Can you talk turkey? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 2:41 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Can you talk turkey?

How much do you REALLY know about turkeys?

http://home.aristotle.net/Thanksgiving/trivia.asp

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 3:26 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: Can you talk turkey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
How much do you REALLY know about turkeys?
Not much, 8 and two were a guess.

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122

Last edited by Steve_R; Nov 14th, 2008 at 5:23 am.
post #3 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

After a year on this site a lot

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 3:48 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

12 outa 20 I must be a turkey

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I bow to your turkeyness,9 of 20

dan
post #6 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Garage

Damn! You guys really know your turkey facts. I only got 3 out 20.

We're deep frying our Tom this year. Can't wait!

First, some deep fried twinkies, then the Turkey, then the Oreos!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #7 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Feathered friends, I got 12.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Super Moderator

11 out of 20. And to think I get these things in my yard all the time.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 6:05 pm

domestic turkey is like eating corn, and corn by-products. force fed to fatten, and then slaughtered. (don't get me started on grain (corn) fed beef)

Archer Daniels Midland, and Carghill (the Industrial Food Chain!!) thank you for keeping them in business...

look up the agricultural food bills that are only coporate welfare. Family farms see NOTHING!

reference:
http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

"IN DEFENSE OF FOOD
Michael Pollan. Penguin Press, $21.95 (232p) ISBN 978-1-59420-145-5

In his hugely influential treatise The Omnivore's Dilemma, Pollan traced a direct line between the industrialization of our food supply and the degradation of the environment. His new book takes up where the previous work left off. Examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of health, this powerfully argued, thoroughly researched and elegant manifesto cuts straight to the chase with a maxim that is deceptively simple: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." But as Pollan explains, "food" in a country that is driven by "a thirty-two billion-dollar marketing machine" is both a loaded term and, in its purest sense, a holy grail."

Read it if you dare. it WILL change your life. Read it only if you want to save your life.

I was at a one of his talks last week in Maine, moving and passionate.

My wife and I went off the industrial food chain in august '08. the only things we buy at the "grocery store" are toilet paper, and wine.

All of our meats are purchased at a local farm, where they are all 100% grass fed, and within 10 miles of my house.

Beef, Pork, Chicken, Duck, Veal and Lamb. all local, and all fed grass.

We go to 2-3 farmers markets a week, and only buy what is in season. I have 9 cold frames out, and we are still harvesting brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, and cold tolerant lettuce and spinach. I am in zone 4, (Maine) and I am making it work.

My wife and I both work 40+ hours a week, and purchase NO prepared food. We make pasta from scratch, as well as homemade breads and rolls. We went through the cupboards and tossed all of the corn, and corn supplements (malto dextrin, xantham gum, high fructose corn syrup), as well as soy (another subsidized commodity crop).

and anything that is hydrogenated...ANYTHING! including frigging crisco.
(margarine is only one molecule away from plastic, but "they" claim it is good for you, or at least better than the evil butter. (BULLSHIT)

There IS a HUGE difference between nutrition, and food.

IMPORTANT:
"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #10 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 6:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I managed 13, with a few educated guesses. Then again I probably cheated, since my ancestors came over on the Mayflower so they were actually at the first Thanksgiving.

As for the other comments, we've been trying to minimize consumption of high fructose corn syrup, but it's in everything out there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 6:47 pm

19/20 What can I say?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I managed 13, with a few educated guesses. Then again I probably cheated, since my ancestors came over on the Mayflower so they were actually at the first Thanksgiving.

As for the other comments, we've been trying to minimize consumption of high fructose corn syrup, but it's in everything out there.

It is not in the stuff I grow in the garden...........

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #13 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
domestic turkey is like eating corn, and corn by-products. force fed to fatten, and then slaughtered. (don't get me started on grain (corn) fed beef)

Archer Daniels Midland, and Carghill (the Industrial Food Chain!!) thank you for keeping them in business...

look up the agricultural food bills that are only coporate welfare. Family farms see NOTHING!

reference:
http://www.michaelpollan.com/omnivore.php

"IN DEFENSE OF FOOD
Michael Pollan. Penguin Press, $21.95 (232p) ISBN 978-1-59420-145-5

In his hugely influential treatise The Omnivore's Dilemma, Pollan traced a direct line between the industrialization of our food supply and the degradation of the environment. His new book takes up where the previous work left off. Examining the question of what to eat from the perspective of health, this powerfully argued, thoroughly researched and elegant manifesto cuts straight to the chase with a maxim that is deceptively simple: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." But as Pollan explains, "food" in a country that is driven by "a thirty-two billion-dollar marketing machine" is both a loaded term and, in its purest sense, a holy grail."

Read it if you dare. it WILL change your life. Read it only if you want to save your life.

I was at a one of his talks last week in Maine, moving and passionate.

My wife and I went off the industrial food chain in august '08. the only things we buy at the "grocery store" are toilet paper, and wine.

All of our meats are purchased at a local farm, where they are all 100% grass fed, and within 10 miles of my house.

Beef, Pork, Chicken, Duck, Veal and Lamb. all local, and all fed grass.

We go to 2-3 farmers markets a week, and only buy what is in season. I have 9 cold frames out, and we are still harvesting brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, and cold tolerant lettuce and spinach. I am in zone 4, (Maine) and I am making it work.

My wife and I both work 40+ hours a week, and purchase NO prepared food. We make pasta from scratch, as well as homemade breads and rolls. We went through the cupboards and tossed all of the corn, and corn supplements (malto dextrin, xantham gum, high fructose corn syrup), as well as soy (another subsidized commodity crop).

and anything that is hydrogenated...ANYTHING! including frigging crisco.
(margarine is only one molecule away from plastic, but "they" claim it is good for you, or at least better than the evil butter. (BULLSHIT)

There IS a HUGE difference between nutrition, and food.

IMPORTANT:
"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."
Hey Mark - I'm guessing you would also agree with this quote from Anthelme Brillat-Savarin who wrote in 1826:

"Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es." [Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are].

Amy and I got off all that crap about 5 years ago. If I was to eat any fried food now I would literally shit my pants in about 30 minutes. Salt puts me into a coma - and we won't even consider consuming high fructose corn syrup or anything made from refined flour. Restaurant food is not even a possibility these days.

While it is just about impossible to grow our own in the desert we hit the local farmer's market frequently and are fortunate enough to be able to buy mostly organic.

It has made a huge difference in our weight and health.

Keep up the rant as long as you want.

I have to admit a certain fondness for Charmin Ultra...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 13th, 2008 at 8:01 pm.
post #14 of 27 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
It is not in the stuff I grow in the garden...........
Cool. What time is dinner at your place?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 5:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
And your point is?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 5:39 am

10/20 here.

I just counted the correct answers, I did not go back to see what the correct answers were to the ones I missed So I don't know any more about turkeys now than I did before I took this quiz.

It's starting to seem like I don't even care.

T.

The Bad Ted

post #17 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 5:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
19/20 What can I say?
Takes one to know one!!!!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Hey Mark - I'm guessing you would also agree with this quote from Anthelme Brillat-Savarin who wrote in 1826:

"Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es." [Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are].

Amy and I got off all that crap about 5 years ago. If I was to eat any fried food now I would literally shit my pants in about 30 minutes. Salt puts me into a coma - and we won't even consider consuming high fructose corn syrup or anything made from refined flour. Restaurant food is not even a possibility these days.

While it is just about impossible to grow our own in the desert we hit the local farmer's market frequently and are fortunate enough to be able to buy mostly organic.

It has made a huge difference in our weight and health.

Keep up the rant as long as you want.

I have to admit a certain fondness for Charmin Ultra...

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Hit this link. This will work anywhere. He goes all around the world (3rd world too) teaching them how to grow their own vegetables in inhospitable places.

"IMPROVEMENTS OVER OTHER METHODS

Out Produces Every Other Method Known

Largest Selling Garden Book In America, - EVER

Requires very little space; 80% less than conventional gardening.
Can be done in as little as 4 feet by 4 feet, -- or as large as you want.
Your existing (bad) soil doesn't matter because we don't use it. Start with an ideal soil mix that is weed-free and requires no tilling.
Uses much less water; only about 20% compared to conventional gardening.
No fertilizers or pesticides to handle -- it's all natural
The planting method requires no thinning and very few seeds.
All the hard work has been removed in the Square Foot method - only the enjoyable part remains.
Can be started in any season.
Produces 5 times the harvest of a conventional garden.
Can be done by those with physical or mental limitations. If getting down is a problem, raise the boxes to a wheelchair level.
Makes a great family project, all ages can participate - kids love to garden. "

I have some pics of my SFG, and will post them tonight. I have critter cages built over them to keep out the animals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garden 027 (Medium).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	20597   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 0808 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	20598   Click image for larger version

Name:	garden 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	20599   Click image for larger version

Name:	June 0308 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	20600  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

Last edited by mconlogue; Nov 14th, 2008 at 11:53 am. Reason: add pics
post #19 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 3:01 pm

The only 2 things I know about turkeys is how to eat them and how cool they look in the woods!

If I cook, my dawgs won't even eat the leftovers
post #20 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Quote:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Hit this link. This will work anywhere. He goes all around the world (3rd world too) teaching them how to grow their own vegetables in inhospitable places.

"IMPROVEMENTS OVER OTHER METHODS

Out Produces Every Other Method Known

Largest Selling Garden Book In America, - EVER

Requires very little space; 80% less than conventional gardening.
Can be done in as little as 4 feet by 4 feet, -- or as large as you want.
Your existing (bad) soil doesn't matter because we don't use it. Start with an ideal soil mix that is weed-free and requires no tilling.
Uses much less water; only about 20% compared to conventional gardening.
No fertilizers or pesticides to handle -- it's all natural
The planting method requires no thinning and very few seeds.
All the hard work has been removed in the Square Foot method - only the enjoyable part remains.
Can be started in any season.
Produces 5 times the harvest of a conventional garden.
Can be done by those with physical or mental limitations. If getting down is a problem, raise the boxes to a wheelchair level.
Makes a great family project, all ages can participate - kids love to garden. "

I have some pics of my SFG, and will post them tonight. I have critter cages built over them to keep out the animals.
Won't work here unfortunately - we've got Javelinas and they would tear that apart in about two minutes... They are generally pretty low key but when it comes to food they can rip apart anything short of welded steel. They can also EAT just about anything - they LOVE to chow on prickly pear cactus - spines and all.

Although THEY are very tasty with a nice spice rub grilled over charcoal!

The babies are cuter than hell. If you can imagine puppies with fangs (and a bad attitude) you get the idea...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Javelina-tpwd.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	20616   Click image for larger version

Name:	javelina babies.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	20617  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 14th, 2008 at 8:56 pm.
post #21 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 10:04 pm

Thinking of doing a turducken....anyone tried one and what are your thoughts.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 4:57 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

This is all I know about talking turkey:

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #23 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 6:25 pm

TURDUCKEN is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #24 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
TURDUCKEN is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Nogills2....you being from LA Id figure has much

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #25 of 27 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:37 am

I think I can talk turkey, see photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0367.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	20711   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0370.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	20712  

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #26 of 27 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
This is all I know about talking turkey:
Nice Breasts! Awh come on guys get your mind out of the gutter, I am talking about the bird!

What is the difference, taste-wise, from a wild Turkey to the one's we buy in the store?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #27 of 27 Old Nov 20th, 2008, 6:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
I think I can talk turkey, see photo.

Yes, see Photo.

T.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Turkey2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	20713  

The Bad Ted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in