Cool Roads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 1:37 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Cool Roads

Now that Super Tuesday is behind us, let's see if we can find more interesting subjects to talk about. So my challenge is simple: Tell us about a favorite road that you've found on your travels. What is it about this particular road that made it stand out to you, that is, what makes it special? Also give enough of a description of where it is so that an interested rider maybe able to find it.

Post as many roads as you like, but let's try to keep one road per post.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 1:38 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Cool Roads

Highway 191 From Clifton, AZ to Alpine, AZ
96 miles, 4,582 foot elevation gain, countless curves and awesome scenery

This road used to be called AZ-666, probably because it's a hell of a ride. The southern end of this road passes you by the Morenci Copper Mine, which is the largest copper producer in North America. Then you begin climbing almost a mile vertically through some very technical 15-mph curves before leveling out in a beautiful alpine forest. It's a great way to wear the sides off your tires, but don't take this road if you're in a hurry.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 5:34 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Ok Ken I'll play
Hiway 23 in Arkansas From St. Paul to Eureka Springs. 49 miles long, You start with long 100 mph sweepers then climb into the mountains with tight 12 mph hair pin turns. Ending up in Eureka Springs
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-876D1y86

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 5:41 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

My next favorite is U128 in Utah from Cisco to Moab

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 6:19 am

Hwy 33 from Lacrosse WI to Hillsboro WI. Smooth, curvy, curvy and curvy.

Much of it is on ridgetops giving great views and the section that travels over Wildcat mountain is any curve lovers dream.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-PunOovxXHFU8Fzay

2006 R1200RT
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 6:29 am

In SE Minnesota there are alot of great roads along the Mississippi or in the hills nearby. BEEPER told about one of them. I haven't found any backroads in WI that aren't blacktop. Here in MN alot of the major back roads are blacktop, others gravel. Hwy 16 from Lanesboro, MN to LaCrescent, MN is a great one, especially between Lanesboro and Rushford.
Today it is snowing, so will have to ride our great roads another day.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 3:49 pm

A big +1 on route 191 - The Federal Highway Administration considers this drive to be the curviest road in the nation. There are nearly 450 switchbacks, (many marked at 10 mph) along the route. I would bet there are just as many subtle left to right sweepers as well.

I am SO fortunate to live only 120 miles from this delicious and beautiful piece of asphalt...

Stay at Hannigan Meadow Lodge on the way up,

http://www.hannaganmeadow.com/

then come down through New Mexico and stay here in Silver City:

www.bearmountainlodge.com

While in the area check out the catwalk:

http://www.oldwestcountry.com/tmpl1.php?CID=YQ3JG

Another little know place is the hot springs in Safford:

http://www.geocities.com/essenceoftranquility

...and for an absolute hoot take a one hour flight for $200 with Neil Bungard and stay overnight in a Vintage Airstream trailer in Rodeo:

http://skygypsies.com/

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 7th, 2008 at 4:10 pm.
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 4:35 pm

First off, this is already a great post.

I've ridden for 30+ years and I just found a road east of Yosimite like no other, it's Hwy 120 from Lee Vinning to Benton. Please don't confuse this with Hwy 120 that runs through Yosemite, which on it's own is one of the best scenic roads I've been on.

However, Hwy 120 from Lee Vinning to Benton is a 50 mile road that runs through a valley surrounded by mountains, the terrain is beautiful, but it's the road that grabs your attention. The best way to describe it is it's a roller coaster ride for motorcycles, it has many ups and downs, with what feels like 6 story drops (I could not stop giggling when I rode this for the first time). It's like the road builders decided not to flatten the road at all, if you are not careful you can catch air some 20 times. so be careful. Your suspension will be tested, so make sure it correct. I'll try to post photos or links when I'm not at work. It's the most fun you can have on a motorcycle legally.

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:25 pm.
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 5:02 pm

If you like deserted, then you'll like mine. Start in either Lewiston ID or Clarkston WA, they are across the Snake river from each other. Head south onWA. HWY 129 toward Asotin. Be prepared for a steep climb with multiple tight switchbacks, a long drop, & no guard rail. After Asotin is Anatone, then you drop into the Grande Rhonde valley, back up the other side ( each side is about 2000 foot change in elevation). 17 miles later the road turns to HWY 3 in Oregon. You will go thru the Wallowa-Whitman Nat. Forrest. You end up at Lake Wallowa. Well worth the drive to the end of the lake. Take the gondola ride up to the top of MT. Howard. You can see for miles & the view is wonderful. Limited fuel supply between Lewiston & Enterprise at Lake Wallowa. Total distance is about 100 miles. If you go in summer get an early start as the daytime temps hit triple digits. Most times we go we see more eagles & hawks waiting for lunch to move in the wheat fields than cars.
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I've ridden for 30+ years and I just found a road east of Yosimite like no other, it's Hwy 120 from Lee Vinning to Benton.
Yeah, that's a great one, too. It is possible to get both wheels up on an LT, but you gotta really want to do it. It's a bit easier on the GT, though.

Highway 58 from McKittrick, CA to Santa Margarita, CA
71 miles, smooth pavement and roller-coaster elevation changes

This highway crosses the central California mountains and plains from McKittrick to Santa Margarita. It starts with an inspiring climb on some flawless pavement that allows any bike to reach its full lean potential, then levels out near the Carrizo Plains and turns into a roller-coaster ribbon of joy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #11 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Highway 33 from Ojai, CA to Taft, CA
80 miles, mountain climb & descent followed by long, smooth, straight sections

This one is my favorite local road, which again climbs some local mountains before stretching out into a redline-testing straight section (anyone see a theme here?). Most of the bikes run the first 10-20 miles then turn around, but if your tank is full you owe it to yourself to run the full road. And once you hit Taft, Highway 58 is just a bit further on ahead . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Highway 149 from Hierro, CO to South Fork, CO via Lake City, CO
115 miles of prime Rocky Mountain twisties with no traffic.

Everybody knows the famous Million Dollar Highway in Colorado. It's also known as Highway 550 from Durango to Montrose, and passing through Paonia and Ouray along the way. Look for it on the left side of the map below. It's over 100 miles of gorgeous, if not well-traveled bliss.

But very few people know of Highway 149 which runs kind of parallel to 550. It's that purple route in the center of the map below. It starts in Hierro(A), just outside of Gunnison, and eventually ends at Highway 160 in South Fork(C). It's 115 miles of pristine twisties through the mountains, following streams and scenic vistas the entire way. And you will find no traffic on this road. Nada, as in NOBODY on it. And why should there be? It's basically a route to nowhere. The only town you'll pass through is Lake City(B), population 3, or some such nonsense. You will own this road.

It would make an insane day loop to do both 550 and 149 in one day. Although, I did them on separate days during a business trip to Denver from AZ with a stop over both ways in Durango. Yeah, life is rough.
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 2:39 am

THE LOOP -

THe SF Ba Area's ultimate ride IMHO. Highway 9 out of Saratoga for a bunch of twisties up to the 9/35 junction. Then down 9 to Boulder Creek for about 3 times as many twisties. Hang a right at the stop sign on 236, then on about 8 miles to Jameson Creek Rd. A left and up the Santa Cruz Mountains on a tight, twisty, and sometimes bumpy (but still fun) road to the top of the mountains on Empire Grade. Handg a left and blast your ass off on sweepers for 12-15 miles to Pine Flat Rd. A quick right, rip down through Bonny Doon, and on through more cornering fun out to Highway 1, the PCH. Up the coast through Davenport, around Swanton Rd (just because you can), back onto 1, and up to Gazos Creek just after the lighthouse. More tight twisties and then big, high speed sweepers to Pescadero Rd. A right onto that and more fun through the mountains and monster sequoias with lots of bends, then a tight sweeping right around and out to Highway 84.

For me Highway 84 from the Pescadero Rd junction to Alice's Restaurant at the top of the mountains is ABSOLUTELY MOTORCYCLING NIRVANA!!! 14 miles of the best turns weaved together that God, man, Satan, or a drunken highway worker could have every threaded together. Shit-eating grin type of riding, know what I mean??

At Alice's connect back with Skyline Dr. (Highway 35), hang a right and blast the 25 miles back to 9. Rip a left and drop back down the mountain into Saratoga. Then find a place to stop, pop off your helmet, smile and reflect on a perfect ride.

It is as it was intended.... exquisite.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #14 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2008, 10:22 am

What you forgot to mention it that at the intersection of Hwy 35 & 84 (Alice's Restaurant) you can typically find about 100 cyclist there at given time and 1000's of motorcycles on any given weekend.

It is motorcycling nirvana!

Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in