PA's use of Geomelt & corrosive effects on vehicles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

PA's use of Geomelt & corrosive effects on vehicles

I just had my 97 Ford van inspected a few days ago. New rotors and brakes were installed 3k miles and 13 months ago. For the second time in two years, the rotors have failed. Last year, the steel brake lines ruptured, while it was on a lift having the tires rotated.

It started acting funny about two months ago, but I so rarely use it, I certainly did not figure the rotors would need replacing already. I happened to ask that they either pull the wheels or take a closer look, as having seen too much of this now, there was reason to expect something was not right with the front brakes.

The garage is seeing so much damage from the de-icing agent used by Penndot for the winter, they now carry brake line by the coils. A local Midas shop had an article in the paper, stating after doing hundreds in repairs on a car, it later was sold for scrap as the damage was too extensive to be worth fixing - all due to the Geomelt now being used on the roads.

Two vehicles were having brake lines replaced the day mine was towed in, and another the day I was in for inspection.

Those of you living in States that use this or similar chemicals, may want to pay special attention to your rotors and brake lines, for starters.

http://www.mcall.com/news/columnists...3137740.column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Re: PA's use of Geomelt & corrosive effects on vehicles

I grew up in northern PA and corrosion was always a problem IF you didn't take care of your vehicle. This includes undercoating and washing the underside several times during the winter. My father still lives in Northern PA and has no problems with his vehicles rusting out since he does do the above things...Then again it may just be that it is a Ford thing.

Last edited by Morley; Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:47 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Same up here in Alaska.

When purchasing a new vehicle, you MUST pay for the undercoating if you expect the car to last.

We also spray/wash the underside everytime you wash your car.

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

We also have an 02 Suzuki that is rusting badly, everywhere on the frame, except the brake lines - which have some unknown type of coating. Ford is notorious for their brake lines rusting, which started about five to six years ago when Penndot starting using Geomelt. One of those issues you don't hear being mentioned in the many accidents caused by this problem.

It is adversely affecting the LT as well, but seems to be mostly superficial rust on nut and bolt heads (the rotor bolts look rather bad), pins and other small parts.

This Geomelt de-icing agent they are now using is sprayed on the highways prior to any anticipated winter storms.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The have started using the sugar beet juice here in NE Ohio as well but have not heard of any additional corrosion issues

Geomelt Article

"Its trade name is Geomelt, and it is made from, of all things, sugar beets. (No red roads have been reported; actually, the liquid substance sold commercially is brown.)

Touted by Road Solutions Inc. of Indianapolis as organic and environmentally friendly, Geomelt comes in different formulations and can be used for roads, parking lots and even sidewalks.

''The organic coating reduces corrosion to equipment and is less corrosive overall compared to rock salt on roads and walkway surfaces,'' the company says, contending the material melts ice at temperatures as low as minus-25 degrees Fahrenheit, easily surpassing brine's 18-degree level.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

A friend is a long time, wholesaler for automotive parts and started mentioning this was becoming a big issue for his clients about five years ago. I paid little attention thinking it was older cars, or possibly 4x4's used for snow etc.

I had only 35k on my 99 Ford Van, and is rarely if ever driven in snow conditions.

Fortunately, my lines burst while on a lift. Another few minutes before or after, and that would have been a serious situation. You can not down shift at road speed, and there is no functioning emergency brake on this super duty van. It is for parking only. Once engaged, you have to push harder to disengage.

One of those moments that had me thinking it was just not my time, and decided to go ahead and buy the bike.

Having seen so much of this, I scheduled to have the one remaining OEM brake line replaced next week.

Interestingly, there is not a bit of rust anywhere on any of the body panels, all the rust is underneath, the brake lines being the worst of it. The rotors were replaced in Nov 2005 with OEM Ford rotors, and then again last June.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in