BMW COM, 70's style-has anyone used one? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 8:25 am Thread Starter

BMW COM, 70's style-has anyone used one?

I met a young man yesterday that used to ride pillion on his fathers old BMW, I think he said an R-75?, in the early 70's. He said they used to use a hose system connecting the two helmets to communicate. I never heard of that and wondered if anyone else had used one and can offer more info about it?

Yesterday, my companion and I had one of our best rides since we got the bike, riding for about four hours or so. The bike ran great, finally. I thought it was somewhat funny to just barely make out some fingers flinging around my helmet as she is trying to suggest a turn or need to stop.....all the while we have the blue tooth Cardo Q2.......and I keep having to mention that she USE it!

She did mention it was not voice activating from her end, and that she had tried everything she knew trying to get it to work and finally resorted back to using hand gestures, of which you can see very little trying to watch the road.

I was very hesitant to take a ride out to Patt Garret's Sheepskin shop
http://www.sickafus.com/
on I-78 in NE Pa (that road has been a nightmare).....but, the road has been resurfaced since our ride last year, and the ride was superb. 70mph+, 44 mpg two up with bags loaded, 65 degrees, the MP3 playing our favorite tunes.......simply a delightful days ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 8:47 am

Re: BMW COM, 70's style-has anyone used one?

Yes, my wife & I used one on our Honda CM400T in the early 80s. They had a little thing that looked like a small plastic spoon that went on the 'mic' end which captured voice surprisingly well. It also captured the occasional cross wind gusts surprisingly well. In those days, we used 3/4 helmets, had we used full face, the surprise blasts from wind might have been reduced significantly.

One of the things I really liked about it over the electronic intercoms is that there was no setting a VOX level. When one person spoke, you heard them immediately.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in