Any Feathercraft Kayak owners here? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Any Feathercraft Kayak owners here?

Looking for some inspiration to get my Big Kahuna out of storage. Had it out twice sailing last year. Had such a great time both days, I then decided not to tarnish the memories by trying again.., plus I have a great deal of difficulty dealing with the assholes running the parks service, right up to the DOJ offices (an ADA issue). I only have one other person that is willing to make these journeys, and she is out of commission due to a head injury. Too risky for night runs myself these days.

Nonetheless, we have three. Two K-lights and the 15' Kahuna. Sailed the two K lights off VA coast with the dolphins. That, was awesome! Have had more than a couple near death experiences since 1996.

I took for granted the boats were all but invincible, and went over my first time in a big lake, in 40 degree water on a stormy day in late March here in Pa. There was no one out that day except my companion. I most assuredly would not have returned, had she not been there to help steady the kayak so I could finally get back in. Even at that, it took nearly 20+ minutes of struggling just to get back in the boat, but it felt more like two hours. After that adventure, I invested in Sea Wings. They allowed me to rig the boats for sailing.

But, when you take that big of a risk, there is bound to be a price to pay for the thrill.

From then on, it was safety first, and I spent a small fortune being prepared.

My neighbor and I did Corson's inlet in NJ. Wow, was that an experience. He got nailed with a monster of a wave that all but took his kayak. I managed to ride the wave, never thought a kayak could be "launched", but it sure was exciting. Darn lucky it did not rip the rudder off. The sound of the ocean was unbelievable! I don't believe he has been out since. He had been a semi professional sailor and boat owner for years. Just did not have the proper type of craft for that journey. Definitely one of those bonding type experiences you never forget.

Just wondered if anyone else enjoys the sport?

~;^/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 9:01 am

Re: Any Feathercraft Kayak owners here?

We sold our Folbot...used it on the Mississippi, Suwanee River, Chesapeke bay, Spoon River, Wilamette River, Columbia River, and plenty of Florida black water.
We have two little moving water kayaks and a 17' Tempest (Karens)
and a 17' Wet Willy (mine)
Most of our kayaking these days is on moving water .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KS7.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	18939  

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by STARFIGHTER; Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:06 am. Reason: grammer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in