Pilot Gasoline - Beware! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 25th, 2009, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Pilot Gasoline - Beware!

Last weekend I had a very upsetting situation using 89 octane from the Pilot station in Mountain Home, ID. As I was traveling to Boise I filled up at this station, then after spending the weekend there, I filled up there again on the way home without getting gas from any other station. I got to Twin Falls and my finicky filly stopped and would not start again! After quite a story of getting the bike stored for the night and then returning with a trailer the following evening, I trailered her (MUCH saddness , but even the reliability of a BMW can't fight BAD GAS) to BMW of SLC and they discovered / told me she'd been feed some poor fuel!

It appears Pilot stations are everywhere throughout the US, but you won't catch me using them EVER again.

Dave Frederick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 4:10 am

Re: Pilot Gasoline - Beware!

I never never use these "fly" by gas stations. I stick with Chevron, BP, Sunoco, or Exxon (even though I do not like the red dye in their premium fuel) for fuel in my bike and cage. You will get people who say gas is gas and that it all comes from the same pipeline. Agreed that it does come from the same pipeline, but each "branded" fuel supplier adds their own additives. My feeling is that you get what you pay for.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #3 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 1:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've used all the major truck stops (Pilot, Loves, Flying J) without any problems. I've also pulled into a truck stop, saw the "May Contain 10% Ethanol" stickers on the pumps, and pulled right back out.

You can get crappy gas at any station, regardless of brand or label.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I've used all the major truck stops (Pilot, Loves, Flying J) without any problems. I've also pulled into a truck stop, saw the "May Contain 10% Ethanol" stickers on the pumps, and pulled right back out.

+1 to what Ken said.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 2:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 on Ethanol avoidance. One other thing I do is, if I get to a station and see the tanker truck, I go to another station. When they fill the tanks it always stirs up whatever may be there and takes several hours to settle out. Not worth the risk of pumping crap into my tank.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #6 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
+1 on Ethanol avoidance. One other thing I do is, if I get to a station and see the tanker truck, I go to another station. When they fill the tanks it always stirs up whatever may be there and takes several hours to settle out. Not worth the risk of pumping crap into my tank.

And there is the problem - you never know exactly when the tanker truck left. It could be 10 minutes down the road and you would have never seen it at the station.
Your best "insurance" is to only patronize large volume dealers, not the small, out of the way, no-name stations where the tanks are more likely to have contaminants. Oh, and always get a receipt for your gas. If you do get a bad tankful that causes damage (towing, parts replacements, etc) your only chance of going back on the station owner is the dated and timed receipt slip, proving you bought fuel there, and then shortly afterwards your bike died due to bad fuel.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #7 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

I don't think that I have seen gas in Florida without the possibility of ethanol. You end up with about 85% of the 'power" and millage for the same price as without!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Engine "junk food"...

A few years ago, a "name brand" dumped a bad load of fuel in New Orleans.. years before the hurricane hit..

They ended up having to take the "Name brand" to court.. and after a couple years the folks who managed to join the "class action" suit were rewarded with enough money to pay for their car repairs...

Of course the "Name brand" learned their lesson..
post #9 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 6:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I don't think that I have seen gas in Florida without the possibility of ethanol. You end up with about 85% of the 'power" and mileage for the same price as without!
I will say that the 10% ethanol stations are labeled on the pump itself, and usually a few cents cheaper. Not 85% as cheap, but maybe 5-8 cents/gallon cheaper. I'll still avoid them, although they do manage to lure in a few unwitting drivers looking for a bargain.

Come to think of it, our CA gas is "oxygenated" during the winter months, usually using ethanol but not strictly labeling it as such. Sigh.

But I still can't figure why in the hell we're wasting perfectly good feed crops making inferior gas when there really is enough oil to go around. Gotta keep those farmers subsidized, I guess.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I got a bad tank just this past weekend leaving the Chicken Rally. Small station...I should know better. The poor girl coughed and sputtered, cut off at idle, for about 400 miles. But she kept on pulling my wife and I and the trailer. Finally, after 5 tanks of gas and some Sea Foam she came to life. +1 on not using the small stations and 10% ethanol additives.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #11 of 12 Old May 26th, 2009, 11:10 pm

no choice on 10% ethanol here in the MidWest, we have to use it per Congress' mandate.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #12 of 12 Old May 27th, 2009, 2:52 pm

Wink Re: Pilot Gasoline - Beware!

Meese,
I have never had a american farmer threaten me with death or death to America, so I don't have any problem with the American farmer providing fuel for my vehicles and by the way the corn used to produce ethanol is not the same type of corn used for food production. I have a multi fuel GMC Yukon and when I am pulling my 24 foot van trailer with a heavy load (wife's 1967 GTO) I prefer to use E85, ya thats 85% ethanol it has much better pulling power. I also have a dirt track sprint car that runs on 100% ethanol with "0" problems. I run my BMW LT and my Buell Ulysses on the ethanol blend fuel all the time 94,000 miles on the LT and never a fuel related problem.

--Thats OK I don't care--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in