Anyone has an idea how to track back a hotmail email address? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:58 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Anyone has an idea how to track back a hotmail email address?

Here is the deal:

Some slimebag is/was scamming my credit card. Now I have shut doen that card already, but I just got ahold of an email address of one of the merchant (s)he is scamming and I'd LOVE to track down who the individual is.

If anyone has an idea how to find it, or would be willing to send an email to that individual to provoke a response, so that we can track him down via the IP address please let me know and I'll PM you the email address.

Thanks

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:01 pm
Ted

Andy,

Try "googling" it, and also run it through the email search engines.

Also, have you contacted MSN/Hotmail directly with the proof - I'm just guessing but I'd think MSN should help you given that this thief stole from you.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 1:52 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Yeah I tried both.

Google: nothing

MSN/hotmail: want to be subpoenaed before they release any information

I have someone working on that now. What I am trying to fnd out if it is someone I know, or "just the scum sucking thief from the street"

Either way I will turn over what I have to the authorities, but if I can show up with an IP address or even a name that would be MUCH better.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Andy: there is someone on this site that has in thier signature a device that tells you your ip address, what opsys you are using and someother stuff. I have seen it a couple of times but kraft is working now mayhaps one of the Big guys can assist.

Hope this helps.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #5 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 2:10 pm

http://www.visualware.com/resources/...als/email.html

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Andy: there is someone on this site that has in thier signature a device that tells you your ip address, what opsys you are using and someother stuff. I have seen it a couple of times but kraft is working now mayhaps one of the Big guys can assist.

Hope this helps.
Ed Bruce's posts do this, I believe.
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 3:19 pm

I don’t think you’ll be able to find anything out. Hotmail is an anonymous web based email system. The users can create their accounts anonymously, and can check via a browser from anywhere. There isn’t a pop3 client that could be traced to its source. If you could get the folks at Hotmail to help, and I bet they wouldn’t without a court order, they might be able to give you a source IP, but if the scammers were smart they wouldn’t be using a traceable address. Have you informed the authorities? They should have more muscle.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #8 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 6:01 pm

The sig picy thing will be of no use at all in this case. It is just a script that queries the bmwlt.com server. Basicly asks it "where is this guy come'n from?" - then uses that info to make the sig picy. This here server has to know that, so it knows where to send these pages back to - back to you.

So, if you want to know what your IP is - look at the picy. If you want to know anything else - go elsewhere.

(look up 'html get requests' to see how it works)

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Andy:
Play their own game right back at them. Get a fresh new hotmail address and get them to tell on themselves. Just be a little creative and work on their greed, they'll tell on themselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in