Are political discussions a waste of time? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Are political discussions a waste of time?

logic shuts down

look at this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:07 am
Bouncer

And this is an example of what that article talks about.

Ignoring the fact that the post is completely false, yet still posting it. Sheesh!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
logic shuts down

look at this
this assumes the world is full of nothing but ted kennedys and jesse helms. it is correct that extremists will never see the world from the perspective of the other extreme.

there is hope for people in the middle, i think, because they take issues one at a time, and don't allow one party or one person do their thinking for them. for them, political discussions are NOT a waste of time, IMHO.

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

It would be interesting to see the same studies run with 'independents'
post #5 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

If you guys set up a politics and religion forum not only would it give a good filter for non thinking posts, it would also make a nice little sandbox to practice my l33t trolling skillz
post #6 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 12:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
If you guys set up a politics and religion forum not only would it give a good filter for non thinking posts, it would also make a nice little sandbox to practice my l33t trolling skillz
We've had that suggestion before, and the admins have decided against it. On further reflection, I think they're right. On the one hand, it might segregate some of these discussions, but on the other it may just give people permission to rant away. I'm sure we'd never get to the level of ADVRider's JoMama forum, but then again who knows?

I think I prefer these discussions to be occasional, brief, and then to just fade away everyone's had their say.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

As Deputy Dawgs sez, Don't go away mad, just go away
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:10 pm

You guys are no fun at all. I wish we had an "OUTSIDE" forum. As in...so you wanna take it "outside"?! No holds bar. Totally uncensored. Rant ON . . . never OFF.

Here's the catch...

What's said in there, stays in there! One can't be quoted in any other forum. What happens "outside" stays "outside". That would be sweet!
post #9 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You guys are no fun at all. I wish we had an "OUTSIDE" forum. As in...so you wanna take it "outside"?! No holds bar. Totally uncensored. Rant ON . . . never OFF.

Here's the catch...

What's said in there, stays in there! One can't be quoted in any other forum. What happens "outside" stays "outside". That would be sweet!
interesting idea ...
post #10 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:31 pm
Bouncer

There are about a million of those sites on the net. You might start with the news message boards at Yahoo (pick a story and go to the message board to discuss).

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #11 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Wimp!
post #12 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 2:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Here you go, Joe. Enjoy.

And somehow I don't think Wimp and El Jeffe really belong in the same post. I'm just saying.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Jan 25th, 2006 at 2:52 pm.
post #13 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 5:45 pm

I think that a short poll on who has changed their mind due to any political discussion on this site would show that they are pretty useless. Everyone has changed their mind due to someone elses posts please raise your hand.

------

------

Didn't think so.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Maybe I did not change my mind, but got me thinking. Had to do a little more research to decided I was undecided.
Rick
post #15 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I won't say I've changed my mind, but I occasionally come across new information. That's usually worth a bit of research, and maybe even a re-evaluation of my position in order to incorporate things that make sense to me. That's just part of learning and growing, regardless of any labels or particular positions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 9:00 pm

to be honest, not on this board. but i have been swayed several times by political speeches, by business presentations, and by college professors.
post #17 of 20 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 6:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I won't say I've changed my mind, but I occasionally come across new information. That's usually worth a bit of research, and maybe even a re-evaluation of my position in order to incorporate things that make sense to me. That's just part of learning and growing, regardless of any labels or particular positions.
I agree with Ken on this one!!!

Chick

Saved by Grace -- Ephesians 2:8-9

2005 Graphite LT

BMWMOA #118809

NRA Life Member

post #18 of 20 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 7:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Careful there Chick. We might get Joe, or Rixchard, or Brett, or even Mike Kiesel to agree as well. Then where would we all be?

Probably out riding and enjoying ourselves, I'd say.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 20 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 8:38 pm

The only person to ever change my mine on something or sway me at all was my drill instructor,,, but I guess you already know what I'm talking about ...Regards Pete
post #20 of 20 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 9:25 pm

Are political discussions a waste of time?

Yup

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in