Taking Up Residence South of the Borde... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Taking Up Residence South of the Borde...

The kids are out of the house, most of the bills are paid for so the wife and I have started to kick around the idea of moving to Mexico. In reading some past articles in the AARP magazine (don't laugh) it appears others before us have had similar thoughts to the point that there are now many thousands of ex-pats living all over Mexico.
I'm looking for information on purchasing property in Mexico. The ideal would be somewhere 20-30 miles from a large town. I'd also like to get some feedback from anyone who has information about living in Mexico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 7:53 pm

I can't tell you from personal experience but I have read up on that subject a little bit and suggest that you look into Baha California.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 12 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 8:33 pm

The problem is that in most places you cannot actually buy the land, only the home on it, then lease the land. The long term leases have little guarantee that they will actually be honored for their stated life. A few people lost their homes a couple years back when the land was taken back and they did not even get any of their home value back! I think that only Mexican citizens can actually own land.

Living so near Mexico I have known several people I worked with over the past few years who lived in Baja, near Tijuana.

Personally, I don't trust the Mexican government to do ANYTHING that is right, especially for Americans. I have heard way to many horror stories of many types. I don't even want to visit Mexico any longer. I have been there quite a few times, but now only if my company needs me to visit our division or another company there. Even then I go with great trepidation. I can look out my window and see Tecate Peak, about 15 miles away.

On my last motorcycle ride down there, several of us from the San Diego BMW club went to Ensenada for lunch, parked in a restaurant lot that promised us someone would be continuously watching the bikes. When we left one of our group found his tank bag had been stolen. The manager just shrugged.

Some of Mexico is pretty nice, but NOT within 100 miles of the border. Too many desperate people who will rip you off at the first chance. Too bad the Mexican "government" is so crooked and incompetent. A high percentage of the Mexican people are still suffering greatly, with NO hope of a decent government ever taking over.

There are a few nice enclaves along the coast where Americans own nice homes, and live a pretty nice life, but they are somewhat isolated, and have to traverse areas much less "safe" to go anywhere.

We have several people in the BMW club who have taken trips on motorcycles, and enjoyed them, but they will NOT go alone, and want several people together in case of any problems.

You sure don't want to be in much of Mexico as an American citizen and have a medical emergency!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Wink

I don't quite see Mexico in the same doom-and-gloom light as you Dave, there are over a 100,000, if not more, retired Americans living south of the border. Based on my research so far most of them seem sane and fairly reasonable in their choice of making Mexico their home.
You may have a point about the land-lease nature of real estate, it'll be something I'll have to research further. I would think with the purchasing power retired Americans are bringing into the country the Mexican government is going to do the best it can to ensure the transition to living in its country is a smooth one.
There are plenty of people in the states who make a very nice living ripping off the elderly and I'm just referring to OUR government, not all the other maggot riddled weasels....oh, oh, I almost took that second step onto my soapbox, sorry.
I appreciate your input, keep the dialog going.
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 9:34 am

i would listen closely to what dave says. he lives within shouting distance of the border.

i have been researching life in mexico myself and at first blush it sounds great. affordable ocean front property. medical care is decent and actually affordable, even if you don't have insurance (something to think about if you're going to retire).

i have also heard there are large u.s. communities living down there, and a growing infrastructure to support them.

the other things dave is saying are giving me pause.

if i were you i'd actually spend some time south of the border talking to realtors and if possible americans who are living there. that's what i'll be doing, should i ever get serious about it.
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 9:37 am

Question

How is our government ripping of the elderly?
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 9:52 am

Evidently you have not spent much time dealing with the new drug prescription plan
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndairian
I don't quite see Mexico in the same doom-and-gloom light as you Dave, there are over a 100,000, if not more, retired Americans living south of the border. Based on my research so far most of them seem sane and fairly reasonable in their choice of making Mexico their home.
Yes, there are quite a few, as I mentioned. I certainly am not saying that moving to Mexico should not be considered. I have worked with Maquilidora operations since moving to CA 20 years ago. If you visit American plants in Tijuana often you do develop a bit of doom and gloom, mostly because of the fact that the border towns are probably one of the worst examples of life in Mexico in the eyes of Americans. The Mexican people on the whole are great, hard working people. Unfortunately, their government does not match that outlook on life. If the Mexican government had even a modicum of respect for the people we would not have so many trying to "escape" north. That is what makes the border areas so unappetizing, the hordes who have made it that far and are stuck trying to survive until they can get across. A great number of them are not even Mexican, but Guatamelan, Peruvian, etc., and have even less respect for "law" since they are already illegal aliens in Mexico.

There ARE nice areas in Mexico, once you get far enough south. The Monterey area is quite nice, as is Baja once you get far enough south to be out of the migratory path.

Advise: Don't even think of driving across the border without buying Mexican insurance! Not even for a day visit. A little fender bender there with no Mexican insurance can have you in for a real stressful battle, and little hope for a good outcome.

My insurance company includes Mexican coverage for the car, but it is only affective if you call and tell them when you will be in Mexico, and if you have also purchased Mexican insurance in addition!

Go, inspect, and yes, enjoy. Just be very aware of the risks.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would look at Rocky Point condos. they are better to own than a home because you can leave for a couple months, lease it out, then return to occupy it. If you had a motor home coach you could travel during that time. Very many options....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:27 pm

I'm not too familiar with the environment on the mainland side but Baja is jumping with Gringos. The surfers tend to favor the Pacific side, I like the gulf side, it's a little warmer.
I feel safer in Baja than I do in LA. To be sure, there are thugs in every country but Baja is mostly rural. I don't dawdle in the border towns and just get on south. The people are great and Baja generally has a higher standard of living than the mainland.
Land can be "bought" with a ...

>> "Fedeicomiso - Bank Trust - This is the best way to hold property in Mexico. There has been a lot of misinformation about the safety of property ownership in Mexico. Sure, there have been some scandals and in previous years the government was far more corrupt than today. The Bank Trust has been available for decades. They use to be for 30 years, but in 1997 were extended to 50 years and are renewable. The holding of property with a bank trust gives the buyer full fee simple rights. You can hold, enjoy, build, resell and will your property. There is a set up fee and a yearly fee for the bank to hold your deed in trust. Again, use a title company and they will make sure that your bank trust is set up properly" <<

I just lifted that from this ...http://www.homeloansmexico.com/importantMexico.html website.

Just google "Baja real estate" and settle in. Knowledge is power. I do know that US title insurance companys will now insure Mex property... so it can't be too wildly risky.

My best friend is building now in Los Barriles and I am actively shopping for property right now. I hope to retire there myself. Maybe set up "Rancho GS" and host visiting Motorcyclists!

Bueno Suerte! (good luck!)

P.S. You may want to take a look at Panama also. They are actively seeking retirees. If you can show a monthly income you're welcomed with open arms. www.sovereignsociety.com is a nice site for offshore living/investing info.

Last edited by Keith; Feb 3rd, 2006 at 12:12 am.
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Keith. The web info. was vr. helpful. Panama is an option we haven't as yet fully explored. For the time being I'll be doing more research and looking up old contacts from my days subbing for PeMex. A road trip to Mexico is also on the books for later this fall.
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:49 am

You should checkout San Miguel de Allende at http://www.allendesma.com/sanmiguelinfo.php
This is where my friends live and where my La Carrera race car was built and is kept. (MHracing.com.mx). You can own the land here since it is not on the coast. San Miguel de Allende has lots of Americans living there. The elevation is about 6000 ft.. I am building a house with Mats Hammurland who has just finished his own house and is now building another for someone and then will start on mine. I think this is the type of place you are looking for, Away from the tourist places of Mexico and a very low cost of living after paying for your house. A full time maid is about $300 a month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in