Question for Florida residents... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Question for Florida residents...

Hey there,

I am giving serious thought to moving to a warmer climate. I have spent a great deal time considering as to what was the compelling reason to stay in Chicago and I am coming up empty

Adding to my hate of the seemingly unending Chicago winters, my wife is a SAD sufferer and being in the doldrums for 4 months a year is too much to ask of anyone. So...

I am asking your opinions of the great state of Florida. I am primarily looking at the Tampa area, thought there is an employment opportunity in Winter Park. I have been blown away by how much more home I can get for the same money down there. My understanding is that, on top of this, Florida has no state income tax and generally low property taxes. Not to mention, we are big Disney fans and spend thousands every year in trips down for that

How do you like it? Is it unbearably hot in the summer? Do you miss the change of seasons? Is my tax information accurate? Does the preponderance of small "critters" bother you? Anyone from the Tampa area? Where are the best schools?

I welcome your input and appreciate it.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Re: Question for Florida residents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
Hey there,

I am giving serious thought to moving to a warmer climate. I have spent a great deal time considering as to what was the compelling reason to stay in Chicago and I am coming up empty

Adding to my hate of the seemingly unending Chicago winters, my wife is a SAD sufferer and being in the doldrums for 4 months a year is too much to ask of anyone. So...

I am asking your opinions of the great state of Florida. I am primarily looking at the Tampa area, thought there is an employment opportunity in Winter Park. I have been blown away by how much more home I can get for the same money down there. My understanding is that, on top of this, Florida has no state income tax and generally low property taxes. Not to mention, we are big Disney fans and spend thousands every year in trips down for that

How do you like it? Is it unbearably hot in the summer? Do you miss the change of seasons? Is my tax information accurate? Does the preponderance of small "critters" bother you? Anyone from the Tampa area? Where are the best schools?

I welcome your input and appreciate it.

Brian
Hey Brian,
I'm about 30 min north of Winter Park and roughly 50 min from Disney. Been in Florida nearly 25 years. As Dave said in his response, the riding season is 12 months. Winters are fantastic and summer is managable. You'll need good rain gear and decent mesh for summer. Electrics are best for winter as mornings can be pretty cold but it usually warm up nicely during the day.

Your correct about no State Income tax. Sales tax is in the 7% range in most areas and does not apply to food, medical and most other necessities. Property Tax has gone up some over the years but is still reasonable. HomeOwners Ins is a big variable. It's pretty steep near the Ocean and Gulf but not so bad in the interior. I have always lived in Central Florida and have no problem getting Ins at what I thought were reasonable rates.

Riding in Florida tends to be kind of straight and flat with a few execptions. Actually, the area where I live is one of the more scenic areas in the state. The town is Mount Dora and as the name suggests we actually have some great roads with hills, valleys and curves!

Best of all, my property is for sale. It consists of 5 ac on a dead end,paved country road just 5 miles out of town. We have a 3/2 home with 2 car attached garage, a detached 3 car garage/work shop and a 2 stall barn with 12 X 24 tack room. The back 3 ac are fenced and cross fenced. I'm interested in relocating as I'm getting older, we no longer have horses and would like to down size. If you would like more info on my property and or the area PM me and I'll be happy to try to answere your question.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I am in the Tallahassee area, away from the big cities. I have been here for 22 years and love it. Tallahassee has a lot of Florida history. 15 minutes you can be at the coast, another 15 minutes you can be in Georgia. Go east or west and another 15 minutes be in the country.

My parents love it and moved here when Dad retired from the military. Like most said, hot summers, my Mom hates the heat, and cold winters. Because I a little farther north, our winters get a little colder, but you can ride year around.

Hurricane seasons is nerve racking. But as long as you a plan in place is not bad.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 16 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I am over on the east coast near Daytona Beach, have lived here for over 50 years and still think it is the best place to live in the country. Our climate is just about perfect, very rarely getting "too" hot. The afternoon seabreeze kicks in almost everyday. Cost of living is not bad but then again wages are not what they are in the north either.

People keep moving down here, must be better than where they came from. Even though we are flatlanders there are thousands of miles of fun riding in the state. BTW Winter Park is a nice area.

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #5 of 16 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Let me think ....Chicago or any part of Fla. hope you have your U-haul loaded.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #6 of 16 Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson61
Let me think ....Chicago or any part of Fla. hope you have your U-haul loaded.

I'm working on it

Thank you all for the information. If it were just me, I would have been out the door already/ Biggest concern at this point is the change for my kids. They are none too keen on the idea as it would mean new school, new friends, etc. I do sympathize. I am also thinking the draw of having a house with a swimming pool may just ease the pain

post #7 of 16 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 5:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would not think twice about it. Moved her in the mid 70's and my only decision would be where in Florida. Live in Tampa and it's a good compromise. Lots of really great places to live all over, just stay north of Jupiter on the east coast. Way too congested and fast. Love the more rural parts as I season..... Unfortunately, the best part of riding a bike in Florida is just after you leave the state! Roads are too flat and straight. But, I love living here. Love it out west too!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 16 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 7:11 am

Quote:
I'm working on it

Thank you all for the information. If it were just me, I would have been out the door already/ Biggest concern at this point is the change for my kids. They are none too keen on the idea as it would mean new school, new friends, etc. I do sympathize. I am also thinking the draw of having a house with a swimming pool may just ease the pain
When we moved from PA to Florida we too were concerned about the kids, 2 girls in middle school and 1 boy who had just finished his Junior year and was entering grade 12. It took the three of them about a month to forget about their "friends" back in PA and become fully absorbed in the Florida life style. Now, some 25 years later the two girls are well adjusted with families and good jobs and my son is an orthopedic surgeon so I guess the trama of moving was miniminal.

Good luck with your decision.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 16 Old Nov 13th, 2008, 9:00 am

My sister lived here before I did, so I visited here "a lot"

In November of 1980, I came to Florida for a two week vacation
it only took me a couple of days to decide I wasn't going back to Michigan,

I still have no intentions of leaving,
Florida isn't "the perfect" place to live, but I can't think of any place I'd rather be "right now"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 1:54 am

Random thoughts-

You may miss the city's cultural diversity and amenities. Concerts in the park, art museums, the Field museum, etc..

The weather trade is hurricanes for winter.
Coastal areas are warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.The breeze is the best but salt will eventually eat everything. We sometimes talk of leaving the island to find a little more physical security from the storms and mental security from our condo board but it is just too beautiful.

Property insurance is fairly insane out here on the edges.
Our major medical insurance doubled when we moved from Tennessee.
SAD should disappear.
Lotsa places consider a button on your shirt to be formal attire.

Jim
post #11 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 5:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I still have no intentions of leaving,
Florida isn't "the perfect" place to live, but I can't think of any place I'd rather be "right now"
And with that shock of grey hair you fit right in.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 6:56 am

Quote:
Hey there,

Brian
Southern Iowa, man! It's not even that far away. And our winters are over at least two or three days before yours. Think about it, Brian.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #13 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 7:22 am

I just left a couple years ago, but I was in S Fl., Dade County. I hated it but that's just me. I know many people love it. Got rid of the LT and got a Raodster (Honda S2k) because I found no joy fighting the traffic and riding flatlands on a bike- run out of places to go unless you have lots of time to travel where you can get out of that state. I traveled extensively for work throughout FL, GA, SC, Caribbean Islands, etc. My favorite places in FL (but I still would rather not live there) were the Tampa/ St Pete/ Clearwater area, Merritt Island/ Cocoa Beach area, or the panhandle. I never had SAD, but I had a different kind of SAD in FL. Two seasons both with hot in them don't work for me (wet and dry), although the dry (winter) season is pretty nice.

I agree with almost everything Neil Peart wrote about FL in his book, Roadshow.

Just my opinion. Not knocking anyone who lives there.
post #14 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Question for Florida residents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Now, some 25 years later the two girls are well adjusted with families and good jobs and my son is an orthopedic surgeon so I guess the trama of moving was miniminal.

Now that is good parenting Lynn!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 10:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm working on it

If you decide to make the move, I'll make one suggestion regarding moving your kids. After eleven moves in a thirty year corporate career, I am convinced the best way to do it, contrary to popular thought, is during the school year not during the summer break. We moved on Fridays and put the kids in the new school on Mondays, which accomplishes several things. First, they don't spend the summer with no friends at the new location. Second, they don't spend the summer sulking around the house complaining that they didn't want to move and thinking about how miserable they are. Third, they are the only new kids (versus at the beginning of the school year) so they get lots of attention and tend to make friends quickly.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2008, 7:10 pm

In 1998 we moved from New Hampshire to Austin, TX. We stayed there for two years, then moved to Denver, then two years later back to New Hampshire.

Texas was great, except for the summers. Being from the frozen north, we didn't do well in the heat, and the second summer didn't get any better. I pretty much parked the bike for the summer instead of the winter.

As much as I hate the long winters here, I would much rather deal with our winters than their summers.

As for Florida, never lived there, but have been there quite a few times. In the winter it is great, but the summer, once again, I don't do well in the heat.

This is just my opinion, don't mean to dis the south or Texas.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in