What to do with all the riding gear? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

What to do with all the riding gear?

Between the two of us, the saddle bags and trunk are completely full. We both wear full protective: gear, pants, jacket, boots etc. The problem now has been, we rarely take the bike anywhere, when we would like to walk around.

#1. All that gear is too heavy to carry.
#2. How to best secure the stuff to the bike?
#3. Is it covered by insurance if you have for instance a high quality duffel locked to both saddle bags?

I do use the Nelson Riggs half cover to keep unwanted eyes off of most of the bike accessories: tank bag, GPS and other stuff. Nonetheless, we have a lot to lose should we take it for granted that most folks will leave your stuff alone. I've had too many things stolen in the past to consider walking away from hundreds of $$$ in stuff that can so easily be lifted.

The most we seem to use the bike for at the moment are the occasional trips to a restaurant, and take what we wear, inside.

I am considering something under $100 from either LLBean or Cabela's to lock the gear in that would go across and be secured to each handle on the saddle bags, and then to the bike, and then cover that with the bike cover.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

~;^/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Re: What to do with all the riding gear?

I know this doesn't help, but I've never locked up any riding gear or helmet. Always put on seat. I guess you could always pull a Uni-Go or make your own trailer if protection doesn't fit anywhere else.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:35 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Just get a 6 foot long small gauge cable with "eyelets" in each end, run it threw the arms and legs of gear also the helmets then lock it to the center stand grab handle on the left side of the seat.
BTW like Neil I always just leave my gear on the bike.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:37 pm

If we ride locally, we put everything in the saddlebags and topcase. If we travel far and long we pull a trailer. I use ALUMA cargo trailer to haul luggage, ice chest and gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86338MCT_Trailer.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	18882  

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

A long cable or chain lock threaded through the helmets and jacket sleeves and the saddlebag handles is the simplest solution. Throw on the half cover and most folks won't even notice your bike, let alone your stuff. When you're ready to ride, tuck it all (including the cover) in the space between the passenger seat and the trunk.

That worked for us all across Western Europe and most of the USA.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

I was going to mention the trailer is not an option. I will make a trip to LLBean next week to see what they have. The long cable will do the job, just seems like a lot of work for two complete sets of gear (I do believe I already have that from our kayaking days), and probably not a safer means to keep it all attached to the bike.

Appreciate the ideas nonetheless!
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
A long cable or chain lock threaded through the helmets and jacket sleeves and the saddlebag handles is the simplest solution. Throw on the half cover and most folks won't even notice your bike, let alone your stuff. When you're ready to ride, tuck it all (including the cover) in the space between the passenger seat and the trunk.
+1 Works great for us too; Pacsafe cable lock system works very well. A compact little setup with a combination lock. Click here for Pacsafe

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

If someone really wants your stuff, they'll get it. But making it difficult and covering it up takes away most of the opportunistic thieves. Be cautious, but not paranoid.

And let me tell you, riding through Paris at midnight after someone steals your helmets is not fun. Fixing the locks on two saddlebags and the trunk also sucks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:40 am

Security: If somebody really wants something off your bike, they are going to get it, no matter how you think you are going to protect it. If you can't afford to lose it, don't bring it with you. Think about where you are at when you park the bike. I always tried to park the LT next to a crotch rocket, as they will steal the rocket well before thinking about the LT. I don't believe anyone here on the board has experienced first hand a stolen an LT. When I would travel for work, I would leave the LT parked for a couple of weeks at LAX. That's the only time I'd use a cover.

The majority of the time, if something looks secure, most people will leave it alone. I rarely would ever lock the bags or the oddments box (or remove the key from the ignition).

Gear Storage: Simplify. Get used to getting by with less. Learn to not carry a pile of stuff you will probably never use with you (like the useless CO2 cartridges in the tool kit that are still the originals from 1999). Your wife will have to get used to wearing pants with pockets, as the large pile of purse will not fit on the bike. Learn to walk around in your riding boots.

Start by emptying everything from your bags and trunk. Pull the CD changer out so you have a little more room in the right side bag (or "his side" as the salesman will refer to it).

Then pack all of your riding gear into the bags and trunk, using the cable in the toolkit to secure your helmets to the bike. For the little amount of space left with your riding gear packed on the bike, use "need" versus "want" logic on each item you think you need on the bike.

To whittle down the pile of stuff you think you "need", put a piece of blue painter's tape on it, every time you use it, write the date on the tape. After a month or two, look at how many articles don't have a date on them. Leave these at home.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 1:50 am
BMW Guru

These work great and are quite secure.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...n=detail&id=50

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...n=detail&id=30

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 15 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 7:35 am

Master lock, No. 8400 Python Adjustable Locking Cables

see pic below. I also use this to lock the fron wheel to the deployed center stand so that it cannot be pushed off to roll away

available at any Lowes or Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	python lock.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	18884  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:47 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
Master lock, No. 8400 Python Adjustable Locking Cables

see pic below. I also use this to lock the fron wheel to the deployed center stand so that it cannot be pushed off to roll away

available at any Lowes or Home Depot.
I have two of those in the 20' length. Great for locking up dirt bikes and trailers and stuff in the back of my pick up. Even got them keyed alike

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 15 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 2:55 pm

I bought a bicycle lock cable that is great for securing jackets and helmets, etc to the bike.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #14 of 15 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
+1 on th PacSafe cable. I love mine - it is so small you can carry it in your pocket and thread it thru two jackets and pants.

I am paranoid so I lock my gear to the bike...

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I have two of those in the 20' length. Great for locking up dirt bikes and trailers and stuff in the back of my pick up. Even got them keyed alike

I have the 20' python cables, and the super HD master locks for the trailer and bikes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	master lock.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	18887  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in