post #1 of 10 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Rossi and F1

for the race fans ... looks like rossi is set to launch a new career:

http://www.formula1.com/news/3947.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Cool

Rossi is an amazing rider. I wonder if there is a relationship here with this story and the rumours that Michael Schumacher may jump ship in a year or two? Just speculating ...

Mike McIntosh
2005 K1200LT, 2008 K1200S
1998 K1200RS-sold May 2006
BMWMOA,BMWRA
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685ursus
Rossi is an amazing rider. I wonder if there is a relationship here with this story and the rumours that Michael Schumacher may jump ship in a year or two? Just speculating ...
i believe michael's next jump will be into retirement. at least from the driver's seat!

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:47 pm

His lap times are about 3 seconds off the pace. He's got a LOT of learning to do. Although...it might do him some good to learn how to lose again.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Three seconds? Chump change to a guy who has proven week after week to be courageous and fearless without being stupid. He very seldom trashes the hardware, yet wrings more out of it than anyone else...it would seem if he was in the top car with total commitment to the venue and a few hundred more laps he'd be uncatchable. Smooth move in a PR way also for F1 and Farrari.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

he has been known to set track records on the last lap of a tightly fought race ... after his tires have gone off and everyone else is slowing down dramatically. he is the best motorcycle racer of our time ... perhaps any time.

if anyone can transition successfully to four wheels, it's him.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Three seconds? Chump change to a guy...
Time will tell. I love the guy, but 3 seconds in F1 is 1/2 a lifetime.
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 7:53 am

I am not a Jeff Gordan fan, in Nascar, but when he drove the williams F1 car(Montoya's) after 5 laps he ran a lap at Indy that would have put him in 4th the previous year.

That was one I would have liked to see try F1 also

I have to agree..Rossie is one bad dude.

Joey

Joey Fletcher
Durham NC
2001 LT name Dolly because she is so dang Top Heavy
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Access to 2005 SE V-Rod
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:38 pm

Rossi's going to be great on four wheels!

Motor racing-Rossi shines in F1 test with Ferrari

By Alan Baldwin Wed Feb 1, 1:12 PM ET

LONDON, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Motorcycling world champion Valentino Rossi made critics eat their words on Wednesday with a strong performance for Ferrari in testing. The charismatic Italian, driving an old F2004 with a rev-limited V10 engine, completed 53 laps at the Valencia circuit in eastern Spain and was ninth fastest of the 15 drivers in action.

The dominant force in MotoGP had a best lap of 1:12.851, according to Ferrari.

That was little more than a second slower than Ferrari's seven times world champion Michael Schumacher in the new V8-powered 248 car. World champion Fernando Alonso was fastest in 1:11.291.

"It was a very good performance, we cannot deny it," said a Ferrari spokesman. "People who said that yesterday was a flop, today changed their mind."

Rossi spun off on his opening lap on Tuesday after being sidelined for most of the day by steady rain. Conditions on Wednesday were damp in the morning but dry in the afternoon.

The Italian's spin drew a sarcastic response from old MotoGP foe and compatriot Max Biaggi, who tested with Midland last month at a wet Silverstone.

"This time I beat him," commented Biaggi, who has left MotoGP after losing his Honda ride, in the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"I did 10 laps on a wet track at Silverstone, a real track I had never seen before, while he didn't even get to the 10th corner in Valencia...I could explain to him how not to spin a Formula One car."

While Biaggi's run may have been more for publicity purposes, Rossi has a real chance of making the jump from two wheels to four with Ferrari.

The 26-year-old, champion for the last five years in motorcycling's top category and with a year to run on his Yamaha contract, has had several increasingly serious tests since his first in 2004.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good press attention for ferrari. this is only a "test" so I wouldn't get too excited. The F1 season is about to get underway and media stunts of this type are mainly to call attention to it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in