Any round engine types out there?

> DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE WHO FLEW BEHIND ROUND
>>>> > AIRCRAFT ENGINES
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > We gotta get rid of those turbines, they're ruining
>>>> > aviation and our hearing...
>>>> >
>>>> > A turbine is too simple minded, it has no mystery.
>>>> > The air travels through it in a straight line and
>>>> > doesn't pick up any of the pungent fragrance of
>>>> > engine oil or pilot sweat.
>>>> >
>>>> > Anybody can start a turbine. You just need to move a
>>>> > switch from "OFF" to "START" and then remember to
>>>> > move it back to "ON" after a while. My PC is harder
>>>> > to start.
>>>> >
>>>> > Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and
>>>> > style. You have to seduce it into starting. It's
>>>> > like waking up a horny mistress. On some planes, the
>>>> > pilots aren't even allowed to do it...
>>>> >
>>>> > Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a
>>>> > lady-like poof and start whining a little louder.
>>>> >
>>>> > Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle,
>>>> > click-click, BANG, more rattles, another BANG, a big
>>>> > macho FART or two, more clicks, a lot more smoke and
>>>> > finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that.
>>>> > It's a GUY thing...
>>>> >
>>>> > When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged
>>>> > and you can concentrate on the flight ahead.
>>>> > Starting a turbine is like flicking of a ceiling
>>>> > fan: Useful, but, hardly exciting.
>>>> >
>>>> > When you have started his round engine successfully
>>>> > your Crew Chief looks up at you like he'd let you
>>>> > kiss his girl, too!
>>>> >
>>>> > Turbines don't break or catch fire often enough,
>>>> > which leads to aircrew boredom, complacency and
>>>> > inattention. A round engine at speed looks and
>>>> > sounds like it's going to blow any minute. This
>>>> > helps concentrate the mind !
>>>> >
>>>> > Turbines don't have enough control levers or gauges
>>>> > to keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to
>>>> > fiddle with during long flights.
>>>> >
>>>> > Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman
>>>> > Lamps. Round engines smell like God intended
>>>> > machines to smell.
>>>> >
>>>> > Pass this on to an old WWII guy (or his son, or
>>>> > anyone who flew them, ever) in remembrance of that
>>>> > "Greatest Generation".

>>>> > Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
>>>> > "00LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:36 pm

Like it. I am a WWII engineering buff, mostly interested in anything aviation and submarines. Love reading about the engineering involved in developing both.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:54 pm

I still fly in FRONT of one on my airship.

A Koenig (made in Berlin) 430cc, 3 cylinder, TWO STROKE, electric start radial rated at 24 hp. It pushes a 53" prop. Fully certificated and one sweet little engine that has never failed to start or perform. It uses a Dellorto carb and sounds (believe it or not) like a Merlin. Very throaty and deep.

It burns low lead at a 40:1 mix ratio with Yamalube and smokes less than my LT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroMedia Airship.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1640  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:25 pm

...straight four ... yes
...radial.... (yes)
....Rotary . ((yes??))
....flat four horizontaly oposed twin - CAME OFF THE ARK (or a beetle) - Lycoming, what were you thinking.

(ps Ron, I've just built a small(12x6 feet(4x2m)) helium UAV for inspection work for my company (envelope made by Cameron Ballons (Lindstrom, Branson),yes, that lot) - intrigued that someone else 'has the faith'!! (if I told you what we use it for, you would never believe it )).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Woolly; Jan 22nd, 2006 at 6:30 pm.
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:49 pm

Don't forget that beautiful fragrant puddle of oil underneath....

An old man once told me "You can draw a picture of a radial engine, Hang it on the wall and an hour later they'll be a puddle of oil underneath it".

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 7:40 pm

Let those noisy bastards drag me around for over a thousand hours.

T28, Hu16 Albatross "Goat" (there maybe someone here who will recognize the service), and a B25 for a friend in the early '80s.

Don't start talking to my wife she will top you with pictures flying a B17. She beats me since I have only advanced the throttles on 2 of those bad boys at one time.

Turbines, the only thing I've ever backed up. Really impresses the line guys.

Rick
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:25 pm

Radial...

Having grown up in South Louisiana, plenty of Stearmans were used for cropdusting and I got to ride along. I'd love to get that chance again. About 8 years ago, my uncle got me a ride in a completely refurbished Navy Trainer up in Bryan's Road, Maryland. Both the airplane and my uncle are gone now, due to different reasons..

Radial engines are the main reason I wanted to ride Harleys.. they were the closest to radials I could afford. After all, motorcycling is a poor excuse for being able to fly, expecially behind a real motor... Well, enough dreaming... back to reality... and the LT.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:55 pm

Hey, Channing - you mentioned Stearman. Check this out. My bro Greg up in Wichita, KS pilots #69. I'm still looking forward to my first ride in it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Greg and Vic.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1641  
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:11 pm

First LD ride for resurrected Toad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Channing - you mentioned Stearman. Check this out. My bro Greg up in Wichita, KS pilots #69. I'm still looking forward to my first ride in it.
Hey, Dick! Man.. if you need a buddy to ride up with you, let me know and I'll try to go with ya!... It would be worth it just to stand next to the plane...

Your brother shure has a beautiful plane.. I'm happy for him!

Peace... Channing

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 1:22 am

I have never had the chance to work on a round engine. While in the Marines, I worked on C130s and A-6's. I always enjoyed the C130 most, compared to any other aircraft in the military. There is just something about propellers.

My favorite aircraft of all time is the F4U Corsair. It is such a beautiful airplane.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #11 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:01 am

Sometimes I work the Antique and Classic ramp during Oshkosh. There is nothing that sounds as nice as a round engine coming to life. And usually the airplane behind it is pretty nice too! Thanks for posting Bob. When I "need a fix" a couple of hours out at Creve Coeur works just fine.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 3:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I looks like #356 was parked on the side stand overnight.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 4:00 pm

Things change, you need to embrace the change and make it yours. Otherwise you will find yourself sitting in a corner with a bunch of grumpy old people whining about whippersnappers and such while the world passes you by.
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
There's nothing wrong with a little nostalgia, and an appreciation for the past. Just don't get stuck there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:46 pm

Come on Ken, I only get to think about the past a few moments when someone ask about or brings it up. This is first of three times for this year. I've only got 10047 good days left. Got to keep looking ahead and improving.

Send me some money, I want to get an airship rating. That would keep me from getting stuck in the past.

Rick
post #16 of 25 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Come on Ken, I only get to think about the past a few moments when someone ask about or brings it up. This is first of three times for this year. I've only got 10047 good days left. Got to keep looking ahead and improving.

Send me some money, I want to get an airship rating. That would keep me from getting stuck in the past.

Rick
Not only will I give you the airship rating, I'll sell you an airship!

Send me some money.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 25 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
...straight four ... yes
...radial.... (yes)
....Rotary . ((yes??))
....flat four horizontaly oposed twin - CAME OFF THE ARK (or a beetle) - Lycoming, what were you thinking.

(ps Ron, I've just built a small(12x6 feet(4x2m)) helium UAV for inspection work for my company (envelope made by Cameron Ballons (Lindstrom, Branson),yes, that lot) - intrigued that someone else 'has the faith'!! (if I told you what we use it for, you would never believe it )).
Ummm, flying down smoke stacks? Inspecting power lines? Looking in windows at a woman's college dormitory while pod casting live over the Internet? I would love to fly one of yours, whilst reclined in a lawn chair sipping a pint... but I'll bet when the wind comes up it gets your attention!

I use ours for spot advertising contracts - lots of sports marketing, etc. We primarily market to BIG ($$$$ kaching) corporations. Working on getting a contract for an event in Japan right now for next November with a certain rather large Japanese car company... REALLY want to go there.

Time to go for a spin (literally) in my RX7. Had it since 1993.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 25 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Ummm, flying down smoke stacks? Inspecting power lines? Looking in windows at a woman's college dormitory while pod casting live over the Internet? I would love to fly one of yours, whilst reclined in a lawn chair sipping a pint... but I'll bet when the wind comes up it gets your attention!

I use ours for spot advertising contracts - lots of sports marketing, etc. We primarily market to BIG ($$$$ kaching) corporations. Working on getting a contract for an event in Japan right now for next November with a certain rather large Japanese car company... REALLY want to go there.

Time to go for a spin (literally) in my RX7. Had it since 1993.
... 'flying down smoke stacks? Inspecting power lines' - na, use our heliocopter for that - Twin Squirrel, with full LIDAR + HD video system

...'Looking in windows at a woman's college dormitory while pod casting live over the Internet?' - na, still just young enough to get invited in!!

I fly mine in the dead of night, inspecting airshafts for the London Underground - I think, possibly the first 'lighter than Air' craft to be flown below ground.

...'but I'll bet when the wind comes up it gets your attention!' - strangely enough, it's less hassle, than, say, a 'Good Year Blimp' - less windage, less drag, - flies well in windspeeds up to bout 12 knots. (only problem is max payload is about 4 kilos (bout 8Lbs), so have problems sometimes with the 'hi tech gear(laser scanners, thermal imaging cameras etc.) that I need to hang off it !!

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #19 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 6:11 am

Re: Any round engine types out there?

Stumbled across this thread from 2006 by accident. When I was in high school I installed avionics in general aviation airplanes and once assisted the lineman with servicing an FAA DC-3 that was used to validate instrument approach systems. We filled the DC-3 with fuel and then put 10 gallons of oil in the left engine!

I go to the unlimited hydroplane races in Kennewic, WA each year and I am old enough to remember when the unlimiteds were truly "thunderboats". They were running Rolls Royce Merlins and Griffens. Some were running Allisons. When they ran the last heat for the trophy coming down the starting stretch you could scream as loud as you could scream and could not hear yourself! A beautiful pleasing DEEP roar.

And now they're gone. Now they run screechy little gas turbine engines from helicopters. To give them credit they do exceed 200 mph over most of the course but now they are "whineyboats".

The thunder has left the building.........

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #20 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 11:55 am

Thanks for finding this.

Made me think of my Stearman time.

A lot of fun, but just not the same push in the seat of your pants that kerosene produces.
post #21 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 2:26 pm

My pleasure entirely Busa. There's nothing like horsepower for us old guys! The story about why the hydros switched to turbines was because they were more than doubling the original hp by turning up the supercharger boost and blowing these precious relics up on a fairly regular basis. The holders of the remaining engines refused to sell anymore to the boat folks in order to insure replacement powerplants for the remaining planes.

Ahhhh. sniff sniff..... The good old days!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 5:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Stearman. Don't forget the radial engined Sherman tanks (M4, M4A1, M4A6).

Motor On ,/'

post #23 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:30 pm

and then again there's THIS:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radialmotorcycle1a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	24149  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Dick.. did you EVER get that RIDE???? Report!
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Dick.. did you EVER get that RIDE???? Report!
Nope - haven't been back home in ages. And he's been so busy with the runway and the subdivision infrastructure that I don't think he's been up a lot lately. He usually goes to Oshkosh fly-in, so I might time a trip to coincide with that some year. In the meantime, I hear it's a real hoot to go up in one of those, with or without the scarf and the leather 'helmet'!!! If I get there, I'll definitely give ya a yell, Chan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in