Opinions wanted - Honda or VW? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Opinions wanted - Honda or VW?

Well, I'm not sure if anyone around here has any opinions.. buuuut.... thought I would ask anyway....

I'm looking at a new commuter car for the misses and am thinking about a Honda Civic or Accord, or a VW Passat or Jetta.
Anyone have any experience with either one they would care to share? I'm thinking of the overall experience; Dependability, maintainance costs, resale value etc. Gas mileage is not the most important aspect, more the safety, reliability and costs of ownership.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Re: Opinions wanted - Honda or VW?

If it means anything, my son is a used car manager for a large dealership & he would always rate the Honda on top & always steer me away from VW. & no, he doesn't work for a Honda dealer. My wife drives a 2 door 2005 Honda Accord & LOVES it.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #3 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:02 pm

I hear that Honda Civic won the year of the car award due to innovative design I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Well, I'm not sure if anyone around here has any opinions.. buuuut.... thought I would ask anyway....

I'm looking at a new commuter car for the misses and am thinking about a Honda Civic or Accord, or a VW Passat or Jetta.
Anyone have any experience with either one they would care to share? I'm thinking of the overall experience; Dependability, maintainance costs, resale value etc. Gas mileage is not the most important aspect, more the safety, reliability and costs of ownership.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:07 pm

+1 on the Honda. VW's have had several issues. I do have a friend with a new TDI diesel beetle and loves it.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:22 pm
Gold Supporter

You can't go wrong with the Civic or the Accord. VW has some issues in 08 and they carried over from 07 so who knows what 09 will bring. J.D.Powers always puts Honda at the top of the list...although Toyota may be pressing on that now.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:30 pm

But the VW is more fun in the twisities! Be sure to keep an eye on the final drive

post #7 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:31 pm

My daughter ignored her brother's advise on VW & bought one anyway. He told her they had tranny problems & at what milage they usually fail & he was right.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #8 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Super Moderator

Honda is the way to go. Consumer Reports consistently rates Hondas at the top of their lists and VW at the bottom in that various factors you list. MY wife owned a VW for a few years and eventually traded it off for a Honda after she got tired of taking it to the shop all the time.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #9 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 3:50 pm

My wife has a 08 accord with the 190 HP 4 cyl. She drives 60 miles one way to work every day, gets 28 MPG. I was looking at the VW at first and found out that the Honda would hold there value much better over the long run.
post #10 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Quote:

It is a lot like the Honda/BMW question. The Honda is bullet proof , but the VW has moxy .
I like the Honda polyester suit analogy. Like a polyester suit, a Honda is functional, logical and they will last forever (even though you may not them to!!).
Some will never love a Honda no matter how well engineered it is because it is the quirks that make the machine. In contrast, there are folks who will love it through many years of ownership ... they usually like polyester suits as well!

In this case I would go for the moxy and buy the VW, as it would be an atrocity to wear my Orvis gear while driving a Honda.
post #11 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:09 pm

My '05 VW Passat TDI has 76k miles on it. It's been trouble-free, except for a poorly-fitting glovebox door that was repaired twice and then replaced, under warranty.

Although I pay a 20%-25% premium for diesel over 87 octane gasoline, I get outstanding mileage. This car is the only one I've heard of that gets better mileage than the EPA sticker. The sticker rated the car at 28 mpg city / 38 mpg highway. My overall mileage -- all 76k miles -- is 38.5 mpg. I'm getting high 40s going down the highway at 65 mph with an auto tranny and a/c. And, I love the way it drives and rides -- typical VW, just like my '79 Rabbit used to perform.

All that said, I consider myself lucky, wondering if the negative press on VWs is going to come true some time. If I had to buy a car today for commuting, and if economy was the #1 criterion I might go with the new Civic or Toyota Corolla.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Have had both the Civic and Accord,

If I was smart we would ditch the 325i and buy a good used Civic!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #13 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:26 pm

I had a 2002 Turbo S Beetle for 4 years and then gave it to my son. I had very few problems in the 80,000 miles I had it. However since my son got it, it has had a host of problems - we've spent more on it than we should have. I don't know if it is because of different driving styles - teenagers tend to drive faster.

After the Beetle I bought a 2007 VW GTI. I've done 33,000 miles without any issues. The car is a blast to drive and handles great. It has front and side airbags. Maintenance costs have been minimal, $150 or so every 10,000 miles, although I believe the 40,000 service will be more expensive. I've averaged about 27mpg, but like the LT's it uses the higher octane fuel. I'll have to replace the tires in another 3 months or so.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

post #14 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

We are on our second VW Jetta and love it. The first had some problems but not anything major. our 2007 2.5 L 5 cyl, 6 speed auto trans is a blast to drive. So far 18,000 trouble free miles.

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Here is the simple answer:

The Honda for reliability and low maintenance cost.
The VW for handling, braking, and fun to drive.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #16 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 7:25 pm
Cat Herder

I have had multiple 100's of thousand miles on VW's and most of them were trouble free. The way I see it is the same way we go about the bikes. Ride it till it brakes and then ride some more.

I have to admit that a Honda is most likely overall the more economic car, but at the same time it does not create the same 'feeling' it does not create that emotional response. Also as Howard said, if you go for absolute fuel effiency, you can;t beat the Turbo diesels.
post #17 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Drive the 6 cylinder Accord, and I think you'll be sold. The handling and braking are superb, I don't care what anybody says. It corners flat like a sports car and handles the twisties wonderfully. And the acceleration is just fantastic. We got a 2008 which has some 250 HP. The news ones are over 270 HP. Ridiculously fun little cars that will last a good long time.
post #18 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've been seriously looking at the *new* Jetta with the TDI Diesel. Mileage is
suppose to be outstanding. A friend of mine has an older Golf Diesel and she
loves it.

I was about to buy the Jetta/TDI over a year ago but the dealer slapped an
extra $1500 charge on the window since they were stopping production until
this year's model came out with the new TDI. Really pissed me off. I told them
to stuff it. I guess I need to go down to the Honda dealer to check out what they
have as well.

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

post #19 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Drive the 6 cylinder Accord, and I think you'll be sold. The handling and braking are superb, I don't care what anybody says. It corners flat like a sports car and handles the twisties wonderfully. And the acceleration is just fantastic. We got a 2008 which has some 250 HP. The news ones are over 270 HP. Ridiculously fun little cars that will last a good long time.
What he said... Since '99, we have had 3 Honda Accords (2 V-6) in our family, and an S2000, between me, my wife, and 2 kids.

No problems, and only ONE warranty repair. The V-6 Accords are plenty fun, and the S2000 is a plain blast.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #20 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Smile Re: Opinions wanted - Honda or VW?

The wife is on her 3ed Honda Accord over the last 20+ years. The dam things are bullet proof.
post #21 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 9:03 pm

If safety and dependability are your concerns look at the Volvo S40. Great car, we get 30+ miles to the gallon on the hwy. And they are absolutely bullet proof. Volvo always gets top marks in safety too!
post #22 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 9:46 pm

I'm on my 5th or 6th Honda Accord coupe. The 08 is the best of all. Each one is better than the one before. I get the v6. It has the variable cylinder scheme. Runs on 6 when you need it, then switches to 4 or 3 cylinders when cruising. Only way one can tell is a light comes on -ECO- when on 3 cylinders. Can't feel any change.
post #23 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

This is really great feedback guys! I really appreciate it!
I was leaning toward the Honda prior to this thread, and am pretty seriously considering an Accord or Civic. The S40 is an interesting option I hadn't thought of, and safety for her is paramount in my mind, with reliability right behind. Could be worth some research before we pull the trigger.

Thanks all for the opinions!

post #24 of 50 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 10:38 pm

+1 on the Accord. Overall great car.

My son has an '06 Honda Civic. I drive an '03 VW Passat Wagon for work. We both love our totally different cars. I've put 17k miles on mine this year with no problems, just some required maintenance. I've owned civics, accords, corollas, celicas, bugs and rabbits just to name a few. Stay away from the vw rabbit.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #25 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:03 am

I have a neighbor with a turbo diesel VW and he loves it, but he was very, very excited and enthused when he bought his wife a new Accord. (?) YMMV dwillie.
post #26 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 1:24 am

I loved my Jetta right up the point where it was taken back BU VW and officially declared a Lemon, well that is after the dealer and I had over $17,000 in repairs that is.....

Hope this helps you with your decision,

Michael
post #27 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 7:16 am

I've had both Accord and Jetta. As many here have stated, I too see the Honda as a better overall value. While the Jetta was very good at handling and the overall fun factor, the Honda is very good at the quality factor. And if your wife is anything like mine she's not caring for the fun factor. The ride is only something to get you from point A to point B safely, efficiently and trouble free. Honda has that all over the VW's. On S40, Blonds build them. 'Nuff said...

Mark
'07 RT
post #28 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 7:22 am

Cool Re: Opinions wanted - Honda or VW?

Quote:
I was leaning toward the Honda prior to this thread, and am pretty seriously considering an Accord or Civic. The S40 is an interesting option I hadn't thought of, and safety for her is paramount in my mind, with reliability right behind. Could be worth some research before we pull the trigger.

get one with an extended warranty! them $1,000 oil changes will flat out kill ya!

volvo's owned:
764 turbo
S70
S40 (daughter after she totaled the S70 by rear ending a toyota corolla)...of course the corolla simply lost an exhaust hanger, and drove off, the damned volvo was totaled, and the air bag sensors were laying on the ground (airbags never deployed)

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #29 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 8:00 am

I have run an accord and a civic. The accord was a bit thirsty the civic has been the family car for the last 8 years and never let us down for over 150,000 miles. Only thing to remember with a Honda - get that cam belt serviced/ changed when the book says. I lost my first ST100 Honda engine due to leaving it 15k longer than spec!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #30 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 8:18 am

If you want FUN to drive, good fuel economy, and good safety (5* rating although I wouldn't want to get run over by a dump truck) go look at the MINI COOPER. If you want all that and even more FUN, drive a Mini S with 6 speed manual! The cars are quick, just over 6 sec to 60, handle like a street legal go cart and have 6 air bags! I have an '06 S with 23,000 miles and no problems yet. Average right at 30 mpg. Not sure of the current status, but thru '06 MINI was #1 for resale value in the US.

Good luck with your decision.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #31 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:51 pm

$1,000 oil change on an S40?? You're going to the wrong dealer. Mine are 29.95 with their coupon they offer on the dealer website. (normally 39.95).
post #32 of 50 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithRK54
$1,000 oil change on an S40?? You're going to the wrong dealer. Mine are 29.95 with their coupon they offer on the dealer website. (normally 39.95).

ahhh, its not the "oil change" but the service at the oil change that bites ya, which more often than not turn up brakes, or rotors, (or both) or O2 sensors, or ... some other damned expensive farkle that needs to be replaced/serviced/inspected....

been that way on both the S70, and the S40, not the dealer, just the way they are designed. they last a long time, but you end up replacing expensive parts much more often than on an american made car. YMMV

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #33 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 3:17 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Greetings KMC! As much as I love the Jokeswagons (family has owned them all), a Honda is bulletproof. Impossible to get any more reliable.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #34 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 8:05 am Thread Starter

OK. I have one last question for "those in the know"

How does the Accord / Civic do in winter driving? I know I'm giving up winter performance with a smaller car, so I'm not expecting 4 wheel drive performance. There will be times she'll have to drive herself to/from work in the snow and am curious how they are. I still have time to get a subaru if need be

Thanks again for all the great info!

post #35 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:05 am

Quote:

How does the Accord / Civic do in winter driving? I know I'm giving up winter performance with a smaller car, so I'm not expecting 4 wheel drive performance. There will be times she'll have to drive herself to/from work in the snow and am curious how they are. I still have time to get a subaru if need be

As long as she doesn't get high centered, they keep on rolling. I live near Tahoe, and my Accord has been to snow country many many times. The only time I chain up is when Caltrans makes me, and then I remove them at first opportunity.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-

Last edited by hallzee; Aug 8th, 2008 at 9:43 am.
post #36 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Agree w/Kdog buy a Honda!

However I'm confused by the hp numbers here - I though the '08/09 Accords were the same hp and engine? '07 had the lesser hp? BTW, I drive an '07 I4 4dr. We're on our fourth Honda and none of them gave any problems.

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #37 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 4:30 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:

Great in the snow! Way toooooo good. Last time I tried it, I made it all the way home--over 10 miles of up to 8 inches of snow--and over $500 smacks of damage to my Honda! Guess we WON'T be doing that again?

But Subaru is also a great vehicle. Like Toyota/Honda great.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Last edited by jayjacobson; Aug 8th, 2008 at 7:55 pm.
post #38 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Quote:

The S40 is, according to reliability ratings, a piece of crap. I think it is all Ford underneath!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #39 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Quote:

Put 4 snow tires on it and it is good to go. I once drove my 94 Civic through a blizzard that left cars stranded on I 287 in NY. No worries mate!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #40 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Sorry, but in my book small and safety don't fit in the same sentence. I just saw a wreck last weekend, a small car (couldn't tell what it was, due to damage) tangled with a pickup. The truck had minor damage to the front quarter/bumper, the small car occupants rode off in an ambulance after the jaws of life removed all the doors that were smashed shut. Go with something a bit more substantial.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #41 of 50 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:57 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
The S40 is, according to reliability ratings, a piece of crap. I think it is all Ford underneath!
Yeah, I ever since Volvo and Saab were bought out, they don't seem to have a reason to exist. If you're gonna send that kind of cabbage, why not buy a BMW?

post #42 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 7:48 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Honda yeah Honda is the way to go.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #43 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Yeah, I ever since Volvo and Saab were bought out, they don't seem to have a reason to exist. If you're gonna send that kind of cabbage, why not buy a BMW?
I thought about that, but after my experience with the LT, combined with the depreciation and maintenance costs of a beemer, I don't feel it's a good investment for us. Her car can't be having issues all the time as her job is inflexible, so we really need something reliable. Honda, Toyota, or poooossibly an American car are the most likely contenders.

post #44 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 9:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Sorry, but in my book small and safety don't fit in the same sentence. I just saw a wreck last weekend, a small car (couldn't tell what it was, due to damage) tangled with a pickup. The truck had minor damage to the front quarter/bumper, the small car occupants rode off in an ambulance after the jaws of life removed all the doors that were smashed shut. Go with something a bit more substantial.
Yeah, I know. She won't let me though. I REALLY want a new F150 crew cab so I have something to carry the LT when it breaks down and for the snowmobile, dump runs etc. But she totally refuses to drive one. I'm a little pissed about that actually.....but you didn't hear that from me!

post #45 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Put 4 snow tires on it and it is good to go. I once drove my 94 Civic through a blizzard that left cars stranded on I 287 in NY. No worries mate!
This is good info, but just between you and me I would MUCH rather ride in a blizzard with you driving than her! Remember, you didn't hear that!

post #46 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:14 pm
Bouncer

I guess nobody buys American anymore. At least the Civic is made in Ohio. The Chevy Cobalt and Ford Focus ranked much higher than the VW in the JD Powers rankings, and just a few down from the Civic (Cobalt was #4 and Focus was #6)

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #47 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I guess nobody buys American anymore. At least the Civic is made in Ohio. The Chevy Cobalt and Ford Focus ranked much higher than the VW in the JD Powers rankings, and just a few down from the Civic (Cobalt was #4 and Focus was #6)
We're ex-GM customers. 25 years of nothing but brand new GMs for the SO and me... Then a '92 Pontiac soured us for good. Two blown engines replaced under warranty.

Warranty is out for two weeks, and the engine blows again (this particular engine was from the first year of its production on my wife's Pontiac model year, and had known defects). GM says, "Sorry, out of warranty", and refused to budge - we were loyal customers (and I had pointed out to several GM reps the list of brand new GM products that we had purchased over the years; 6 cars and trucks overall). Fought with them for a few weeks, finally gave up and bought our first Honda. Sent GM a letter pledging to never set foot in their showrooms again.

4 brand new Hondas later, nary a problem...

Ironically, 2 weeks after getting our first Accord, we got a letter from GM, saying that they had reconsidered and offered to repair our now sold piece of crap. Too late; have never considered GM since.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #48 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:43 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Yeah Jeff, Consumer's Union has never been big on Jokeswagens. But, ours have always been better than ok in reliability. Could just be luck, however.

Now, my old man NUTTED UP big time and did something SHOCKING after owning NOTHING but VW's for FIFTY (yes that's 50) years: he bought a Mini turbo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
We're ex-GM customers. 25 years of nothing but brand new GMs for the SO and me....
Same with the Ford's for me. After over 20 years and NOTHING but Fords, I couldn't hang any more. Last straw was the 95 bird. I paid a FORD DEALER $3k for a head job at approx 150k miles. Approx 30k miles later, she blows ANOTHER head gasket! WTF?

So as my huge, fat ass was on the side of the road (numerous times), in the middle of BFE, I was thinking (sorry in advance) how MEANINGLESS that $10k was that I saved over buying a Toyota or Honda!

And who says a moron never learns?

post #49 of 50 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I know what you mean. I haven't owned anything but American cars my whole life. Dodges, AMC's, Chevy, Ford etc. And if I was buying for me, I would most likely get another one. But I'm buying for her and I want her to have the best....so my first thought is Honda.
Over lunch today, we started discussing the Honda we test drove this AM and we started talking about looking at American cars as a less expensive option we should consider. a 3 or 4 year old Accord is still $17k - $19k while for half that much we could pick up a Focus or possibly even go with a smaller SUV.
Ahhhh. Now I'm just confused.

post #50 of 50 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 4:00 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
....Over lunch today, we started discussing the Honda we test drove this AM and we started talking about looking at American cars as a less expensive option we should consider. a 3 or 4 year old Accord is still $17k - $19k while for half that much we could pick up a Focus or possibly even go with a smaller SUV....
I know it's tempting but DON'T! That $10k you saved won't mean shit when your stuck out in the middle of BFE--especially when it happens MORE THAN ONCE! Don't ask how I know....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in