Hexayurt Project - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hexayurt Project

Interesting link
http://hexayurt.com/

looks like this would make a decent "portable" tent for guys-n-gals who trailer.

Or build it then plaster both sides....

I found the link on the Airstream Newsletter post... I have read a few things about "burning man" and I don't think I'll ever attend...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 1:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Hexayurt Project

Interesting. Some of my reenactment friends build Mongolian-style yurts and live in them for a week at a time at historical camping events. They're a bit bulky to pack, but hold up well and are quite comfortable.

But yeah, I don't think Burning Man is quite up your alley.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 1:35 pm
BMW Guru

Uh why do we need this??

You can buy a bigger more comfortable tent at Costco for $200 bucks that is a lot easier to set up and is MUCH smaller to haul around...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Last edited by Ted Shred; Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:42 pm.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 1:42 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Interesting. Some of my reenactment friends build Mongolian-style yurts and live in them for a week at a time at historical camping events. They're a bit bulky to pack, but hold up well and are quite comfortable.

But yeah, I don't think Burning Man is quite up your alley.
Thanks, Ken....
I had seen similar designs from around the globe.. I've even thought of trying this... just didn't have the $ to chunk at it.

I also noticed a globe near the building. Turns out it is a "high speed" sat bidirectional antenna!!!

That is cool because I have friends who live in "under-improved" areas that would benefit... especially the portability!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 1:46 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Uh why do we need this??

You can buy a bigger more comfortable tent at Costco for $200 bucks that is a lot easier to set up and is MUCH small to haul around...
Hey, Ted..
I just found this to be interesting... I know it won't fit all "motorcycling" needs...but split the pieces between a couple of bike and trailers and you might be able to haul it around.

there is a place not too far away in Texas that I'm going to check out who does this "construction".

I think it would be great for a "low impact" solution for temporary / extended need out near places like Big Bend.... or use for housing lots of folks such as the Katrina Experiment.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Hey, Ted..
I just found this to be interesting... I know it won't fit all "motorcycling" needs...but split the pieces between a couple of bike and trailers and you might be able to haul it around.

there is a place not too far away in Texas that I'm going to check out who does this "construction".

I think it would be great for a "low impact" solution for temporary / extended need out near places like Big Bend.... or use for housing lots of folks such as the Katrina Experiment.
Bro Phil down in Gawja had one or two of these brought in for construction on his campground in NC - pretty efficient if you outfit it for it's intended use. I 'think' he had most of the inside amenities for camping, butt for the daily wash job, one had to use the campground's communal facilities - somethang about the EPA and their graywater mandates.

Anyway - it wuz an easy haul in and set up, even on sloped terrain; and an easy removal and haul away when he decided to convert the campground to more modern and permanent development status.
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Uh why do we need this??

You can buy a bigger more comfortable tent at Costco for $200 bucks that is a lot easier to set up and is MUCH smaller to haul around...
Because this is an insulated, rigid structure. Ever sleep in a tent in a wind storm? I can tell you from experience that you don't get a very good night's sleep. Last camping trip I was on, one family's tent in our group blew away, with them in it! And tents turn into ovens as soon as the sun comes up. This thing supposedly stays cool much further into the day, and warmer further into the night. So this thing is more like a temporary living structure than a tent, which is basically an overnight shelter. It's a neat idea, but you'd need a pretty good size vehicle to haul it around.

Cheers,
-joel
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Hi folks (Vinay from the Hexayurt Project)

Hi folks,

I saw the traffic coming into the site from the forum and thought I'd stop in to say hi and answer any questions. Looks like you folks have a pretty firm grip on things :-)

Couple of things you might find useful.

http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_materials discusses using materials other than the insulation boards including corrugated plastic (thin, light) and plywood (cheap, durable.) If you're handy, the plywood hexayurt has a lot of potential for cheap, occasional use buildings akin to mountain huts. Might be worthwhile for events where you've got a lot of people coming to a location, like motorcycle rallies or something (I'd say Sturgis but isn't that the other folks?)

The other thing is that the folding hexayurt might be the way to go for camping use like you envisage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1GjymP3MUc (that's the German army helping out at Operation Combined Endeavor, a US DoD sponsored communications festival in Germany. Lovely chaps, very good engineering!)

This one, for example, is 8' from corner to corner, 6' high in the center, and 7' wide. The biggest component is 2' x 4', which is a fairly packable size. You could do the entire wall as a single piece that size, and the roof as a single piece half that size (diagonal cut) and using some thin material like corrugated plastic with velcro.

I'm still not sure that's a motorcycle touring system but if you're hauling a small trailer, it would be fairly light, and I think the shelter would be pretty high quality even in fairly light materials particularly if you looked at laminating something reflective on the outside of the panels (mylar? aluminium foil?)

If anybody wants to take a crack at a project like that, I'm usually around to answer questions, though not always - [email protected], or join the mailing list (there's a sign up box on the main web site, http://hexayurt.com .)

Any questions I can answer? Anything I can do for you?

Vinay
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:53 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Hi folks (Vinay from the Hexayurt Project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexayurt
Hi folks,

I saw the traffic coming into the site from the forum and thought I'd stop in to say hi and answer any questions. Looks like you folks have a pretty firm grip on things :-)

Couple of things you might find useful.

http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_materials discusses using materials other than the insulation boards including corrugated plastic (thin, light) and plywood (cheap, durable.) If you're handy, the plywood hexayurt has a lot of potential for cheap, occasional use buildings akin to mountain huts. Might be worthwhile for events where you've got a lot of people coming to a location, like motorcycle rallies or something (I'd say Sturgis but isn't that the other folks?)

The other thing is that the folding hexayurt might be the way to go for camping use like you envisage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1GjymP3MUc (that's the German army helping out at Operation Combined Endeavor, a US DoD sponsored communications festival in Germany. Lovely chaps, very good engineering!)

This one, for example, is 8' from corner to corner, 6' high in the center, and 7' wide. The biggest component is 2' x 4', which is a fairly packable size. You could do the entire wall as a single piece that size, and the roof as a single piece half that size (diagonal cut) and using some thin material like corrugated plastic with velcro.

I'm still not sure that's a motorcycle touring system but if you're hauling a small trailer, it would be fairly light, and I think the shelter would be pretty high quality even in fairly light materials particularly if you looked at laminating something reflective on the outside of the panels (mylar? aluminium foil?)

If anybody wants to take a crack at a project like that, I'm usually around to answer questions, though not always - [email protected], or join the mailing list (there's a sign up box on the main web site, http://hexayurt.com .)

Any questions I can answer? Anything I can do for you?

Vinay

Reykjavik eh?? I sold one of my bikes to a guy there named Bjorn. Probably the only LT in Iceland If you see him, tell him I said "Hey" LOL

Welcome to the forum.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 10 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:54 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Because this is an insulated, rigid structure. Ever sleep in a tent in a wind storm? I can tell you from experience that you don't get a very good night's sleep. Last camping trip I was on, one family's tent in our group blew away, with them in it! And tents turn into ovens as soon as the sun comes up. This thing supposedly stays cool much further into the day, and warmer further into the night. So this thing is more like a temporary living structure than a tent, which is basically an overnight shelter. It's a neat idea, but you'd need a pretty good size vehicle to haul it around.

Cheers,
-joel

I do have an F250, should be able to carry a few panels You're right about the heat in a tent. Soon as the sun comes up it's too damn hot to sleep in there.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in