Where should it be stowed? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Where should it be stowed?

Co-pilot/navigator is in love with her new laptop. We are not planning a trip this year, but hope to go on a long one late next summer/fall if the new house is finished (and assuming we have any money or credit left). If she takes her laptop along would it be stowed best in the trunk, side bag, or in a tank bag. Was worried about heat build up as well as vibration. Anybody have any thoughts or experience in this area? Would appreciate the imput.
Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:04 am

Re: Where should it be stowed?

My advice is that when you go on vacation, you leave the stupid laptop, blackberry, and palm pilots at home!
That said, the trunk is the best spot for it, in my opinion. Put it in with the clothes so it is cushioned from vibration as much as possible. And don't put it in there while it's asleep, put it away completely off.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I just finished riding about 8,000 miles with my laptop in my side case with no problems. I did not use an entire computer case, just a padded "envelope". It was nestled between a stuff sack that had my rain gear and another stuff sack that contained other soft items all inside my Kathy's bag liner for easy removal every night. I agree it would have been great to leave it at home, unfortunatly, the choice was the ability to spend an hour or so a day on line with my office or not taking off a month to ride.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:44 pm

ditto on the padded "envelope". but i store mine upright in the top case
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Mine rides in the top case and has been on many trips! You would be amazed at what abuse a laptop can take! I used mine to navigate on the ICWW and Miss River. Generator power source that shut down while laptop on. Dropped it a couple of times. It is still going strong, a little rough around the edges, but still works well!!!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Cool Re: Where should it be stowed?

I seen a couple rideing a Iron Butt rally. The husband drove and the wife was the navigator. they were old hands at it. they had fabricated a large waterproof pocket and attached it to the back of his jacket to hold a laptop. the wife could take the laptop out and navigate while going down the road. (it was tethered) IMO those iron butt riders are a few bricks shy of a load.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 6:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
IMO those iron butt riders are a few bricks shy of a load.
Well, thank you for the compliment. I'll let you know when I get the laptop working from the rider's position.

My MacBook has survived tens of thousands of miles on the bike. Like Byrum, this allows me to travel freely but still maintain contact with my clients.

I have a padded bag that's just barely bigger than the laptop, but still has pockets for power cords, etc. That allows me to stow it in the trunk or side cases as needed.

I don't usually power it off but rather just close it and let it sleep. It always wakes up without any problems. Then again, it is an Apple.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 9:43 pm

Put in the topcase... if you can remove the Harddrive, do it and store it in some anti static bubble wrap inside a Tupperware kind of sandwich container. That will protect it from vibration, etc..

and, you might see if you have insurance on it before you leave... never know.

Now, if you MUST have "connectivity", plan some stops at some local libraries... they have PC's now a days...

If you need to "download" pictures from a camera, stop at a Walgreens or Wally world... and download to CD and mail them home...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNTER1100
Co-pilot/navigator is in love with her new laptop. We are not planning a trip this year, but hope to go on a long one late next summer/fall if the new house is finished (and assuming we have any money or credit left). If she takes her laptop along would it be stowed best in the trunk, side bag, or in a tank bag. Was worried about heat build up as well as vibration. Anybody have any thoughts or experience in this area? Would appreciate the imput.
Thanx
I'll second what Nogills said....

I have carried laptops in BMWs for years. They travel in a padded nylon carry case and reside in the top case. My old TI laptop finally quit working, but it was probably due to several drop-on-concrete incidences (even so, the case was cracked and held together with tape for a year or two before it finally died). It even survived a screen crushing and LCD transplant courtesy American Airline baggage handling. I carry a Dell laptop now, and it has been problem free for several years of traveling with me, commuting and long distance trips both.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in