Winter tire advice? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Winter tire advice?

Anyone use these: http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta

I have a 97 full size Ford Super Duty Conversion Van currently running Michelin LTX M/S tires. I barely get around with any snow and these Nokian tires were recommended by the dealer we have been using for the past fifteen years.

Just wondered if anyone has experience with these tires on a similar, or any other type vehicle.

I never heard of these until two days ago.

Chains are limited to 35 MPH and pretty much useless.

I need to get about 6 miles out of the back roads to get to a State maintained road to travel anywhere. The hills to and from my residence makes it almost impossible to navigate with the tires I now have. I NEED something for this winter.

Michelin does not make a dedicated snow tire, and the only other company that does is Kelly. I had a terrible time with their tires on my 4x4 Previa. The rear wheel drive is that much worse to deal with in winter.

BTW, they also make studded snow tires for MC's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 11:23 am

Re: Winter tire advice?

I got page not found

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 2:58 pm Thread Starter

Goggle: Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tire

The LT super duty set of 4 is just under $575

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
Goggle: Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tire

The LT super duty set of 4 is just under $575
I ran them on all my Volvo's. buy 4. and get them studded. the vehicle will drive like its on rails. end of problems (for me at least with a rear wheel drive 764 Turbo)....

ps, just went out and confirmed. I have them on my '03 avalanche as well. Since i only drive the truck 3-4 months a year, they are lasting extremely well!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Last edited by mconlogue; Nov 19th, 2008 at 5:53 pm. Reason: more info
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Wayne,

Those are great tires. I haven't used those but know many people that swear by them.

I used Bridgestone Blizzak tires on my conversion van and they worked very well while I was traveling all over the state to ski races with my son.

I still think you can't beat studded tires in really lousy conditions. Which reminds me, I need new tires for my truck.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

My research indicated NOT to go with the studs. I intend to use these year round, and the specs stated the tires designed for use without studs, performed better over all.

I put my P235 75 R15 Michelin LTX M/S all season radials for sale today. Anyone lives near Allentown /Lehighton Pa interested in a set of Super Duty 50K rated tires with 17k miles on them, price is $245. I paid just under $600 for them. Excellent condition.

Either way, looks like it will be four of the Nokian tires for $572. Hope that does it! Now that I think about it, I need to see what kind of financing they offer...
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
My research indicated NOT to go with the studs. I intend to use these year round, and the specs stated the tires designed for use without studs, performed better over all.

I put my P235 75 R15 Michelin LTX M/S all season radials for sale today. Anyone lives near Allentown /Lehighton Pa interested in a set of Super Duty 50K rated tires with 17k miles on them, price is $245. I paid just under $600 for them. Excellent condition.

Either way, looks like it will be four of the Nokian tires for $572. Hope that does it! Now that I think about it, I need to see what kind of financing they offer...

yup, you are right. in Maine, mandatory studs off April 15th. I thought you were looking for dedicated snow tires. since i don't drive my Avalanche in the summer (only Jan-March). I forgot about that law......

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 7:37 pm

Wayne,

It is a very bad idea to use winter tires year round. The compounds used can't handle the hot weather very well and in severe cases can overheat enough to delaminate. The tires won't last very long and by next winter the tread will be so worn they will be useless as a snow tire.

Keep the tires you have and get some steel rims with inexpensive studded snow tires for just the winter. Like these $64+$15=$79 each. You should be able to find steel wheels for your van for $25 each. So for about $400 you'll have a dedicated set of winter tires that will last you several years.

Tire Rack

As far as studs vs. non-studded tires go it has been my experience that the studs work better on ice/black ice than the studless tires and I find that to be the most dangerous conditions to protect against.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Check these out before you buy...click here

Look for the Weathermaster..

Been selling and installing Coopers for many years, excellent tires for less $$ than many other major brands and American made to boot.

The weathermasters work wonderfull as a dedicated snow tire, trust me we get plenty snow and ice around here to test 'em on.

Also for excellent year round traction check out the Discoverer ATR, excellent traction in all conditions. I have them on both our trucks and my father also uses them on his commercial plow truck.

I also don't recommend using dedicated snows year 'round...

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 9:37 am Thread Starter

I drive just over 3k miles a year to begin with. At 12 mpg and the cost of gas as it was this past year, I have nothing left to live on, and barely enough for food. My tires usually dry rot before the tread is worn. I really can not afford to not have snow tires as that is my only means to get around, and can't afford to buy them without selling my Michelin's. I can't afford another set of rims. Just happen to be one of those people that got a lousy hand of cards in this lifetime. Could be worse.

I have almost 10k miles on the two BMW's since last Nov! AND, I only ride that maybe, 4-7 or possibly 8 days a month, with at least four months of down time due to poor weather.

We could have paid for a lot of services, gas, tires, heating fuel, medical expenses and food with the $15k we have in the MC venture including all the safety gear. Possibly a HUGE financial mistake, but is sure has been a blast once we got on the road.

The VA does everything possible not to pay my yearly disability medical expenses in a timely manner (as they attempt to do to many veterans). The criminally operating SSD/SSA has done everything possible to cheat me out of my benefits since 1992. The IRS continues to attempt to steal money I do not owe, with no accountability or due process of law. The price you pay when you attempt to stand up for your RIGHTS.

Having pissed off my share of elected officials, Federal, County and State employees by speaking publicly about their corrupt and UNLAWFUL actions and actually doing something about it, someone somewhere, has been able to effectively cut me off from many benefits I would otherwise be entitled to, for the past ten years. Doing so, a few dishonest people have lost their jobs!

I lost my protected parking space, which I have had for 14 years on privately owned property, due to the non enforcement policy, of an existing LAW and our RIGHT of WAY, which is in the DEED. Yet the person that has dumped tons of large rocks and stone in our commonly shared driveway, can not be held accountable. Unless of course we could come up with an additional $10,000 to take the other party to court, in which case the only winner is the attorney.

The LT should have been the last thing we ever bought and the first to go when is was a choice between eating or paying for all the parts and service on this bike.

Unfortunately we would now lose at least $6k, even it if sold for what we are asking for it.

To solve my immediate crisis and stop the hemorrhaging, I NEED the four snow tires asap, by whatever means I can make that happen. I ordered a matched set this morning. Too risky to pay an additional $140 for studs, and then have to remove them in early Spring. The tires are $575. I tried Z chains a few years back, and that was a disaster.

Add to that my renters insurance just about doubled, another $424 for the LT insurance, and I am eating noodles six days a week so as it is.

$20 for 600 lbs of tube sand from Lowes should give me enough ballast to keep the needed traction in the rear. Pick that up right after I get the tires next week.

May I live long enough to see and partake in the Revolution!

Too peeved at this point to truly offer what I would really like to say....
Have to watch for those damn spy bots ya know.

PS: I did call the tire dealer after reading the aforementioned recommendation, and the manager did state he did not suggest using this tire year round. May have to pull my tired ad, and deal with the financial issues as I go. $50 to change back in April, is about the most affordable option I have at this point. I just can not risk any accident because I couldn't afford the tires for winter.

Last edited by yechave; Nov 20th, 2008 at 9:57 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in