Phone Bill Scam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:28 am Thread Starter
Old Dawg

Phone Bill Scam

I got my AT&T home phone bill today and on the last page there was a "monthly charge" for Rescue My Credit, Inc. Amount Due: $14.99 + .37 tax. Holy cow!!!! They have a third party do the billing for them (PaymentOneCorp) and it's added to the AT&T phone bill.
I did a search on the internet and can't even find who/what this scam is let alone what service they are providing someone with perfect credit. I called AT&T and the gave me a phone number to cancel this "service".
I called to cancel and ask who they are, what they do and most important how they came to bill my phone. They said they would credit my account, they said they can't tell me who they are or where to find the company that they just answer phones and provide customer service for Rescue My Credit. I asked if they had a phone number for that company, a name for the owner, a website or ???? No sir we have no information, we are just here to cancel accounts and provide customer service.
My final question was how did the mystery company come to see it as OK to bill me? They said that Jessica Faulk clicked on a terms and conditions for a website or software and that was one of the terms. YIKES
My wife Jessica has no idea when this would have occurred or how but she is as shocked as I am.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 4:06 am

Re: Phone Bill Scam

That sounds like a crazy scam. A phone bill should be just that - line rental and call charges.
Mine (in the UK) scams me for not paying direct debit - hey, they never get my phone bill right, so they don't get access to my account, but I have to pay them extra for that control - another scam.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 7:13 am

I am constantly amazed at the way this is done. Same thing goes with "ringtones" for your phone. They simply say, "Text _________ to this number to put this ringtone on your phone" and never tell you that you are signing up for a monthly fee! The internet does it the same way!

But, if I were you I WOULD BE SCREAMING AT ATT...they should know better than to be associated with such CROOKS!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 7:18 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I had something like that happen to me also. You can see what happened and what i did to end it HERE

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 8:18 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Scott, stay on top of this. I had a long distance company added to my Verizon bill that was trying for something like a $30 a month service charge plus crazy amounts for calls. Took about 3 billing cycles to get it sorted out.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 8:39 am
Gold Supporter

We just went through this with Verizon. Dada.com was charging me $29.99 a month for something they claim I had to go through three approval screens to accept. Yeah....right and it was for telephone ringtones. I got the third degree when I called them as an attempt to misdirect MY third degree of them. If you know my background you know how far that got them. Like yours they played dumb and couldn't give any info, however Dada.com is a real company...or I should say they have a web site, but I am not going to look at it.

We just got the check back from them, but I am a little worried about cashing it because then they will have my checking account # on the returned check.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:29 am Thread Starter
Old Dawg

Lot's of complaints on that dada company (actually dada.net from what I found). I think there should be a process where your telephone company has to confirm you want a third party product before it is added to your bill.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:37 am

Thanks Scott... I read this thread and I'm diggin' out my phone bill this morning... who'd a thunk!!!

Keep all of us in the loop - those who have seen this crapola...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Sounds like a new "twist" on an old scam.

Years ago (before cell phones) my long distance "provider" was changed and my phone bill increased,
with a little investigating I found out that the raffle ticket I had filled out at the gun show authorized them to become my new long distance provider.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:22 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
I got my AT&T home phone bill today and on the last page there was a "monthly charge" for Rescue My Credit, Inc. Amount Due: $14.99 + .37 tax. Holy cow!!!! They have a third party do the billing for them (PaymentOneCorp) and it's added to the AT&T phone bill.
I did a search on the internet and can't even find who/what this scam is let alone what service they are providing someone with perfect credit. I called AT&T and the gave me a phone number to cancel this "service".
I called to cancel and ask who they are, what they do and most important how they came to bill my phone. They said they would credit my account, they said they can't tell me who they are or where to find the company that they just answer phones and provide customer service for Rescue My Credit. I asked if they had a phone number for that company, a name for the owner, a website or ???? No sir we have no information, we are just here to cancel accounts and provide customer service.
My final question was how did the mystery company come to see it as OK to bill me? They said that Jessica Faulk clicked on a terms and conditions for a website or software and that was one of the terms. YIKES
My wife Jessica has no idea when this would have occurred or how but she is as shocked as I am.

Guess it's time to take away Mrs Focker's iPhone LOL

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 3:16 pm

There are a number of "Deals" like this, some are free credit reports and such, they all offer some type of service. then you get a monthly bill attached to a regular bill, mostly AT&T and some credit cards. They usually ask vague questions but in the process somehow gain access to your account and start a billing cycle. If you dont read your bill and just pay it, you may pay it for a long time before noticing it. We had one show up on a credit card, after inquirey, found out we had inquired about a FREE credit report and unknowingly agreed to a monthly service with a fee of course. I cancelled and was refunded on the first bill.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 4:43 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg
Lot's of complaints on that dada company (actually dada.net from what I found). I think there should be a process where your telephone company has to confirm you want a third party product before it is added to your bill.
Scott,

When I questioned Verizon about why they billed for Dada without contacting me I got the "They said you authorized it" speech. I tried to get them to flag my numbers to prevent this from happening and they said they couldn't (Translation = WOULDN"T) do that.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #13 of 13 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack

But, if I were you I WOULD BE SCREAMING AT ATT...they should know better than to be associated with such CROOKS!

Associating with crooks?

ATT is a pack of crooks!

Birds of a feather flock together.

I have a problem with their billing on almost a monthly schedule. Charging for text messages to my cell that are commercials for ATT are the things that raise my blood pressure a point or two.

I believe I might start charging them for my time to straighten them out, monthly.

Jack:
Not to worry, I tighten them up enough for both of us.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in