We went down, down, down..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

We went down, down, down.....

Riding to meet the boys at the Blanco Bowling Alley this morning, raining and early. On Ranch Road 32 about 3 miles from 281 doing about 60 mph on straight road the rear end started sliding, I goosed her and corrected, the rear end slid the other way, goosed her and corrected and she swapped ends. It was just like being on ice, no control and we went down.

We were both sliding backwards on the road, I kicked away from her, saw the grass was coming closs so I crossed my arms. Hit the grass and tumbled a few times, kicked away from her again and ended up on my back about five feet from her, both of us pointing backwards.

Moved my toes, wiggled my fingers, took a couple of breaths, no pain, so I sits up. That went well, so I stood up. Success so far, so I did a little walking. Felt some pain in the right ankle and left ribs, but nothing debilitating.

Many cars and pickups went by, I sat next to barbara for a minute to think. Finally, a lady stops. We're out in the middle of nowhere, a crashed bike, a rider and the only person who stops is a lady. Granted, she's a country gal and could prolly kick my ass on my best day, but what a sweetie.

She calls the authorities and about 10 minutes later, not one, but three bambulances show up. I tell them I'm fine, but they insist that I step into a bambulance. I ask how much is that gonna cost me and they start laughing and tell me they want out of the rain and it isn't gonna cost me nada. So, they take my info and spit me out just as a sheriff shows up.

He asks me into his car, I'm wet and muddy, but he tells me there's been worse and go on in. I tell him I'm not carrying, give him my paperwork and we sit there and chat while he runs me and he fills out paperwork.

barbara is on an incline on her right side (she never flipped or tumbled, to which I attribute to the wet), pointing down, there is no way I can pick her up, but I do get the trunk open, everything falls out, I get my cell and call Dick and Sandy. Dick offers me a ride beyotch, which I decline and which makes the sheriff chuckle and Sandy is on her way.

A State Trooper shows up, works the accident and attributes it oil in the road. He said he would've wrote me up if it was in a corner, but on a straight run and by the marks in the road, I wasn't speeding or riding at an unsafe speed.

A wrecker shows up, not a flat bed, but the only one around in the galaxy, so I would presume. It takes all three of us to pick her up, which was fun and muddy. The right side is scratched, mirror gone, handle bar folded under at the throttle.

Sandy shows up and we go to the emergency room in New Braunfels. Sprained right ankle and bruised ribs. They give me a scrip for hydrocodone or something like that, which I'm not gonna take and set me loose.

The bike is being picked up by Lone Star, I'm laying in bed doing the RICE thang and it still be raining outside.

I did miss a good breaky at the Blanco Bowling Alley and I'm sure lunch was fun, too. Que sera, sera.

I was wearing First Gear riding pants, a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket, Z-Teknic boots, Thurlow deer skin gloves and an Arai 3/4 helmet. Not one centimeter of road rash.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your slippage Griff.. Glad you weren't seriously hurt.....

Wondering what kind of tires you were running...Probably wouldn't have made a difference because of the oil.....

Just glad as hell you're OK..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Red face Glad you're okay!

That must have made you see the world with large eyes! Glad you're okay, that sounds like a close call. I'm still a bit new to the LT as I have been riding this beast for only 2 years, but this fall I had the back end wanting to come around on me in wet leaves on a tight curve. Luckily I was able to catch it and it didn't swap ends like yours. You get 900 lbs. going in a direction you don't want it to and it gets tough to correct.

Again glad to hear you're okay and now it sound like an 06' might be in your future.

Gene Sweeney

Gene Sweeney

post #4 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Sorry to hear you went down, but glad to hear you are not seriously hurt. I have been getting rather lax about wearing the proper protective gear; your post reminds me that you always need to be prepared for such unexpected mishaps.
post #5 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Angry Don't you just hate it !

A perfectly good day screwed up by some gooooo on the road..

Glad to hear your ok, and even remember events while tumbling on the ground !

Scratches can be fixed, paint can be fixed.. but, our old bodies keep getting more sensitive as each day goes by ! Not as tuff as we used to be, right ?

make the best of the rest of the weekend... Jim

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #6 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ouch!

Glad to hear you came through the slide with minimal injuries Grif.
Sounds like "Barbara" will be back to action without too much suffering.
I still have a spare blue right mirror if you can use it. (Free gratis)

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Last edited by bustedknuckles; Jan 28th, 2006 at 2:27 pm.
post #7 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

I was riding Bridgestones.

Axshooly, if I have to crash, this is the way I want to do it. I'm gonna lay in bed, read and watch movies. Sandy's in the kitchen getting me a bowl of ice cream with chocolate on it.

It happened in slo-mo and wasn't anythang to get upset about. El Jeffe tells me if I want an 06 I should just go get one and quit playing games. I sincerely hope barbara is not totalled, I likes her mucho.

After reading the title of this post, who do you imagine I was listening to on the way home from the horsepistol?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Johnny Cash?

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #9 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Grif:
Glad you're alright, could have been a lot worse. You'll be sore tomorrow, might change your mind about the pills. Head that off and take the prescription tonight, won't hurt so bad tomorrow. Couple more days and you'll be just fine again.

Gunny
post #10 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:00 pm

OUCH Grif! Glad to hear you're in one piece... nothing like fresh rain on an ol' oil soaked road. I think your Avatar REALLY captures the moment... get well soon and at least take some Ibuprofen for a couple of days to keep the swelling and inflammation in check - you'll have a lot less pain too.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:04 pm

Boy, I am thankful you weren't hurt any worse Griff. THat was a pretty scary account - I can't imagine swapping ends on bike!

I'm a bit suprised no one stopped to help until the lady, guess a dazed, wet, muddy biker sitting by the road is normal.

Smart move going to the ER to get the once over.

Heal quick amigo!
post #12 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Smile

glad to hear you are ok, don't sound like she's hurt too bad, just stay in bed and milk the sympathy for all you can.
post #13 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Sure glad you were not hurt much Grif! Hope Barbara comes out with a clean bill of health too. I sure know how much one of these hunks of metal can become attached to your soul. I still miss Bat Byke terribly. Not getting to say goodbye to her still hurts. The body pain goes away. The pain to the soul remains.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Sorry about the mishap, but glad youre okay. You must be the only person in Texas that wasn't happy to see rain. You were in a drought there weren't you?

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #15 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:56 pm

OMG!!! Wow, Grif, soooooo happy that you are alive. I know how scary it is to such a mishap. Glad to see that you are well enough to share your experience. Well, like Jeff said, now or at least when you are well enough, is the time to pick out a new one. I know how attached one can get to the bike.

I wish you a speedy recovering and make sure you get back on that horse, I mean bike.

All the best,
Hector
post #16 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 4:15 pm

Smile

Hey Grif; glad to know you're still with us. Do your drugs and enjoy the ice cream! Give MS Barbara a big ole hug when you can and let 'er know it wasn't her fault...

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #17 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Cool

Dang Griff, Thats no way to treat a lady! Glad youre okay, hope all goes well with barbara, to ride another day.

Relax and enjoy the break,

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #18 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I was wearing First Gear riding pants, a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket, Z-Teknic boots, Thurlow deer skin gloves and an Arai 3/4 helmet. Not one centimeter of road rash.
So sorry to hear it, bro. Let Sandy take care of you, and know you're in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #19 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Grif,

Glad you're ok. You said not a scratch on you, but how did the inside of the close fare? I know I wouldn't have been able to have worn mine again. I would have had to have told the sheriff I was carrying, 'cause after what you described I would have been packin' in my shorts.

Get well soon.
Keith
post #20 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Just got back from my first ride this year. Sorry to read about your mishap but sure glad you can tell us about it! take care.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #21 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 5:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Question Glad to hear you are ok, but...

Quote:
A State Trooper shows up, works the accident and attributes it oil in the road. He said he would've wrote me up if it was in a corner, but on a straight run and by the marks in the road, I wasn't speeding or riding at an unsafe speed.

Thanks for letting us know you are doing well under the circumstances. When you are felling better I would like to know more about your conversation with the State Trooper. For the life of me I can't figure out why he would've cited someone after stating there was "oil in the road" regardless if it were straight and level or in a curve. In Orygun the troopers can use the "Basic Rule" when deciding fault. Even with Basic Rule you would have to be able to recognize there is a road hazard to avoid before the crash would be citable. What was his rationale in offering up this information? Was he just trying to make you feel better, in some sort of warped way? In any case I'm, I'm sure glad you are going to be ok.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #22 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
Thanks for letting us know you are doing well under the circumstances. When you are felling better I would like to know more about your conversation with the State Trooper. For the life of me I can't figure out why he would've cited someone after stating there was "oil in the road" regardless if it were straight and level or in a curve. In Orygun the troopers can use the "Basic Rule" when deciding fault. Even with Basic Rule you would have to be able to recognize there is a road hazard to avoid before the crash would be citable. What was his rationale in offering up this information? Was he just trying to make you feel better, in some sort of warped way? In any case I'm, I'm sure glad you are going to be ok.

He said, and I quote, "In a corner, if you wipe out, even if going below the speed limit, you weren't driving/riding in a manner conducive for safe operation of a motor vehicle. He didn't cite me immediately, he has to talk to his Sarge first, but he said he was on my side and it would be up to his Sarge.

I was never scared or frightened, not my first rodeo on crashing a bike, though the first time to do it sober

Hey Ron, your seats didn't even have a nick in them!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #23 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Just glad you're OK. Prayers are with you.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #24 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 5:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
He said, and I quote, "In a corner, if you wipe out, even if going below the speed limit, you weren't driving/riding in a manner conducive for safe operation of a motor vehicle. He didn't cite me immediately, he has to talk to his Sarge first, but he said he was on my side and it would be up to his Sarge.

I was never scared or frightened, not my first rodeo on crashing a bike, though the first time to do it sober
I guess there is only "preventable accidents" and nothing at all un-preventable even if we do not have reason to expect or can see there is a hazard. Perhaps in your case since it hasn't rained in a while and the oil/rubber buildup is significant, but what reasonable care would you have to give the situation (that you didn't already feel you were giving) to prevent this accident? This is a rhetorical question and doesn't really need an answer.

It is good that you are ok and the bike can surely be fixed. I can tell you that the sympathy thing only lasted a few days around this house, so get it while you can my friend.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #25 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Unhappy Feeling Your Pain

Grif,

I don'tknow you personally, but I feel your pain and am very happy for you that you are relaxing at home instead of some other alternate site.

Can you tell me more about why you "goosed" it when you felt the rear slip out the first time. I have tasted the asphalt a few times myself and my first reaction would have been to ease off the gas. Were you accelerating or in a neutral throttle or slowing at 60? How did you figure out that you needed more throttle when the rear moved out?

It seems like the SPO was doing you a favor writing it up - that will probably help your insurance claim, no?

Again, sorry about your get off and glad you are ok!!!
post #26 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:19 pm

DANG! I hate to hear this -- *very* happy to hear all the parts are still attached and not broken!

I greatly understand the hope for Barbara being fixable -- hard to part with such a strong bond. If there's anything that she needs that I have in my pile-of-parts, say the word and it will be on its way!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #27 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Garage
Grif:

Like I was told by our fellow forum members a few weeks ago when I went down in Puerto Rico, I'm very glad you're alive to tell your tale. One more testament to wearing proper gear when riding. I hope to meet you in person, perhaps at CCR and we'll compare scars Good luck to you in getting "barbara" back in shape. BTW, I would take the advice others have given you and at least take some pain relievers tonight to get a head start on the soreness and inflammation you'll likely have tomorrow. Remember what I do for a living...

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
17 Rolls Royce Wraith
18 BMW 750i
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #28 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Grif,
Here's to a speedy recovery for both of you. Remember any crash you can walk away from is a good one. However they all suck.
Best Regards

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #29 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Glad you are ok Griff. I was sitting at the bowling alley alone when 3 EMS guys came in. They proceeded to tell some of the locals that they had just gotten back from a motorcycle mishap on 32......One of them came over to the table ( since I had my First Gear suit on) and said that he thought it was someone coming to join us. I asked him the color of the bike and knew right away that you would be coming from that direction. I waited for Dick to show up to be sure that he knew. Of course that is when he called you. We considered going to the scene but figured that you would be gone by the time we got there. The EMS guys said that the wrecker was on its way when they left. After an event like that, the last thing you need is to be seen as Dick's Byotch going home. Since she didn't flip, I sure hope she can be fixed. I still miss my 2000LTC, but enjoy the new one as well.

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #30 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Glad you are ok. Relax, do what the wife says, get Barb repaired and if we don't see ya' at LT Spring Training will see ya' at CCR!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #31 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Grif, we are SO relieved you are ok!!!!!

Heal fast so Becky can give ya a Big Ole Hug!!!!!!

Steve and Becky
post #32 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Man, I wuz crushed when you voided my ride-beyotch offer - that dayam seat has never been sat on and is like brand new. Ole Toad wuz figgerin' since you already did the 8-second ride, we'd just take her eazy comin' outta the chute and follow Barbara home!! Course, Sandy is mo' bettah at tender love and care than Kellenbenz woulda been!

Glad you're minorly bruised and spranked - goes without saying that you should yelp if there's anythang this TXican can do for ya (like brang ya a Bowling Alley pie after you finish the ice cream with chocolate! ).

BTW - we did tell Andy, and Eric Prall and his wife, of your misfortune when we met 'em in Lampasas. Beeg sigh of relief when they heard you were minimally damaged. However, we were all so distraught at the newz, no one ordered dessert!!!

Needless to say, we missed ya, Bud; talked 'boutcha a lot tho!!
post #33 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Unhappy

Grif, sorry to hear about you and Barbara going down, but glad to hear you aren't seriously hurt! I hope everyone can take this as a real good reason to wear the proper protective gear! your circumstances should serve to remind all of us that you always need to be prepared for unexpected mishaps. Nobody plans an Accident!

Sure do hope you and Barbara can get back together too! I know that Katie is a Bike I would surely hate to lose, cause she really has been great so far! Rear drive not withstanding!

Rest, take those meds, and accept Sandar's great hospitality!

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #34 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Grif, sorry to hear about you and Barbara going down, but glad to hear you aren't seriously hurt! I hope everyone can take this as a real good reason to wear the proper protective gear! your circumstances should serve to remind all of us that you always need to be prepared for unexpected mishaps. Nobody plans an Accident!

Sure do hope you and Barbara can get back together too! I know that Katie is a Bike I would surely hate to lose, cause she really has been great so far! Rear drive not withstanding!

Rest, take those meds, and accept Sandar's great hospitality!
Hey, John - that's one thang I've alwayz admired about Grif (and Sandy) - it's ATGATT. Don't matter even if it's 106 degrees out - it's ATGATT. I think one of the many reasons he dons ATGATT is his thoughtful concern for Sandy!! Wish I had his discipline - I'm ashamed that I don't, butt I'm gonna git after it!!
post #35 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Good work,

you done good.
Been there, done that. A couple o times.
Happens fast huh?
Some of what keeps you from getting it worse is reflex, some is good luck, and maybe the hand of angels.
Glad to hear you walked away.
I hope the aches and pains go quickly.
And the fix-up on the bike is easy too.
post #36 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:03 pm

"Hey Ron, your seats didn't even have a nick in them!"

That's cause they were the first set I ever made - SOBER!!

I wish I could get Amy to feed me ice cream in bed, but if it takes slidin' down the road backasswards I think I'll pass. BTDT!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #37 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Glad you are ok.
post #38 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:30 pm
lad

Dayam, scheeeitzam

Hey Mr. Grif,

Some people will go to extrordinary lengths to get some new farkles for their 2 wheeled ladies.

Sorry to hear about your urchbang. I am glad that you're ok. I guess it wasn't a very good week for ridin' in the SouthCentral area.

Maybe we should have a tech session to fix up Barbara's little dings and bruises, once you're back to 100%.
post #39 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your spill, Grif. I'm glad to hear that you are fairly unscathed; all the best for healing up real soon. I hope the damage to Barb can be healed quickly as well, them women don't like not lookin' purdy!

Take good care of yourself, my friend.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #40 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneteeth
Grif,

Can you tell me more about why you "goosed" it when you felt the rear slip out the first time. I have tasted the asphalt a few times myself and my first reaction would have been to ease off the gas. Were you accelerating or in a neutral throttle or slowing at 60? How did you figure out that you needed more throttle when the rear moved out?

It seems like the SPO was doing you a favor writing it up - that will probably help your insurance claim, no?
Sure, I learned this one the hard way with a broken collar bone. When a bike is in a slide if you let off on the throttle you'll most likely high side. In the last 36 years of riding, broken bones, pins, rods and road rash, I've found that you can usually gas your way out of trouble.

My trouble was the asphalt I was on was eggsackry like ice.

Oh, he wrote it up, he just didn't write me up.... like in a ticket!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #41 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Man, I wuz crushed when you voided my ride-beyotch offer - that dayam seat has never been sat on and is like brand new. Ole Toad wuz figgerin' since you already did the 8-second ride, we'd just take her eazy comin' outta the chute and follow Barbara home!!
Wanna ride me and my cane bitch to Austin next week?

I woulda rode her home, but the throttle side of the handle bar was smoothe folded under.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #42 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Wink Atgatt!

Well good for Grif and Sandy Dick! And you really might want to rethink your ways. With the stuff they make these days that breath as good as our T-shirts did in years past, why not?

As far as Marilyn and I, we are religious about ATGATT!! Ever since our slide on the gravel in Northern Call back in '01. We had our Kilamanjaros on, but just Levis for the legs. Ripped open my left knee something awful! So it don't matter if it is 113' out there, we're covered!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #43 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Wow what a story. Glad your ok, and hope your up and around in full strength quickly.

I saw something just like this a few years back (except it involved a car). I was heading into work one misty morning when I started smelling diesel fuel (I don't drive diesel so knew it wasn't mine). Well about a mile later there was a car that had lost control and hit the cement barrier separating the 4 lane I was on.

Luckily I was already slowed down, as the emergency vehicles were just coming from the other direction. The person wasn't hurt, but the car sure was and they quickly got police out to slow people up the road so no other vehicles wrecked that I am aware of.

Apparently a diesel tanker had a valve leaking and spreading fuel on the road. It didn't even dawn on me that it could be slippery at the time I first smelled it.

You never know what's gonna come at you I guess. Thanks for sharing as it's something I will think about as well.

Again heres to a speedy recovery and hoping your bike is not to bad off either.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #44 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Really glad you're sorta okay, and don't have to cash in to many "pity me" points with Sandy!

Here's a picture of you at Breck. I think what you were expounding about was,
"Yeah, and you should see this baby go when I turn her sideways!"

Recover quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_86641.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	1715  

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #45 of 97 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So Glad to hear you are okww-dokee Grif. Pull'em up, put'em on and get goin again real soon....

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #46 of 97 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:29 am

Sorry to read of your accident grif. Hope you're back on the road soon.
post #47 of 97 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:50 am

I consider it good to gain from others experiences. Thanks for sharing. It's tough enough going through that - but for you to then share, way cool. Thanks.

2nd best part of all this was the reading about 'goosing' when the rear breaks free. Thanks for the insight! That's going to be a tough reflex to over-come, but more info the better.

1st was knowing you're OK inspite of gravity :up:

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #48 of 97 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 1:24 am
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Grif,

Glad to hear you're in one piece!

Enjoy the pharmaceuticals and a few movies before you get back in the saddle

Take care,

Bill

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #49 of 97 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 7:15 am

Dang it Grif! Make sure you take it easy for a few days (weeks)...
post #50 of 97 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 7:38 am

Grif, sorry to hear about your go down, down, down; but really glad you had no serious injuries. Not much you can do when there's oil or antifreeze stuff on the road, especially in the rain. Keep the recovery as short as possible. Maybe Jeff is right and an 06 is on your horizon? Anyway, keep on gettin better.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in