Best Riding in Florida - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Best Riding in Florida

Ocala? Gainesville?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Pick ANY of the 11 curves. Each and every one of them is FANTASTIC!!!
post #3 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I like riding the Fl mountains...

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Oh I tried those ONCE! I couldn't take the High-Altitude Sickness. I had to get down off that rock as soon as humanly possible.
post #5 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Joe
You can't talk unless you're talking about Ohio.

There's a lot of good riding in Florida, if you know where to go.
Forget about anywhere near the coast, too much traffic this time of year.

There's the Florida hill country around Groveland and Tavares etc.

then there' the Florida Alps around Dade City, Brooksville, towards Ocala.

Some of those center state backroads can be nice, I've lived here 26 years and I'm still finding new ones.

Just last week I found an old wooden bridge still in use, now I think that's cool.

If any of you'se are planning to come down here, send me an e-mail and if my schedule allows it I'll show you some Florida that might just surprise you.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Jan 26th, 2006 at 1:25 pm.
post #6 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 6:18 pm

How deep is the snow up there Joe?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Quote:
At least they can ride this time of year, Joe. I am heading that way next month with the LT to get some early spring riding in. Wanna join me?????

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #8 of 22 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:05 am

Wink Curves???? hahahahaha

The 'Tail of the Dragon' has 318 curves in 11 miles, whereas Florida has 11 curves in 318 miles........
post #9 of 22 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:45 am

We've got our very own Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200ltrider
The 'Tail of the Dragon' has 318 curves in 11 miles, whereas Florida has 11 curves in 318 miles........
Obviously you haven't been to Florida except maybe Daytona or Miami or any other coastal city that's so full of Northerners you may as well be in Jersey.

I've ridden my motorcycles in 48 states and although Florida can't compete with the smokies, Texas hill country or northern California.
I'm always happy to come "home" because I think Florida is beautiful, especially the rural backroads.

Now as far as the infamous Dragon, its waaay over-rated there are other roads close to it that are much more enjoyable to ride and with a lot less idiots to worry about.

When I first "found" 129 was over 30 years ago when I was still riding my old 66 HD, I was taking what I thought was a shortcut over to Marysville and got there right about dark. I thought I was in "hell" and couldn't wait to get of that road. Since then I've probaly rode it at least twice a year and I still don't see what the big deal is.

I gotta go now, I'm riding up to visit my folks today, they are about a hundred miles north of me on those long straight boring roads and its only supposed to get up to 70 degrees, another "brutal" winters day.

So what are you doing today?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #10 of 22 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:08 am

Talking

Quote:
Oh I tried those ONCE! I couldn't take the High-Altitude Sickness. I had to get down off that rock as soon as humanly possible.
snowed in yet, joe?
post #11 of 22 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Joe
You can't talk unless you're talking about Ohio.

There's a lot of good riding in Florida, if you know where to go.
Forget about anywhere near the coast, too much traffic this time of year.

There's the Florida hill country around Groveland and Tavares etc.

then there' the Florida Alps around Dade City, Brooksville, towards Ocala.

Some of those center state backroads can be nice, I've lived here 26 years and I'm still finding new ones.

Just last week I found an old wooden bridge still in use, now I think that's cool.

If any of you'se are planning to come down here, send me an e-mail and if my schedule allows it I'll show you some Florida that might just surprise you.
South central Fl is nice riding as well, hot as hell in the summer though, sebring lake placid over to Ft Myers all that area is nice riding. I've got about 28 years riding in fl as well, the coastal towns are gettin gpacked though like you said I still enjoy riding the short distances around flagler and south of melbourne to sebastian

I love the bridge run I used to do from Melbourne particularly at night

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 22 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 8:11 am

Talking

Quote:
Obviously you haven't been to Florida except maybe Daytona or Miami or any other coastal city that's so full of Northerners you may as well be in Jersey.

I've ridden my motorcycles in 48 states and although Florida can't compete with the smokies, Texas hill country or northern California.
I'm always happy to come "home" because I think Florida is beautiful, especially the rural backroads.

Now as far as the infamous Dragon, its waaay over-rated there are other roads close to it that are much more enjoyable to ride and with a lot less idiots to worry about.

When I first "found" 129 was over 30 years ago when I was still riding my old 66 HD, I was taking what I thought was a shortcut over to Marysville and got there right about dark. I thought I was in "hell" and couldn't wait to get of that road. Since then I've probaly rode it at least twice a year and I still don't see what the big deal is.

I gotta go now, I'm riding up to visit my folks today, they are about a hundred miles north of me on those long straight boring roads and its only supposed to get up to 70 degrees, another "brutal" winters day.

So what are you doing today?
Well I hate to burst your bubble but I live in the Florida Keys . I meant the comment more as a joke. Northern and central Florida has its charm too. I like Mount Dora, Eustis and Ocala. I agree that the 'Dragon' is overrated as I got bored stiff half way through . I don't understand the squids who seem to 'live' there. There are no views as all you do is race from one hairpin turn to the next . Give me 'Chief Joseph' any day or Hells canyon in ID. I too have been to all states in the Union with the exception of Hawai and like most area's to ride in with the West as my favourite.
Today I will be riding my GS in the Everglades.....
post #13 of 22 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 9:00 am

Quote:
Well I hate to burst your bubble but I live in the Florida Keys . I meant the comment more as a joke.
Today I will be riding my GS in the Everglades.....
Sorry if I came on a little too strong, I am fiercely loyal and very proud of the beautiful state of "old" Florida, what's left of it anyway.

The Keys is a great place to live, although it was much better 20+ years ago, and if you're riding your GS in the everglades, you probably appreciate the beauty there also, most people think of it as a worthless swamp, I love it.

I know its quite a distance for you but if you can you're invited to join us for the:
February 11 Ride-To-Eat in Groveland.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #14 of 22 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 1:40 pm

The biggest problem we have in Florida is all them damn Yankees who keep descending on us and the developers that are overbuilding all the great riding areas that we once had. Especially here in Central Florida. I currently live just outside MOUNT DORA, OK stop your laughing - after all there is a BIG hill in town!! We do have some great areas around here for riding including Thrill Hill, and Sugar Loaf Mountain just to name a couple but if you want to see them ya better hurry before they build another 100,000 or so houses and a bunch of shopping centers on what used to be beautiful rolling hills covered with citrus trees and with spectacular views of the 100's of fresh water lakes in the area.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #15 of 22 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 8:11 am

Talking

Quote:
Sorry if I came on a little too strong, I am fiercely loyal and very proud of the beautiful state of "old" Florida, what's left of it anyway.

The Keys is a great place to live, although it was much better 20+ years ago, and if you're riding your GS in the everglades, you probably appreciate the beauty there also, most people think of it as a worthless swamp, I love it.

I know its quite a distance for you but if you can you're invited to join us for the:
February 11 Ride-To-Eat in Groveland.
No problemo!! I understand your passion for 'old' Florida as it is more spectacular than most people give it credit for. I see it disappearing too at an alarming rate. I am at the point of being in my last 'season' as a fishing guide because the Keys are FUBAR. I have seen this place change in the last 5 years at an alarming rate into the condo capitol of the world rather than the fishing capitol it once was . Don't get me wrong, Florida Bay is still beautiful but when the real 'conchs' are moving away because they are taxed out of their homes, it IS time to pack it in too.The first time I came to the Keys was in 1983 and I fell in love with the place, coming back on extended vacations every year until I ended up staying for a 'while'. That was almost 17 years ago. Now I want to get out of South Florida asap, as it built up waaaay too much and filled with people who have no clue about what it once was, or even care. I even have idiots asking me why there are no homes on the islands in Florida Bay which happens to be the Everglades Park!! Such is the stupidity of people. Sorry for the rant but it does make me feel better

Ps Thanks for the invitation
post #16 of 22 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 8:18 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
The biggest problem we have in Florida is all them damn Yankees who keep descending on us and the developers that are overbuilding all the great riding areas that we once had. Especially here in Central Florida. I currently live just outside MOUNT DORA, OK stop your laughing - after all there is a BIG hill in town!! We do have some great areas around here for riding including Thrill Hill, and Sugar Loaf Mountain just to name a couple but if you want to see them ya better hurry before they build another 100,000 or so houses and a bunch of shopping centers on what used to be beautiful rolling hills covered with citrus trees and with spectacular views of the 100's of fresh water lakes in the area.
I agree
post #17 of 22 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
The biggest problem we have in Florida is all them damn Yankees who keep descending on us
Lynn, I feel your pain. I have a place up in north GA and it is getting filled up with all the half backs. Those nice yankee that moved to Florida and then moved halfway back. I guess the hurricanes got'em moving out, prolly not near enough to help ya'll out, but enough to pack up N GA in the meanwhile. Oh well, if I was up north I be headed down to God's country (IMHO) as well.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #18 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 1:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I agree that the 'Dragon' is overrated as I got bored stiff half way through . I don't understand the squids who seem to 'live' there. There are no views as all you do is race from one hairpin turn to the next
The only view that matters is the next apex, as the bike is at full lean and the engine climbs towards redline.

Actually, I enjoyed the Cherehola Skyway more, as the sweepers are better suited to the LT's dynamics. But the Dragon does have a certain attraction that can't be measured by passing scenery. In fact, what I love most about the LT is that it can play hard in the twisties, or just cruise along two-up in comfort, or ride border-to-border in a single day. The overall package just works well for many situations.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 3:51 pm

Thumbs up

I have an ST1300 friend in Ganesville who took me riding through 'horse' country. Roberts quarter horse farms; others; then through a beautiful wildlife sanctuary with hanging spanish moss and creeks, channels and bogs on both sides of the road... simply beautiful. Also, my son lives in Pensacola so I ride Rt 98 from P'cola beach thouh Apalachicola along the coast to St. Joe...great riding. Also enjoy the National wildlife area north of Milton on the Ala border... Will be down again in April if things go OK.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #20 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 5:25 pm

[QUOTE=k1200ltrider]No problemo!! I understand your passion for 'old' Florida as it is more spectacular than most people give it credit for. I see it disappearing too at an alarming rate. I am at the point of being in my last 'season' as a fishing guide because the Keys are FUBAR. I have seen this place change in the last 5 years at an alarming rate into the condo capitol of the world rather than the fishing capitol it once was . Don't get me wrong, Florida Bay is still beautiful but when the real 'conchs' are moving away because they are taxed out of their homes, it IS time to pack it in too.The first time I came to the Keys was in 1983 and I fell in love with the place, coming back on extended vacations every year until I ended up staying for a 'while'. That was almost 17 years ago. Now I want to get out of South Florida asap, as it built up waaaay too much and filled with people who have no clue about what it once was, or even care. I even have idiots asking me why there are no homes on the islands in Florida Bay which happens to be the Everglades Park!! Such is the stupidity of people. Sorry for the rant but it does make me feel better

Rider, I feel your pain man. I first went to the Keys as a kid in the late 50's. Started diving the reefs in the early 70's and still get down with the boat or bike once a year, it sure ain't the same. But, for a ride, we left KW after Poker Run Weekend at O-dark thirty, hit a morning shower right at sunrise comming over Bahia Honda. Mother nature is still lookin awsome down there, best rain I have ever ridin in.
post #21 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 5:49 pm

All this talk of OLD Florida..... make me laugh.

I was first there before I can remember (too young, early 50s), my family has always had a second home there.

Oldest memories are of Coral Cables, late 50s. Hot, humid, bugs. No air-conditioning. Hated sand in the bathing suit.

Then Hollywood and the Gault Ocean Mile, early 60s. Rode a scooter then a 105 Dream . Hot, humid, bugs. Now have air-conditioning and pool. Girls are looking interesting, like my rides more.

Mid- Late 60s . Girls are hot, humid, and no bugs. I got a 56 Tbird and a house with a pool. The folks stay up north, when they come down I drive to CT. LIFE IS GREAT. Ride a 250 Suzuki and learn to dive.

So you see Florida has been getting better not worse.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #22 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtdvl
Ocala? Gainesville?
Ocala. Nice quiet country rides through the National Forest (year round). Calling for highs in the 70's the rest of the week.

Head south on 19 out of Palatka and lose yourself.

Bring your mask/snorkel, shorts and towel. Take a dip in Silver Glen Springs (water is the same temperature year round).

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/springs/l...silverglen.htm

Or... go across the road and take a nice hike to Pat's Island (The Yearling Trail).

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recr...shtml#yearling

The "Loop" is an easy ride from the Ocala area too.

http://www.daytonachamber.com/bikeweek/theloop.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in