Heads up!! Detroit metro area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 6:17 am Thread Starter

Heads up!! Detroit metro area

With the super bowl coming this way, I guess MI has figured out a way to pay all that overtime needed for the big game.

Another state fund raising activity...don't you just love quota's???

regards...geo

Heads Up for what it's worth ~just saw this; Michigan will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers overtime. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 6 main intersections and highways.

I-75 north and south
I-94 (from Ann Arbor to Port Huron)
entire length of I-696
I-275 north and south
M-10 Lodge Fwy
I-96 from Detroit West to M-14

Now, 5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Crown Victoria cruisers and they are bringing all their part timers on full time. If you work anywhere in the Detroit Metropolitan area, you must take one of there interstates, routes, or parkways. It's up to you how fast you are doing when they do.

Wear your seat belt, nothing hanging from the rear view mirror, do the speed limit (not a mile over) use cruise control if you have it, no cracks in your windshield, use your turn signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Angry What?!?!?!

And all this time I was taught that the LEOs write tickets to protect us. And to keep all "the innocent" safe from those dirty rotten speeders. Are you actually suggesting that ticket writing is just some slimy means of our government (albeit state, city, or local) to build revenue?!?!?! Say it isn't SO!!!

And "quotas"?! LEOs ain't got no quotas! Just ask them! Go ahead! I D.A.R.E. ya! (...and that's funny too!)
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Thumbs down Snopes sez: FALSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongs
With the super bowl coming this way, I guess MI has figured out a way to pay all that overtime needed for the big game.

Another state fund raising activity...don't you just love quota's???

Heads Up for what it's worth ~just saw this; Michigan will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers overtime.
Snopes Status: FALSE!

Still whenever a BIG event comes to town, it's always best to keep a low profile. Anyway, the out-of-state drivers are generally the real targets.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Wink Quotas

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And "quotas"?! LEOs ain't got no quotas! Just ask them!
I was told by the Calif Highway Patrol that there are absolutely no "quotas". Goals on the other hand are another story.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Thumbs down Quotas

Does anyone in their right mind actually think that individual Troopers actually have any say about quotas. In most states they are illegal. Sometimes you guys crack me up with all the complaining about citations and what happened when you got pulled over. I rarely hear the horror stories about Doctors accidently killing patients or IT directors screwing up computer systems or any number of other occupations having someone doing something rude or stupid. This morning I stopped a lady in a BMW with dark tinted windows in an HOV lane. When I walked up to the car and she rolled down the window I could see the baby in the car seat in the back. I appolojized for the stop and told her that she should consider removing the tint, which by the way is illegal in NC, I did not mention the illegal tint because I had taken enough of her time. We are not all clowns and we dont all get a thrill out of making your day miserable but there are a few that do. Just like there are a few sorry bakers and candlestick makers. When you get stopped jsut be truthfull polite and maybe the LEO will let you go. If he doesnt it probably wondt be the worst thing that could happen to you that day. You could have been shot by the lady in the beemer with the tinted windows that you just walked up to and couldnt see in.
Bud
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudCesena
Does anyone in their right mind actually think that individual Troopers actually have any say about quotas. In most states they are illegal. Sometimes you guys crack me up with all the complaining about citations and what happened when you got pulled over. I rarely hear the horror stories about Doctors accidently killing patients or IT directors screwing up computer systems or any number of other occupations having someone doing something rude or stupid. This morning I stopped a lady in a BMW with dark tinted windows in an HOV lane. When I walked up to the car and she rolled down the window I could see the baby in the car seat in the back. I appolojized for the stop and told her that she should consider removing the tint, which by the way is illegal in NC, I did not mention the illegal tint because I had taken enough of her time. We are not all clowns and we dont all get a thrill out of making your day miserable but there are a few that do. Just like there are a few sorry bakers and candlestick makers. When you get stopped jsut be truthfull polite and maybe the LEO will let you go. If he doesnt it probably wondt be the worst thing that could happen to you that day. You could have been shot by the lady in the beemer with the tinted windows that you just walked up to and couldnt see in.
Bud
Thanks, Bud. And thanks for your service!!!

Some of us appreciate you very much.

God bless:

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #7 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 8:43 pm

I have never been to Detroit but from what I read of the crime rate, you would think that the state police would have better things to do, now would'nt you? But, it's not their idea...it's the idea of the politicians that we elect to protect us from ourselves.

Quoting Pogo once again, "We have met the enemy and he is US"

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Does anyone in their right mind actually think that individual Troopers actually have any say about quotas.
I don't think I ever heard anyone single out an "individual Trooper". But I have heard a lot of people accuse LEOs that they do have them . . . in one fashion of another. Call them what they want to, they are still QUOTAS. What does your boss call them???

Quote:
I rarely hear the horror stories about Doctors accidently killing patients or IT directors screwing up computer systems or any number of other occupations having someone doing something rude or stupid.
Are you calling ticket writers "rude and stupid"? But I digress... This is a riding forum Bud, and dodging the Politzei is an unfortunate part of trying to enjoy a nice ride. Yes...I said "a nice ride". I'm not talking about doing 110 on my rear tire. I'm talking about maybe taking a nice sweeper or some twisties a little too spirited just to have 'the man' award me with a performance award. But let them pull over one of their fellow officers, and most of the time, it's just a warning and they're off the hook. You know..."professional courtesy" and all.

Quote:
We are not all clowns and we dont all get a thrill out of making your day miserable but there are a few that do.
And those are the ones that most of us civvies are venting about. Not the honorable LEOs. So if you're honorable, don't get offended. But when you get all defensive...it kinda makes me wonder why.

Quote:
When you get stopped jsut be truthfull polite and maybe the LEO will let you go.
I've been "let go" 2 times in my life. BOTH times I gave the LEO a TOTAL ATTITUDE and just got off with a warning. Every other time I've been stopped, I have treated Mr. LEO with the utmost respect and courtesy...all to have to dish out $100 to $200. Just so he could fill his monthly (fill in the blank). Whatever they're calling "quotas" this year.

What humors me the most about this conversation is the fact that, in an online forum, all of the LEOs out there and "all the rest of us" are on the same level for a change. And sometimes...I think that's just too much for y'all to bear.

See ya at LT STC II...
post #9 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Uh, does this look at all familiar to anyone?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/newjersey.asp

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Averill pointed this out already in the 2nd reply.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Garage
In 1998 when I left the area the 696 was becoming a nightmare. I used travel it every day and do not miss that part of Detroit. It appears a cop could just stop everyone on that stretch of road as they all drivers are well over the limit all day long. I sure miss the Auto and Bike shows though.
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Averill pointed this out already in the 2nd reply.
Ah HA!! See how I am?

Yup - missed that, my bad.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #13 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Yes, I do apologize for not checking snopes first...I did hear from someone else that may be a false report. I'll drop that back to the source at work here.

Bud, its not the cops. I've had lots of friends who are police. I'd have been one myself if my eyes had cooperated.

My dig here is on the state. I'm paranoid, they are trying to find more money to spend in so many ways rather than trying to cut spending appropriately (not starving people in the process mind you)....its a little scary. That was my motivation for printing, I didn't even really consider the cops in this.

I've had visitors from GE that said the drive from DTW airport was faster than the autobahn! I've personally seen cars doing an estimated 160 on that road (696)...porche of course

But you best believe there will be lots of all kinds of security around here for awhile.

By the way, motels here go from 100/nite to 400/nite come Feb 2!!!!

happy trails....geo
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 7:33 am

Well done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in