IMS This Weekend: What to Expect? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:17 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

IMS This Weekend: What to Expect?

CycleWorld's International Motorcycle Show comes to Cleveland this weekend. I've never been to one, but will be there all day Saturday. What can I expect to see/buy? I know it's a very large product expo, should expect lots of walking, etc.

Will motorcycle manufacturers be there, including BMW? I have questions...

Will I be able to actually purchase some things? I spoke w/Gerbing earlier today; they will be there, and will have some things for sale but they "run out early -- by end of day Saturday". Their new G3 gloves will be available to try on but not available for purchase. They keep selling out.

I'd also like to see (and then purchase) a windshield -- Cee Bailey, perhaps. Does that happen at the IMS?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:51 pm

Wink Mostly For Looking

I go to the one in DC every year, more or less to see and sit on the new bikes from the major manufacturers. As far as sales of goodies go, I have never really found that to be what draws me to the shows.

Gerbings seemed still to be very well stocked midway through the 2nd. day in DC. Autocom was there and there were displays from many of the helmet folks. However, then there is the usual local venders that sell their sunglasses, Harley leather caps, the anti-fog cream, molded ear plugs, etc.

Go and have fun on the bikes and talk to as many of the reps as you feel like, but if it's like DC, don't go with the expectations of buying a lot of goodies for your bike, (I have never seen a windshield manufacerer at any of these shows).

Gene

Gene Sweeney

post #3 of 9 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:00 pm

Thumbs up

Hi Howard,

Have gone the last two years. Nice show. Pretty much all of the major bike manufacturers are there including BMW. For a list of exhibitors go here:

http://oho.motorcycleshows.com/imsoh...&sort_letter=a

Sorry, haven't learned the shorcut trick. I'll be there Saturday too along with most of the BMW Motorcyle Owners of Cleveland Club.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:35 pm

Garage
Motorcycle Show

I went this past weekend to the NYC show at the Javits Convention Center.

My suggestion, buy your tickets online and get there early!

Every year, the NYC show is packed! I get in at the opening of the show and out by Noon. The first hour or so, the bikes are clear to check out and try on. As the morning grows, the masses gather! This year, there were a of the chopper crowd (The OCC guys, Billy Lane etc.). The idiots doing wheelies and other stunts always show their DVDs. People watching them clog the aisles.

By lunchtime, I've found that you can try on most of the bikes, chat with some vendors and bug out. By noon, you can't even move and my claustrophobia kicks in. I waited almost 10 minutes to sit on an ST1300.

The Cyclegadgets guys and BMWOA were at the NYC shows. I ended up getting the Hoon Hardware mount for my Sirius Sat. Radio . BMWOA gave me another sticker. WOO HOO!

Grab the free catalogues and enjoy the organic sights - blonde, brunette, D cup, etc. Judging by the way the girls were dressed, I'm very glad these strippers found a dayjob. Before I get flamed, I'm sure they're all very nice young ladies who happen to like to wear as little spandex and leather as possible.

The best part of the day was getting home and waking my LT up from her Winter slumber for a 60 mile spin. It was 63 degrees here on Saturday. It'll probably snow like hell this week!

Good luck, and enjoy!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 9 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:11 pm

Howard,

I'll be there ALL day Saturday, as well. I suppose we should pick a time to meet at the BMW exhibit, right next to the new K1200LT. What works for you? I'll post in the MidWest forum as well. Perhaps several of us from bmwlt.com can meet at the same time. Maybe get a group photo.

I've been there the past 3 years in a row, and I really enjoy it. Just being able to see just about every 2006 motorcycle offered under one roof is cool. I'll be drooling all over the new Kaw ZX-14! Then there are all the gadget, doodad, apparel, and DVD vendors wanting your every last dollar. It's big fun! And then there are the riding exhibits (trials bikes, and the 4 wackos that go into the spherical cage and ride simultaneously). Always a good show!

Oh! And not to leave out the over-priced food and beverages.

I'll be with my riding buddy, Nancy. She is going with a specific mission in mind this year. 2006 marks her year to replace her now 2-year-old Ninja 250. She'll be eying up the Ducati St3s, the new Kaw 650R, the Honda VFR800, and a few Beemers. So that will be fun helping her with her buying decision. And, teaching her things about bikes that most women don't give 2 hoots about.

Finally, I'll be bargaining with any reps there that are offering track days. I know that FastTrax will be there from Nelson Ledges. I'm hoping another track (or 2) will show so I can shop and compare. I definitely want to get another track day in this year. Especially since Road Atlanta fell through during CCR.
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:21 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'll be there ALL day Saturday, as well. I suppose we should pick a time to meet at the BMW exhibit, right next to the new K1200LT. What works for you?
I'll be there around 10:00; show opens at 9:00. It's 3 hours+ from my house to the I-X Center...

You have my cell # from previous emails (if not, PM me and I'll send it to you). Call me some time Saturday and we'll try to meet up at the BMW exhibit, or wherever.

I'll have at least one friend, possibly two, with me. They are both experienced riders and are dragging me into this maelstrom called "motorcycling".

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 1:22 am

At most dealers you can pick up discounts of about $2 each off your ticket if you pay at the door. The only other item of interest is parking...its not free in some cities. And not secure or handy in others. Often the least crowded is Friday night if they are open. You can cover a lot of territory and it may be enough time if you live near the show. But then, Saturday is when you'll see a bunch of old friends.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 6:47 am

Parking at the IX Center is definitely NOT free . . . but it is convenient and secure.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:47 pm

Thumbs up International Motorcycle Show - NYC

We went on Friday at the Javits Center in NYC. A great day and plenty of people rode to the show. No crowds at all on Friday. Saturday and Sunday, I'm sure, were crowded. It was my first time there and I enjoyed it. Renewed my AMA membership and subscription to Motorcycle Consumer News, who have a show special for 2 years for the price of one, so I got my admission $ back! AutoCom was there, but no J&M. Of the major manufacturers, the only one I noticed to be missing was Triumph. Strange for all the hot reviews they've been getting. Their loss I guess! There were no aftermarket seat companies there that I saw. As for the "strippers" comments that someone made in another post, there were a few on Friday too.
Dinner in Little Italy.
All in all, it was a long day, that ended in an Italian, Asian, Jazz, Karaoke, Sports Bar in Chinatown at 0400 (that would be 4AM)! I think I heard someone say we sounded good. I'll definitely be back for the show next year!

Bill Hanna
Syracuse, NY
'01 K1200LT (mauve) traded
'04 K1200LT (Black Mariah) traded
'05 (Graphite)
Oh alright. . .I'll ride next to the Harley this time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in