Broken ribs? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Broken ribs?

Anybody ever break any ribs? I had an unscheduled get-off from the bike last week, and took a hit to my side. I've had a stabbing pain in my side since, which is seriously limiting my mobility. Bed time is the worst. The first couple of nights, I literally could not do it alone. Even now, it's very painful to get in and out of bed. I figure I either bruised or cracked a rib or two.

I haven't been to the doctor yet. It's my understanding that there's nothing that doctors do for broken ribs anyway. Emergency room visits are a pain, and I don't want to visit one if there's nothing to be gained. I'm afraid they're going to contort me into painful positions for X rays and confirm the inevitable -- that I have broken ribs, and there's nothing they can do.

So, what's your opinion? Go to the emergency room, another doctor, or just stay home and take it easy?

thanks,
-joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:08 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Joel:

Glad you survived the accident. Sorry to hear about the get off.

I'd go check it out. You might have more damage that you are aware of. Ruptured spleen is very possible with broken ribs etc.

Just last week I was thinking you and several of the old timers have not posted anything in a long while.

How are the twins?

Heal quickly please.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:13 am

Joel,
Go get the x-rays (I dislike hospital visits as much as the next guy). My experience was painful for quite some time and you're right, there isn't much that can be done other than a girdle type thing that keeps everything from kinda moving around. It's better to have it checked out than have something come up later. Those ribs are awful close to some very important parts, so make sure you didn't break a frame tab.

Jack Howdeshell
Raiford/Mayo, FL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Raffy. My wife was worried about possible internal organ damage too. My reaction was that I'd know if I had organ damage (pee blood, or whatever), although now that you've said it too, maybe there's something to it.

The twins are great, and take up a lot of my free time now, which is part of the reason that I don't find much time to visit the forum these days. We're still planning on moving back to CA in a couple years, and miss all you guys.

-joel
post #5 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:15 am

Hi Joel,
Had a severe accident on the way to BMW National two years ago and had three broken, one cracked and torn cartiledge. Go to the ER, they will take only a flat plate Xray, but get the Doc to check out your internals. Your're worth more than the bike, so spend the time and money and get yourself checked out. It was recommended that I sleep in a recliner if possible (it was, and I slept and got up better for 6, yeah 6 weeks). If they are broken, you will be functional in 6 weeks, but mine still hurt a year and half later. I have spoken with guys that broke them 20 years ago and they still hurt. It is reminder to be careful out there!! Heal fast....Best, Bob

Bob
post #6 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:27 am

see a doc. it's a small price to pay for making sure you are okay. broken ribs can puncture lungs.
post #7 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks Jack, Bob, and Gerhard. When such a distinguished group of riders tells me to go see a doctor, I think I better heed the advice.

Thanks again,
-joel
post #8 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowdy
make sure you didn't break a frame tab.
ouch! ouch! ouch!!!!

Yer killing me!
post #9 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:02 am

I broke a few ribs in a spill in September, also my clavicle. No treatment is given, just grin and bear it I was told. Ribs were fine after 6 weeks (top 1 and 2 behind the collar bone) Collar bone is still fecked after nearly 4 months and not likely to heal by itself, so looking at an operation in the near future. Thank goodness for the UK/European free health service, sounds like you guys need to pay for every visit??

Malki

02 K1200LT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mothership
12 Countries and counting

BKS1 - RWP
post #10 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:21 am

Bummer Joel!

Well, having been the recepient of WAY too many broken ribs, 5 in one accident, 4 in another, I would at least get X-rayed. As others have said, it is VERY easy for a broken rib to nick a lung, or if the hit was in the right place spleen damage could be very threatening. That is the reason I stayed in the Phoenix ICU for two days, spleen damage. They took blood samples so often I felt like the proverbial pin cushion.

Doctor said the spleen is like a ripe watermelon, and can easily split when you hit something, and can be life threatening if not monitored and any needed actions taken quickly. Fortunately, mine healed without any intervention, but they watched me like a hawk.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
I broke a few ribs in a spill in September, also my clavicle. No treatment is given, just grin and bear it I was told. Ribs were fine after 6 weeks (top 1 and 2 behind the collar bone) Collar bone is still fecked after nearly 4 months and not likely to heal by itself, so looking at an operation in the near future. Thank goodness for the UK/European free health service, sounds like you guys need to pay for every visit??
Sorry to hear about your spill as well.

Most folks in the USA have health insurance, generally supplied by their employers. That generally pays for most things, with a small annual deductable, and possibly a small co-pay on each visit. If you don't have health insurance job benefits like this, then generally you'd buy your own health insurance. With the price of medical care in this country, going without insurance can send you to the poor house if you need any substantial care.
post #12 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:53 am

Broken ribs

Sorry to hear about your mishap.
I broke 2 ribs during a Judo tournament in Detroit when I was 26.
Laying flat was extremely painful as was coughing or laughing.
A tight wrap around the chest is about all they can do for you.
I'm 55 now and there are still nights that I can't sleep on my right side.
This is not something that goes away quickly.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks, David. I've certainly thought about you and Don as I haul my sore carcass out of bed in the morning. When something like this happens, it's only sheer luck whether you walk away, or are carried off on a stretcher. I am very fortunate.

This is the second accident I've had right in my neighborhood, and the only two accidents I've had on my LT in 98K miles. We're on a mountain, and there are some crazy twisty little roads with reverse banked turns. The roads are inviting, but treacherous. The first accident was caused by a diesel spill. The spill was so long, that it just looked like a stripe in the road. I didn't pay any attention to it, until the rear of my bike passed me. This accident occured almost the same way. I'm cruising through a tight turn, when the bike slipped out as if it were on ice. I hit the ground, and the bike hit the ground, then bounced back up and onto the other side before stopping.

This accident was also caused by a liquid on the road -- however, it was put there intentionally. There were stripes of some kind of liquid on the road that I noticed only after I crashed. It turns out that the town sprays some kind of liquid on the road the day before snow is expected. And snow was expected for the next day. The stuff was so slippery, that after I got back on my bike to ride home, the rear tire actually spun on it as I slowly released the clutch. I had no idea what the stuff in the road was until my neighbor, the town judge, explained it to me. Kinda torques me off, I'll tell ya.

Anyway, it's all very discouraging. And it's such a wake up call that no matter how experienced a rider you are, there are always hazards that are beyond your control. And now, having a wife and young kids who depend on me makes me feel guilty for taking risks. I can really appreciate your decision to stop riding, David.
post #14 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:04 am

Joel,

It's good to see you post, too bad it's about a get off. Please go see a Doc and get the xrays and hopefully a upperbody scan.
I broke 5 ribs in 2001, thought I was OK and turned down the Ambulance ride to the Hospital. By the time the wife came to pick me up from the accident scene I was so stiff I was having trouble breathing. So she drove me to the hospital even though I said not to. She was right - 5 broken ribs and a bruised lung, my spleen was ok thankfully.
Nothing they can do for the ribs if they are not out of position but the bruised lung was not good. They need to watch that closely so that you don't get a blood clot.
Took a long time to heal but I was still able to ride with pain - just could not lift anything or laugh. I wish you the best, and heal fast.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #15 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:24 am

Get the X-Ray Joel. Yea...sounds like ribs to me, but still. You have to know that everything else is cool.

And some helpful advise: Broken ribs don't hurt half as bad as long as you don't laugh, cough, wink, smile, breathe, sneeze, fart, or snore. Try to avoid these activities, if at all possible.

Sorry to hear. Heal well.
post #16 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
--------This accident was also caused by a liquid on the road -- however, it was put there intentionally. There were stripes of some kind of liquid on the road that I noticed only after I crashed. It turns out that the town sprays some kind of liquid on the road the day before snow is expected. And snow was expected for the next day. The stuff was so slippery, that after I got back on my bike to ride home, the rear tire actually spun on it as I slowly released the clutch. I had no idea what the stuff in the road was until my neighbor, the town judge, explained it to me. Kinda torques me off, I'll tell ya.
Holy Cow!!! Sounds like a law suit to me! Cannot imagine how they can do something that will endanger a motorcycle, or even car like that and not be liable. If it was me, I would be talking to a good motorcycle aware attorney.
Quote:
And now, having a wife and young kids who depend on me makes me feel guilty for taking risks. I can really appreciate your decision to stop riding, David.
Actually, that was my Wife's decision, not mine. I still want another LT.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:58 am

Quote:
Thank goodness for the UK/European free health service, sounds like you guys need to pay for every visit??

Free? Yeah right, you pay, just in other ways. I'll stick to paying when I need it.

Public Medicine? No Thanks! I've seen public housing.

Sorry for the Hijack Joel! Good to see you back, but too bad on these terms!
Just wait till one of those kids jumps on Dad! Aieeee!

Keith
San Diego
04 GS Adv.

If you're lucky enough to be at the beach...
you're lucky enough.

Last edited by Keith; Jan 4th, 2006 at 1:10 pm.
post #18 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:49 pm

Internal injuries do not always come with symptoms, so looking for blood in the urine, et cetera is not a good idea for peace of mine or your long term health. May be something as simple as connective tissue strain but you need to have it checked out.

"The problem with most people...
they don't know what they don't know".

Ravenous Reader of Non-Fiction!
post #19 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Go and get X-rays. A few months back, I ivestigated a motorcycle collision. The rider told me he was sore. However, he did go to the hospital. He wound up with a punctured lung.

If your ribs are dislocated, I believe they can be put back.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #20 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 1:48 pm
Super Moderator

That certainly sounds like cracked or broken ribs; you're describing what Kari went through when she brke hers in our accident. I would definitely go get them checked out to make sure that, if broken, they aren't at risk of damaging other things, like poking a hole in a lung or something.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #21 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm

And why is it cracked ribs hurt more than broke? I've never figured it out and sure don't want to try it again for scientific analysis.

Smile without laughing for 6 weeks and for the love of God, if you have allergies, get some meds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Update

Well, I'm back from the hospital, and don't have any broken ribs. Evidently, they're just bruised. So I must be a big wimp. I'll tell you though, if bruised ribs hurt this bad, I don't want to know how bad broken ribs are. So they gave me a shot (which I thought was odd) and prescription for pain meds and sent me on my way.

Man, I can't believe how many of ya'll have had broken ribs. It seems to be a hazard of the sport. Thanks for all the good wishes, folks.

-joel
post #23 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Quote:
------Thank goodness for the UK/European free health service, sounds like you guys need to pay for every visit??
I wish we had a little more government CONTROL of the insanely escalating medical costs here in the US, but for most of us, insurance covers the major costs. Those unfortunate people who have major medical instances and no insurance can be in DEEP trouble though!

My last accident ended up being over $120,000 US in total medical costs, but my out of pocket costs were less than $400. Insurance covered the rest.

I think the fact that we mostly have insurance is the main reason for the outrageous costs now. I am surprised the insurance companies have not banded together and forced drug companies, doctors, hospitals, etc to rein in the charges and make it reasonable for them and the patients, and still allow them to make reasonable profits.

The typical total yearly medical costs for my wife and I are about $2,500-$3,000 out of pocket, with another $3,500 in insurance premiums. When we both retire (near future I hope) the insurance premiums will be closer to $6,000 per year. Scary!

Yes, quite expensive compared to the European model, but not sure what your "hidden" costs are to cover it. I do know that some European country's tax rates are WAY higher than ours. You may be paying nearly as much as we are, but hidden in taxes. You probably have it much better when retirement comes around!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #24 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Man, I can't believe how many of ya'll have had broken ribs. It seems to be a hazard of the sport.
I guess it's the primary side-effect of deceleration trauma. Slam into a concrete wall at 60 mph, something has got to give!
post #25 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Allot of their cost is in their gas prices. Huge taxes in the gas, we just pay at the hospital...

Canada is the same way, social medicine. Canadians that can afford it come to the US to have elective surgery so they don't have to wait a year to get it......Regards Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #26 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 8:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The UK system is fine in theory, but in practice the tax money gets diverted away so the hospitals are left with shoestring budgets. That happens here too, except it's the health care corporations skimming off profits.

And it'll only get worse as the population ages, and the baby boomers start retiring in force. The rest of us have outrageous health care costs and little to no social security to look forward to.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Clear Lane with Molasses

[QUOTE=dshealey]Holy Cow!!! Sounds like a law suit to me! Cannot imagine how they can do something that will endanger a motorcycle, or even car like that and not be liable. If it was me, I would be talking to a good motorcycle aware attorney.

QUOTE]
Joel, good to hear that you did not break any ribs. David and Joel, your town might be using a new treatment this year, mine is. I've noted some brown strips of YUK which must be the molasses that is part of the mix. I did not think they would put is down ahead of the storm, but in your hilly section they might think it is a good idea. Thanks for the heads up. Following is some info on the product. Barnett

This winter, the City will continue its experiment with a new product produced by Cargill Salt Limited. The product is called “ClearLane” and is made from road salt mixed with magnesium chloride and food grade molasses. The molasses is used to coat the materials. This helps prevent the material from bouncing off the roadway when applied by the spreader vehicles. In other words, the material stays where it is needed. The addition of magnesium chloride also allows the material to work at a much lower temperature than regular road salt. As the material stays where it is supposed to be, and is able to work at lower temperatures, it works faster and less material is needed.

The “ClearLane” material looks similar to a sand salt mixture in colour, and has a slight molasses odour to it. But don’t be fooled; it’s not for eating!

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #28 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 9:40 pm

A few years ago I was on a business trip in Japan when a co-worker developed some heart issues. He was taken to the emergency room and spent about 5 hours there having various tests done. Dr visits and hospital stays in Japan are paid in cash so I was quite worried about the cost. I was shocked to find out the total cost for the stay and tests was $230.

I agree that insurance has driven up the cost of medical care because there is no methodology to force cost control.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #29 of 31 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:31 pm
Cat Herder

What a big pussy! ;)

Quote:
Well, I'm back from the hospital, and don't have any broken ribs. Evidently, they're just bruised. So I must be a big wimp. I'll tell you though, if bruised ribs hurt this bad, I don't want to know how bad broken ribs are. So they gave me a shot (which I thought was odd) and prescription for pain meds and sent me on my way.

Man, I can't believe how many of ya'll have had broken ribs. It seems to be a hazard of the sport. Thanks for all the good wishes, folks.

-joel
Seriously! Good to hear that the spillhad no real negative impact on you. Now you know how I felt just a tad more than a year at my spill with 6 broken ribs, a broken clavicle and a punctured lung among other problems LOL.

But I definitely would also talk to the town. Can't believe they can KNOWINGLY just throw stuff on the road that endagers road users without warning.
post #30 of 31 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:02 am

Sorry to read about your get-off Joel but glad that you've been given the all-clear. Sounds like your bike wasn't too badly damaged either.

Interesting to read about the various winter road treatments. I have a good friend who worked for many years in the local road department (now retired) and he told me that, although they only ever used salt (mixed with grit on minor roads), the road surface made a big difference in the efficacy of the treatment. If the surface material is permeable then the treatment works well and the anti-freezing effect lasts some time (until washed away by rain). But if it's non-permeable (such as a stretch of local road laid with concrete) then the salt is almost useless, as it just bounces off the surface, or is swept off by traffic, requiring much more frequent reapplication.

David Mack
2000 Champagne
Scotland

Last edited by beemerlt; Jan 5th, 2006 at 2:25 am.
post #31 of 31 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Joel, I agree about doctor/hospital visits being a pain, but the results of broken ribs can be even worse, gone un-diagnosed!

See someone, get X-rays, prepare to suffer for weeks. I had to rent a hospital bed for several weeks until I could get into my own. The result of ribs on both sides, front and back....10 ribs involved. I got smashed into the ground like a rag doll!

Glad to hear that was all that happened! It may hurt, but it beats not feeling a thing!!

Heal fast, my friend!

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in