Where oh where has my little dog gone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Where oh where has my little dog gone

Greetings, Students!

Next week, I'm being feted, wined and dined by a prospective new employer in Southern California. ( I wonder if I'll need to learn to speak southern?) They are supplying a rental car from Hertz what will have "navigation" in it. Other than a steering wheel and a gas station map, I suspect it will be some sort of GPS device. Has anyone had any experience with this perk from Hertz? If so, does it compare favorably with the Garmin GPS devices, or should I just plan to take my Garmin CPS V 'cause the Hertzian thangy can't be disconundrumed by adults and I'd just go in circles in the Hertz lot? The last time I rode the big flying sardine can, TSA got all panty twisted over my electronic farkles in the carryons. Certainly couldn't have been related to me replying as to what it all was that I was trying to receive radio Tehran.

Please advise about the Hertzian Naviagtional Naviator, pulease.

Thanks,

Still Hobblin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 2:34 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Where oh where has my little dog gone

Hertz uses Magellan equipment for this option. All the pictures I've ever seen of what they supply certainly look like a typical nav system.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 7:40 pm

The Hertz Never Lost works well out here. Just type in your end address and it will get you there.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Been there, done that. Easy to use, actually too EZ. Don't expect to DL routes or tracks, but for everything "find and go" it works well.

Oh - and enjoy the south left coast. Beautiful on the coast itself!

Mark
'07 RT
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, folks. I've been all along the Orange County coast, but no further north than Long Beach. I'm looking forward to a chance to explore further north and into the San Fernando (The Valley) Valley. The main focus is to nail the interview and get the job offer. Cross your fingers.

Hop A Long Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Talking Re: Where oh where has my little dog gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Thanks for the info, folks. I've been all along the Orange County coast, but no further north than Long Beach. I'm looking forward to a chance to explore further north and into the San Fernando (The Valley) Valley. The main focus is to nail the interview and get the job offer. Cross your fingers.

Hop A Long Karl
Good luck with the interview Karl! You won't need to learn to speak Southern, but you will be required to develop the "Valley" lingo and accent! Fer shure fer shure!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 5:51 pm

A year or so back, Hertz was getting all kinds of bad press about not updating their "Neverlost" map data and it getting out of date. Garmin - well - everything has that problem as new roads open up and ramps come and go.

I have not seen many complaints lately, and had no problems last year out in SF with the Neverlost thing.

You might want to ask them if the unit in your car has the most recent map update, just to be sure.

'best of luck with your trip - interview.' Five them 5+ points for being in a place with year round riding and lots of nearby hils.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Good luck with the interview Karl! You won't need to learn to speak Southern, but you will be required to develop the "Valley" lingo and accent! Fer shure fer shure!
Thanks, Gilles. I figure my dashing figure and rugged good looks won't hurt either . Accent and lingo are all part of the show. Thanks,

Hopalong Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Just be prepared for TRAFFIC! I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 7 years, actually liked it for the most part. I was on the very north edge of it (Granada Hills), so almost to the wilderness.

Don't know what you will be looking for for housing, but the west end of the valley, and the 210 out to Simi Valley is quite nice. EXPENSIVE of course, but with the market in the dumps now there are some very motivated buyers, and a lot of foreclosures. East toward Pasadena has some very nice areas, but out of price range for most mortals.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 4:02 pm

I would take my own gps if I had the choice. I was in a rental car last week that a friend had rented from Hertz at John Wayne Airport. The NeverLost system was not nearly as user friendly as my own gps and took a lot longer to input the desired location. The method of selecting letters on the system to spell the desired information is not nearly as friendly as a keyboard type system. Then, when we wanted to change something on the move we had to figure out how to override the in motion safety lock out. However, it does work and will get you where you need to be if you do not have room for your own system. I just find that when I am in a strange car in a location that is difficult to navigate in the first place, I appreciate every device that relieves stress and knowing how to use my own gps without any effort helps relieve the stress whereas trying to manipulate a new device (even if it is a good device) adds to the stress and reduces my ability to focus on the road and traffice in a way I do not need.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 12:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Just be prepared for TRAFFIC! I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 7 years, actually liked it for the most part. I was on the very north edge of it (Granada Hills), so almost to the wilderness.

Don't know what you will be looking for for housing, but the west end of the valley, and the 210 out to Simi Valley is quite nice. EXPENSIVE of course, but with the market in the dumps now there are some very motivated buyers, and a lot of foreclosures. East toward Pasadena has some very nice areas, but out of price range for most mortals.
Howdy, Dave. The company is located in Calabassas and I figured to locate as closely as budget will allow, probably Van Nuys. Presuming I were to get the job, of course. I do appreciate the information. I've been in Greater Los Angeles many times before and am well familiar with the traffic situation.

Hopalong Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 12:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
I would take my own gps if I had the choice. I was in a rental car last week that a friend had rented from Hertz at John Wayne Airport. The NeverLost system was not nearly as user friendly as my own gps and took a lot longer to input the desired location. The method of selecting letters on the system to spell the desired information is not nearly as friendly as a keyboard type system. Then, when we wanted to change something on the move we had to figure out how to override the in motion safety lock out. However, it does work and will get you where you need to be if you do not have room for your own system. I just find that when I am in a strange car in a location that is difficult to navigate in the first place, I appreciate every device that relieves stress and knowing how to use my own gps without any effort helps relieve the stress whereas trying to manipulate a new device (even if it is a good device) adds to the stress and reduces my ability to focus on the road and traffice in a way I do not need.
Howdy. I have luggage room, it's room in the rental and power port accessability I'm trying to plan. I want to limit how much bric-a-brac I have to take such as power port "Y" adapters and cables. I'll definitely have the radar detector and likely the XM radio. I may toss the Garmin in just for "in-case"ness. With a last name of Murphy, I've learned, boy, how I've learned.

Hopalong Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in