plus a few grand in most places, Since then they are only getting invoice and in a lot of cases significant discounts from invoice. I think we will start seeing their prices decline even more. I Enjoy riding them myself but do not consider them a motorcycle for serious riders. Day tripping to the pubs their great!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 6:07 pm

hmmmm ... i've said it before and i'll say it again. you guys must hang out with a different kind of harley rider. all my friends who ride harleys rack up some big miles, and i routinely see them out in the middle of nowhere, with not a tavern in sight. lots of 'em own both beemers and hawgs.

you have to give harley some credit. they have tried in the past few years to develop new products with new engineering. a new water-cooled engine by porsche. etc.

but after some initial success, the buying public has largely turned their backs on these new bikes. they want air-cooled hawgs, period.

so ask yourself. you are sitting at the big desk at H-D. your loyal customers are snapping up every hawg you manufacture. why change? why not continue to capitalize on what customers want? you'd be a fool not to.
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

I agree with you ! But it is a shame that image is what sells the Harley, It is not the quality of the materials. It is obvious they are selling like hotcakes - but I am afraid it is a fad and they will get in trouble again when people realize what they are buying. When the baby boomers are gone and the fad has faded - what next. Personally I want value for my money - I do not see it in the HD product. They may run for ever, but so will a 1969 Beetle.
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Image?

Image? Really? Well, like it's said, "If I have to explain, you'll never understand." I've been there, HD forgot about that little tidbit.

I'm currently enjoying my "banishment" from the Hogpen... Will it last? Probably. I certainly will never purchase another one.

If you ride, that's the most important thing.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:56 pm

I enjoyed my Roadking immensely. It was comfortable (once I added a new seat, backrest, different handlebars, road pegs, stereo hookup, cruise control, handle grips, etc.). Some of that had to go on the LT, of course, to make it more comfortable. However, the resale value of the bike far exceeded what I'll see from the LT. They do hold value very well. While I wouldn't go back to Harley because they rape you on the the many accessories that you really need to make it comfortable, and the chrome you just gotta have to make it look sharp and enviable. I believe Harley will always fill a certain niche in the bike market, and that's what helps their stock continue strongly in spite of the economy. I say each to their own.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:58 pm

Personal Choice/Comfort/Need

Gotta jump in here and put my .02 in ...

I have owned a R1100RT (32K), K1200LT (24K), Triumph 955i Daytona (6K), Triumph Tiger 955i (12K), R1200GS (7K) and finally have settled on my 04 HD Ultra (now at 9K)...

I thoroughly enjoyed all of my BMW's, the Triumphs etc. Probably the least favorite was the 955i Daytona.. That was strictly a comfort issue and the fact that no one could see me on the road !

I kept the K12LT longer than any of the other bikes (4yrs), less mileage is obvious, but I have been so involved in my motorcycle business, my riding time has really suffered ! NUTS>>>> ! ! ! ! The LT treated me well and I had everything on it that you could ever need, but I got bored with it ! That is probably why I had some of the other bikes at the same time, some business related, others just experimenting, but at the end of the road, right now, based on my riding habits and needs,I have decided that the HD suits my needs, easier to ride in all conditions based on my riding habits and is easier on my body than any of the other bikes were, when you include back, seat and arm positions...

I can ride all day on the Harley, with stock seat and not get tired, sore, etc...
Yes it suffers some on gas mileage, protection lacks between the upper fairing and the lowers, but I only get wind around top of my knees to my waist. And yes, I hate having to clean the chrome, but then with my limited riding time, I don't have to worry about it that much...

I have XM, Muth Mirrros, CB, Intercom, CD, Cell Ph Hook-up if I want it, so I don't do without any of the accys I have become used to using.

Price ! Engineering and workmanship are real positives on the BMW side. Harley is still Harley and always will be. At least we don't have oil leak issues and/or electronic issues anymore. At least I have not had problems on the last two HD's I have owned...

Another plus away from BMW is the dealer network for HD. Almost everywhere you go, but unless it's an emergency breakdown, they are not needed unless I want a T-shirt or something while traveling !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in