Doing our part to stimulate the economy! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:13 pm Thread Starter
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Doing our part to stimulate the economy!

We are not happy about it at all but we are replacing all the window and sliding doors in our 7 year old house The doors and windows have been drafty and some have leaked from day one. We went thought the run around of multiple visits and repairs from the builder / supplier. In addition several repair attempts from the window company factory repair for well over a year. We got tired of the run around, builder supplier saying it is the windows and the window manufacturer saying it is and installation issue. The end result is they win and we lose.

Norco window suck!!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Doing our part to stimulate the economy!

Dag! Our Andersen's still look and work like the day we put them in over 8 years ago.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Dag! Our Andersen's still look and work like the day we put them in over 8 years ago.
That is what we are getting this time!

400 series.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Joe are yours replacements or are new construction?

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Joe are yours replacements or are new construction?
We built our home in 2000.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
We built our home in 2000.

We built in 2001. We knew the windows were shit , but the credit the builder would give us was minimal and the up-charge for Anderson was three times what we are paying now.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:36 pm

We installed plenty of windows when I was a building contractor. I couldn't say enough good things about Anderson. The very few and I mean very few Anderson's that we installed that did have a problem were quickly resolved by Anderson. It's what I installed in my own home.
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Our house was built with Simonton windows in '95. No leaks, no drafts, no problems. From what I hear Andersen is tops. An install rep from Home Depot told me Simonton's are good. He stopped trying to sell me windows after that.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 6:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
We installed plenty of windows when I was a building contractor. I couldn't say enough good things about Anderson. The very few and I mean very few Anderson's that we installed that did have a problem were quickly resolved by Anderson. It's what I installed in my own home.
Nick thanks for the feedback. I have not heard one negative thing about Anderson window. I also heard there customer service is top notch.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 6:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Our house was built with Simonton windows in '95. No leaks, no drafts, no problems. From what I hear Andersen is tops. An install rep from Home Depot told me Simonton's are good. He stopped trying to sell me windows after that.
Lee I wish I could say the same things about our current window but I can not
We just can not understand why a builder would use such an inferior product.
It is crazy to have to replace window after 7 years! Everyone of the companies we had come out to measure and give a quote said the same thing, Norco windows are junk.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 6:30 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

We have Anderson on our sun room 6 windows total. They work great really cut the heat out in summer and cold in winter. Sammie likes the "tilt in" feature for easy cleaning. On the rest of the house we have Home Depots double lifetime warranty window. EVERYTHING even the screens have a FREE replacement (parts and labor) for as long as we own the house. The warranty can be transfered to one New owner if we ever sell. BUT they are not cheap. We only have 4 window in the house (not counting sun room that was added on last year) and we spent around $3800.00 to have the 4 windows installed.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 6:42 am

Quote:
Lee I wish I could say the same things about our current window but I can not
We just can not understand why a builder would use such an inferior product.
It is crazy to have to replace window after 7 years! Everyone of the companies we had come out to measure and give a quote said the same thing, Norco windows are junk.
GG,
unfortunately unless your home was custom built, at the time when your home was built most items in a new home had a 7-8 year life expectancy. Built cheap & priced high. Reason I know this was that my ex was in the home building market during that time and I saw the shoddy materials being used. She was in the flooring and kitchen cabinet areas. Don't know if this is still true today or not.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 7:01 am

I just finished replacing all of the windows im my house, all 18 of them. I used new construction so I could correct any problems from the original installation. It was more work but was worth it. I used Pella windows with low-e glass and argon filled, they have made a tremendous difference in heat loss and air conditioner only runs half as much. Wife also likes the "tilt-in" feature for easy cleaning. Also if you do them your self use the door and window foam to fill the gaps in the rough opening as it does a better than regular insulation.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:08 am

Quote:
We are not happy about it at all but we are replacing all the window and sliding doors ....!
This is gonna be an interesting thread. We have been wanting to replace the windows in our house that was built in......1964. Yep, original windows. We cannot replace them all at once but have been looking at them for a couple years. I liked the Pella with the low-E glass and the tilt out also. Looking for something that will help with the cooling bills but also let in light.

Taking notes....

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:54 am

I had a house built in shelby twp, MI in 1993. Very good quality build on the house itself and a super nice place/layout.

However, there were 45 window panes in that place and the windows did the same, started fallling apart just a few years later. Same issue when building the home, on the andersons as you mentioned, the upgrade when buying the home was rediculous (price wise).

So I started buying pella's and did the installs myself. The pella guy said I should be a pella salesman, I liked em that much. I only got about 12 windows completed prior to selling the home due to job transfers to the SW, did the worst ones first.

Got the triple panes, loaded with all features, with the inside blinds.

I like them much better than andersons, I had a little quality problem with those (I think their quality has gone down over the last couple decades).

expensive, oh yeah, I was looking at an avg cost of about 800 bucks/pane, about 40-50K just to buy the windows.

However, if you have them installed, that cost was twice as much as the windows cost. materials for each window install was about 10 bucks or so (foam insulate, etc).
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
This is gonna be an interesting thread. We have been wanting to replace the windows in our house that was built in......1964. Yep, original windows. We cannot replace them all at once but have been looking at them for a couple years. I liked the Pella with the low-E glass and the tilt out also. Looking for something that will help with the cooling bills but also let in light.

Taking notes....

Bones, I know what you mean. I, too couldn't afford to do them all at once so I did the worst ones first. Took me about two years to finish, didn't work on them in the winter, to darn cold. It helps if your windows are stock sizes, but if your house isn't brick it is not to hard to adjust the rough opening . In my house I had 2 rooms with 2 small windows side by side those I ordered a special window for, reframed the opening and installed, window has fixed center pane and a slider on each end. This was cheaper than replacing both windows even though it was a special order. So take your time and think it through. I saved a bundle doing the work myself.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #17 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:07 am

Quote:

Taking notes....
wow do windows make a difference in heating and cooling bills, I would had never guessed it was so much of a difference. (our house in FL was built in '58 all block )

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:

Taking notes....
I would not go with Pella. We wanted to get some estimates but the two companies that are Pella dealers stated they are not quoting or installing them for now because there are law suites going on regarding them (Pella).

I am not sure what the lawsuit are regarding.

For what it is worth.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

Last edited by gglove; Oct 29th, 2008 at 4:10 pm.
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:37 am

Wow, great replies. Yes, I am going to do one or two at a time. I do not borrow money and cannot pay for it all at once. We have a brick house so the windows and standard size by the "back then" size but the new homes have windows that go all the way to the floor. I have a list at Lowes for what I need and have talked to the guy about doing it over time. Lots of other people do the same.
I am not too worried about doing something in the dead of winter as I usually have to mow the yard for Christmas to make things pretty. One window now and another later and keep going.

I will check on the different brands of windows and have not decided on any certain one but I know I want the low-E glass

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:44 am

Quote:
Wow, great replies. Yes, I am going to do one or two at a time. I do not borrow money and cannot pay for it all at once. We have a brick house so the windows and standard size by the "back then" size but the new homes have windows that go all the way to the floor. I have a list at Lowes for what I need and have talked to the guy about doing it over time. Lots of other people do the same.
I am not too worried about doing something in the dead of winter as I usually have to mow the yard for Christmas to make things pretty. One window now and another later and keep going.

I will check on the different brands of windows and have not decided on any certain one but I know I want the low-E glass
One thing I might suggest, Anderson makes a Perma-shield exterior casing. This is a piece of vinyl laminated plywood that can be ripped to size to replace the brick molding that I presume you have on the exterior now. It makes for a really nice carefree finish on the outside.
I also agree with poster about Pella windows.....their customer service left a lot to be desired.
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
wow do windows make a difference in heating and cooling bills, I would had never guessed it was so much of a difference. (our house in FL was built in '58 all block )
In warm weather climates, properly installed windows typically account for 35%-40% of the heat gain in a house.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #22 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
In warm weather climates, properly installed windows typically account for 35%-40% of the heat gain in a house.
so in the summer just take out the windows and there will be 35-40% less heat?

(big grin)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in