Your Car's Warranty is about to expire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Your Car's Warranty is about to expire

I've wondered about these incessant calls to my home and cell phones which are both listed on the "do not call" list. Where are they coming from? How do they know my car's warranty is about to expire?

Earlier this month, my wife and I were riding from Tucson to Minneapolis. We were on a break, having a snack by a gas station somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nebraska, and a pay phone (remember those?) nearby started ringing. Sure enough they had tracked us on the road and knew our warranty was about to expire.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Your Car's Warranty is about to expire

Snip... >> pay phone (remember those?) << . Ya ... there use to be two on every corner , & one in between . You could make a call from almost any were , and you would spend maybe .50 cents a month . Now you have to have a cell phone , that you are spending at least $30 a month on ...to make the same calls ... The phone companies are laughing all the way to the bank ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Re: Your Car's Warranty is about to expire

They call our office (federal gov office) at least once a day. I've tried scaring them by telling them that...but it doesn't work. They still keep calling. I've asked them multiple time to take us off their rolls...but it doesn't work.

I've made an evil game of it recently. I ask them what car I own...they don't know. I ask them when my warranty ends...they don't know. Then I tell them I need to extend the warranty on my Lamborghini, or an Aston Martin. Or I tell them I have 280,000 mi on the vehicle. Anything to keep them on the phone a while and mess their their head.

My question...is there any way to find out who these people are???

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
My question...is there any way to find out who these people are???
"Ask for their information and EXACT names, ask for the spelling, and if they ask why you need that: My answer always is: a) you called a government entity, no I cannot tell you which one, becuase if I do I would have to kill you, and second b) Now that I have your name and number I would advise you not to call again otherwise I would have to And hang up.

Then, with the names and numbers you can file a complaint at the FCC 's web site. If enough folks complain about one particular organization they get fined big time. Remember to get ALL their information, Company name, address, name of the guy calling, company address, spelling ...
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 4:25 pm

There was quit a lengthly article in the Denver paper this morning about this call. It was traced down to a real warranty service, but they denied random calls, the FTC doesn't believe them. When people are getting these calls and ask for any information the caller hangs up. Verizon is looking into this because it seems that their customers are getting phone spammed even though they are on the no call list.

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Angry Re: Your Car's Warranty is about to expire

I had a neighbor who owned several telemarketing companies. He was the most obnoxious neighbor I have ever had. It took several years but his warranty expired.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
How do they know my car's warranty is about to expire?
They don't. It is a law of averages. Most people keep their cars until the warranty is up then change vehicles.
I get those calls too, and E mails. My car's warranty expired May 1986. I like to ask them if they'll cover it on an extended warranty. They usually decline and hang up.
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Yeah these people really are a pain.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Quote:
I've wondered about these incessant calls to my home and cell phones which are both listed on the "do not call" list. Where are they coming from? How do they know my car's warranty is about to expire?

I've been getting the same calls. Bastards!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
"Ask for their information and EXACT names, ask for the spelling

Then, with the names and numbers you can file a complaint at the FCC 's web site. If enough folks complain about one particular organization they get fined big time. Remember to get ALL their information, Company name, address, name of the guy calling, company address, spelling ...
If only it were that easy Andy...

...the second you ask for personal info, such as company name, location, contact number, address, they HANG UP! That is what pisses me off. They
are "untouchable" for the common man like me...and man would I love to reach out and touch'em.

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
If only it were that easy Andy...

...the second you ask for personal info, such as company name, location, contact number, address, they HANG UP! That is what pisses me off. They
are "untouchable" for the common man like me...and man would I love to reach out and touch'em.
Call your phone co and tell them you are getting harassing phone calls from them, they will be able to get a phone # and a name to put with it.
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 7:54 pm

My favourite was to say"Hello, This is the telephone harassment service. Please state your full name, home address and telephone number, date of birth and national insurance number"
They will normally say they can't give that sort of information over the phone. I then ask to speak to a supervisor and repeat the request.
Best I got was three levels of supervisor above the original caller. Then they put the phone down. (Don't know why)

post #13 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:50 am
Bouncer

I've resorted to saying, I'm sorry, he/she died.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:35 pm

Quote:

Earlier this month, my wife and I were riding from Tucson to Minneapolis. We were on a break, having a snack by a gas station somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nebraska, and a pay phone (remember those?) nearby started ringing. Sure enough they had tracked us on the road and knew our warranty was about to expire.

Dale White
Good one, Dale. Roswell is in NM, not NB????
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 2:21 pm

Used to get calls like that offering me lifetime guaranteed light bulbs... if they ever burn out, we will replace them for a "modest" shipping & handling fee. Tried to be nice & tell themI did not need any, of course that didn't work. Then I had an idea. The next time they called a few days later, I again told them I did not need any. They persisted & told me that everyone needed them. I responded with the following."I was born blind, & I live alone." there was a long pause, followed by a" sorry for the call". They never called again.
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 9:38 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
I had a neighbor who owned several telemarketing companies. He was the most obnoxious neighbor I have ever had. It took several years but his warranty expired.

LOL

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in