What are my rights? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

What are my rights?

A week ago I bought a used car, 2006 Buick Lucerne, from a Buick dealer. The dealer is in Illinois and I am in Wisconsin. I have since found that it may have been in a minor accident after taking it to my dealer for some tire work.
I specifically asked the dealer if the car had any body work done, and they said no. The car was dealer certified and nothing was mentioned on the checklist that the dealer did when it was checked over. I looked at the carfax and no indication of body work was done.

Any legal minds out there have any suggestions? I will contact an attorney, but want to know if anyone has had a similar experience and what to expect.
I assume the dealer will fight this tooth and nail. Thanks.

Nordo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Re: What are my rights?

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice, but since you are asking.......first, make sure that your newly-acquired vehicle was in an accident. Then I would go to the dealer (probably the dealer principle) to see what they have to say once you have proven that indeed there was some body damage. Have YOUR dealer verify this and be willing to back it up in writing.

If you do not get a favorable reply, I would go to CarFax and see what they say, then go to the BBB and file a report.

Attornies just eat your money and they aren't worth their weight in gold!

I think as a last resort and after you have exhausted your freebies, then call the sharks! And no, I didn't sleep at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

One last bit of my .02, you should have bought the car in your own back yard!

I hope you find some resolve to your situation, really.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Brett,

Thanks for your reply.. good advice.

I did try and do business in my own back yard, but could not find exactly what I wanted. I was a bit apprehensive about getting a car 5 hours away, but it was from a GM dealer, which seemed to be run well and the car was certified.
I called them tonight, left a message with the salesperson who took care of me. He seemed to be a straight up guy. He was an older gentleman, retired from owning 2 small GM dealerships years ago and did sales to keep busy in retirement. I may have been totally snowed on this one.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:20 pm

First, I spent $3500 in one year for repairs on a Toyota Previa by a local dealer. The repairs were terrible, one problem after another. Their warranty was not worth the paper it was printed on. After two weeks leaving it there to fix the $1200 brake repair, they left a note and said not to bring it back. I should have taken them to court. Instead, I was pissed and traded it for the next headache. It later turned out my complaints to the Toyota owner went no where, as he was out for months from a heart by pass surgery. So,

I got burned on an out of State purchase, trading the Previa, as it was THE only vehicle of its kind I could locate and really wanted. I went after the dealer for seven months.....can not begin to express the STRESS I went through trying to hold him responsible for all the problem he guaranteed it would not have. Did not even pass State inspection. The van was in more than three garages for nearly three months. $4k later in repairs, all is well. BUT, the dealer basically said tough luck buddy and said "try and get it", offered $300 after repeated calls from AMEX Corp Offices rep, and NOT ONE agency within his selling region cared.

He stated I had not paid the sales tax, filed improper tax paperwork in two States, the list goes on and on. He even mentioned he got away with this with no less than fifty out of State purchases, and to just try and do something about it. I was furious.

No one from any State of Federal Agency did a damn thing. NOTHING!

So, if it is no big deal, either live with it or get another car.

If you can prove it, can afford a liar, take the guy to court. Anyway you cut it, you lose.

Otherwise, save the stress, money and move on. Many told me the same, I did not listen and I had to do what I felt was right. In the end, it cost me way more than it was worth to do so, but sometimes that's just the way it is.

I could not have lived with myself had I not at least tried. It took me four years to pay for that mistake.
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

yechave..

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry things turned out so badly for you.

My gut tells me that I would be pissing in the wind, trying to get satisfaction from this dealer if he says its not his problem. I will contact them tomorrow and see if they will do the right thing.

What is wrong with the car is that 3 of the 4 rims are slightly bent, and it had possibly been in a fender bender on the R rear quarter panel. (My local GM dealer verified it) The only way I found that out was the trunk bed had a small ripple in it. It had been nicely repaired, but when I asked the dealer that sold it to me if any body work had been done they said no.
The car rides quite well, even with the slightly bent rims, but they need to be replaced. Cost will be $650 each!! And most likely new tires at $180 a piece!!

Live and learn, I guess..
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:22 pm

If it is of any help, AMEX did provide an additional $300 in my case, as they sided with my dispute but could not legally do more. If you used a credit card, see if they would offer to assist in the mediation, if not, possibly they have some type of buyer protection.
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 1:45 am

If the dealer won't work with you, take your complaint to the next level within GM. I can'r recall the exact title of the office but it is something like a regional or district office. GM can put pressure on the dealer but not much more if he is an independant.
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 6:23 am

Nordo,
I can tell you from experience that the Illinois Lemon Law is totally toothless. I was told this by the Attorney General when I tried to get them to provide some help. Illinois does not protect the individual, it is run by crooked politicians, greedy corporations and Union big wigs. If you are dealing with the GM dealers in Rockford you are screwed. They have one of the worst service reps that I know of in this area.

Not good news but reality.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 1:29 pm

Federal law requires disclosure of any damage the vehicle has had IF its more than 25% of the current value of the vehicle.... Anything less they can legally dummy up...............Pete
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses..

The original salesman called me back today and was apologetic, and said the dealership had a policy of buying back or correcting problems at their expense. He stressed that they guarded their reputation and would do me right. Well, I am skeptical. The general manager was off today and the salesman forwarded my information to him and the business manager. I will talk to them tomorrow.

Today, I took the car to a local independent body shop that I have done a fair amount of business. I know the owner well, they do excellent work and are trustworthy. They confirmed it had been in an accident. The good news was that they said who ever did the work did a great job. I now have 2 references that this was in an accident. They did say the damage looked minor and the car was in great condition. I was relieved, but am still going to see what kind of satisfaction the GM dealer will provide.

So far I have spent $200 for an 4 wheel alignment, brake check and repair of wheel rim due to it being bent. Three of the rims need to be replaced.

I will let you know what happens..

Thanks again for the advice and responses...

Nordo
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 8th, 2008, 7:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

My suggestion is to be clear about what it is that you want out of this to be satisfied. Maybe it's just some new rims and repayment of your $200. That way when they do call back, you can be direct with them and hope for the best.

Also be clear about how far you're willing to push things if they don't follow through.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Talked to the general sales manager yesterday, he was a prick.

He gave me $300, and disavowed any knowledge of any accident even though the auto was "thoroughly" inspected and certified by GM Tech.
Yeah right. We exchanged some lively words, and will not put any more effort into getting anymore out of him.

I love the car, and got it at a very good price. Just wish he would have been more upfront about the fender bender. My body shop said who ever repaired it did a nice job..so I can live with it.

So, in the end I will have to ante up for some new rims $600 bucks. So ultimatelt I am out $500 total.
Tuition for stupid school, I guess...HA.

Nordo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in