Does this happen to you??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Does this happen to you???

It seems like every time I tell someone that I've got a bike, they (non bikers) start telling me stories of wrecks and gore they've seen. I can't understand their rationale. It happens with perfect stangers so I know they don't give a damn personally about me. This doesn't happen when I get a new 'cage'. Anybody else find this to be common place? Maybe I should try some 'one-upsmanship' with them and carry along some wallet sized pictures of aborted fetuses!!! "Say, Pal. That sounded pretty bad. Hey... looky at what I got here."

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
"Hukt on Fonix rilly werkt fer mee."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:16 am

Re: Does this happen to you???

My bucket list has one less item on it. Thanks to my LT.. thank you very much. If any of them has a bucket list... I'm sure there is at least a few things on it that involves risk. Or, they can go about life in their lazyboy recliner and watch life happen around them... their choice.

When someone feeds me their opinion about motorcycle crashes, risks and injury, I acknowledge the risk, cuz it's true! I quickly follow up with what measures I take to minimize my risk, i.e., ATGATT, I wear bright clothing, HID lights (high beams on), phased BRIGHT LED Brake lights on REAR., MUTH signal indicators, 130dB horn, and remind them how I appreciate them being cautious around bikes as I never trust drivers see me....

Carpe Diem! RIDE ON!

Asleepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:17 am

Uh.....wow, pretty intense. I think all motorcyclist get that response from some people. I just accept it as part of the territory with being a motorcyclist. But as gas prices go up, (not at the moment it seems) more people are looking at bikes as a viable form of daily transportation. I don't know if it will ever really be as mainstream as cars, but with new designs and different market demands and trends, you never now what might be the next big thing.

I like to think of my LT as a two wheeled convertible car, since it has more features than my first few cars. When I don't want the weight of all that luxury, I ride the sportbike.

If I listened to all of the bad in everything I participate in, I would probably never leave my home. Now that would suck...

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:42 am

I just let them know that more people die in car accidents every year, therefore motorcycles are inherently more safe.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:44 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Yes it happens to me as well, I think it happens to everyone of us crazy motorcycle riders!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Maybe I was a little intense when I started this, but someone just finally got to me this morning. It appears that being told of accidents is as inevitable as death and taxes. Yes... it does come with the territory. But... I have now become more aggressive and question their motives. And yes I do wear appropriate gear when riding. It's the "Beemer Way".

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:34 am

As someone once said, "Everyone dies; Not everyone really lives..."
Bottom line for me is, if you fail to do the things in life that make you feel alive and happy and fulfilled, you are somehow missing the point. We that ride motorcycles know that, perhaps, better than most. Those that only fear motorcycles will never understand what the attraction is for us.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:41 am

I usually look them dead in the eye and say "It's ok, I made a pact with the Devil, and in exchange for my soul when I turn 75, I'm guaranteed not to have any motorcycle crashes."

Puts an end to that crap right away.
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:49 am

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

When people find out that I've been a full time FAA Certified Commercial Balloon Pilot for the past 26 years the first reaction I get it is: "Gee, that must be FUN but really dangerous!"

I then tell them that its a freakin' job just like anyone else has, and that when I get done flying that last thing I think about is balloons.

They then proceed to tell me how their friend, aunt, whatever died/ almost died in a balloon accident. I then tell them that in over 6000 hours of Pilot in Command time and flying passengers I've never even had a broken fingernail.

Then when I tell them I would rather be riding my motorcycle they ALL have stories of gore and catastrophe and how their friend, aunt, whatever died/almost died in a motorcycle accident. I tell them that I've riding motorcycles since I was 13 and don't have any scars.

I then tell them what I don't want engraved on my head stone:

Gee, I wish I spent more time at the office.

They usually laugh, stare at their feet, and let out a big sigh while wondering if I am officially nutz.

At this point I realize that they have absolutely no life, live vicariously through others, and will die in a nursing home, sucking their dinner through straws - surrounded by other kindred souls that are thinking in unison "woulda, shoulda, coulda".

The discussion usually ends right there with a few more laughs and me telling them to **** off and die and - oh yeah - have a nice day.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 29th, 2008 at 11:00 am.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:10 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Ok Ron this is going to get me in trouble, but now I understand all the hot air. I could not resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I know EXACTLY how you feel.

When people find out that I've been a full time FAA Certified Commercial Balloon Pilot for the past 26 years the first reaction I get it is: "Gee, that must be FUN but really dangerous!"

I then tell them that its a freakin' job just like anyone else has, and that when I get done flying that last thing I think about is balloons.

They then proceed to tell me how their friend, aunt, whatever died/ almost died in a balloon accident. I then tell them that in over 6000 hours of Pilot in Command time and flying passengers I've never even had a broken fingernail.

Then when I tell them I would rather be riding my motorcycle they ALL have stories of gore and catastrophe and how their friend, aunt, whatever died/almost died in a motorcycle accident. I tell them that I've riding motorcycles since I was 13 and don't have any scars.

I then tell them what I don't want engraved on my head stone:

Gee, I wish I spent more time at the office.

They usually laugh, stare at their feet, and let out a big sigh while wondering if I am officially nutz.

At this point I realize that they have absolutely no life, live vicariously through others, and will die in a nursing home, sucking their dinner through straws - surrounded by other kindred souls that are thinking in unison "woulda, shoulda, coulda".

The discussion usually ends right there with a few more laughs and me telling them to **** off and die and - oh yeah - have a nice day.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The sigh is more probably them wishing they had the brass to do those things themselves.
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:50 am

Everything in life has it's risks... You could be hit by a bus...

This really set in when we had our recent mishap...Could have easily been killed..

But here I am. Alive and well and still riding...

Wear your gear, You'll be ok unless you come across the unsurvivable wreck...

Then no matter how much gear you're wearing, You won't feel a thing...

You'll just be gone...And for sure then there's "No Worries".

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #13 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Ok Ron this is going to get me in trouble, but now I understand all the hot air. I could not resist.
Yep, I have a Federal license to dispense it in large volume!

www.balloonridesusa.com

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:57 pm

This happens a lot less in Europe and Asia where more people are on Scooters and Motorcycles due to expensive gas and parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubLNawt
It seems like every time I tell someone that I've got a bike, they (non bikers) start telling me stories of wrecks and gore they've seen. I can't understand their rationale. It happens with perfect stangers so I know they don't give a damn personally about me. This doesn't happen when I get a new 'cage'. Anybody else find this to be common place? Maybe I should try some 'one-upsmanship' with them and carry along some wallet sized pictures of aborted fetuses!!! "Say, Pal. That sounded pretty bad. Hey... looky at what I got here."

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:30 am

I have had this happen a lot also. Like ya'll, there are so many things to say to the folks. Nothing is going to make any scence to them if they do not ride.

We were at a KOA campground one year and surrounded by RV's and we were the only bike in the place. We had lots of floks walking by to see us set up and some invited us to enjoy a meal with them. As the talk came to "I knew this guy..." talk I got tired of the blood and gore of the poor biker and then said that I knew this guy who had an RV and went all over the place with it. One night at a campground...BOOM!!!!! IT seems that he had a small leak on the propane tank it it blew him to tiny pieces. I can't believe how dangerous those RV's are. You would NEVER catch me in one of those things. We can usually talk about local siteseeing after that.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:59 am Thread Starter

I like ibbones thought on the propane blowing up. I'll have to use that one next time. We do have an RV and it wasn't used this year primarily due to diesel prices... but then we bought a used 2006 K1200LT and a trailer which we recently used on a 2 week vacation trip. Thinking back, I could have bought a heck of a lot of diesel for what the bike, trailer and insurance cost. But then the enjoyment factor with the RV would be a lot less. Our time spent on bikes has always been, at least for me, much more memorable. ATGATT is always a part of it. The wife's perch on the LT is comfy and she'll sleep back there. No complaints.
As I think I said earlier, I like to try and get people to explain why they are telling these stories and maybe get them to understand it's not one of their better traits.
Oh, a few years back, we did see a motorhome near our home on I-30 close to Beltline Rd. which had been hit in the rear by an 18 wheeler. There was plywood and thin paneling splintered all over the place. The things are a 'cracker box' on top of a steel frame. I guess I could use that as 'ammo' too along with the propane if psycho analysis fails.

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:30 am

Yup, all the time. The only fun thing is the looks on their faces after I roll into the parking spot and I take off the helmet and they see the bald head and gray beard. When they want to talk about the blood and gore, I just look 'em right in the eye and agree. I ask them if they ever saw the Ultimate Gesture of Defiance poster.

Defying Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in