Canadian Election - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Canadian Election

Did anyone watch and note who won the election last night in Canada?
I did as I am from Canada. Happy to see the Conservatives win even if by minority.

Other BMW riders from other countries ie USA; do you find it interesting?, do you follow it or care? Give us your true thoughts if you care to share.

Mike McIntosh
2005 K1200LT, 2008 K1200S
1998 K1200RS-sold May 2006
BMWMOA,BMWRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:16 pm

Good for you guys! I think the opponent may have shot himself in the foot (pun intended) by promising to ban handguns. From what I've seen of Canada, my own family included, there are far too many outdoorsmen/ hunter types for that to fly.

Keep sending the Molson!
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685ursus
Did anyone watch and note who won the election last night in Canada?
I did as I am from Canada. Happy to see the Conservatives win even if by minority.

Other BMW riders from other countries ie USA; do you find it interesting?, do you follow it or care? Give us your true thoughts if you care to share.
i heard that a conservative won but i know nothing about the platform on which he ran. tell us more about him? what's are his various positions?

pretty surprising outcome in what has historically been a very liberal region.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:14 pm

we'll see, eh?

My folks were conservative and from Alberta. Whether tis good to get along with the Bush Administration (Tweeker and the Chickenhawks) might be another kettle of fish entirely. Guess some are looking at how well Tax Cuts work down here (tongue planted firmly in cheek). Could be entertaining to watch and see how well such northern conservatives work for y'all.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 6:21 am Thread Starter

He may have a tough job ahead. Very slim minority. Appears that most were happy with liberals because they had exchanged deficits for large surpluses, coupled with minor tax cuts. Liberals were acting fiscally like conservatives. When they first came into power approx. 12 years ago they cut spending in most areas. The country prior to their election had a 47 billion dollar annual deficit. Before the Liberals we had a Conservative government under Brian Mulroney.
The current Prime Minister, Paul Martin was the finance minister, most thought he did an excellent job. As Prime Minister, not so well; he was indecisive, his government was plaqued with corruptness. Probably nothing to do with him personally but he took the fall.
The Conservative platform promises a few more tax cuts such as a cut in GST which is a sales tax on purchases and can be seen up front. They are close to center but slightly right politically, hopefully can ban the 3 billion plus waste "gun registry", and run a clean honest government - if there is such a thing.
I voted Conservative this time because of the Liberal leader. I think as most agree that he lost the election for the Party.
I do not hunt or use guns for sport as most do not. However, to waste billions on gun control was a ploy by the Liberals to earn the vote from the niave. Criminals will not register their guns or use guns that are registered, that is a no brainer. One example of what was wrong with the way the Liberals think.
The new Prime Minister, Stephen Harper promised to ban the gun registry. It will be interesting to see if he can, considering the minority governent.

Mike McIntosh
BMWMOA,BMWRA
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:21 am

well, mike, i personally think the political sweet spot is near the middle, so hopefully martin will be an effective leader in that space. good luck with him and with your country's future.

out of curiosity ... what is martin's position on iraq? it dominates the political landscape here in the u.s.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Kbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
well, mike, i personally think the political sweet spot is near the middle, so hopefully martin will be an effective leader in that space. good luck with him and with your country's future.

out of curiosity ... what is martin's position on iraq? it dominates the political landscape here in the u.s.
Thank you for the good wishes. Stephen Harper is the new Prime Minister. Paul Martin was voted out. Martin took a strong stand against going into Iraq.
Did not make friends wish Bush for that. At the time Harper who was opposition leader was for joining the Bush campaign into Iraq.

Interesting to see what Harper does now as Prime Minister. It is a complicated issue, but it appears that Martin may have been right about Iraq, regarding the fact that the Bush administration may not have had good intelligence about Iraq's ability to produce weapons of mass destruction.

It was not talked about during the campaign.

Mike McIntosh
BMWMOA,BMWRA
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:00 pm

I have always been interested in Canada and have spent some wonderful vacations there with some of the nicest folks on earth. I am fascinated by the Parliamentary system. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Let's see.....in Canada the liberals had some corruption problems so they were thrown out...in the US, the conservatives appear to have ethical problems with a lobbiest and......well, we'll just have to wait and see!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
I have always been interested in Canada and have spent some wonderful vacations there with some of the nicest folks on earth. I am fascinated by the Parliamentary system. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Let's see.....in Canada the liberals had some corruption problems so they were thrown out...in the US, the conservatives appear to have ethical problems with a lobbiest and......well, we'll just have to wait and see!
how to know a politician is lying: his/her lips are moving.

and that goes for liberals and conservatives alike.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Haven't you heard, Gary? They now have whole staffs of people to lie, uh, speak for them. They don't hardly even have to talk anymore.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in