A Sight You Don't See Everyday. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

A Sight You Don't See Everyday.

This afternoon a B-17 flew over the house at about 1,000 feet slowly descending. Bombbay doors open. Quite the sight. It helps having the Air Zoo in town, but still something rarely seen anymore.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

Re: A Sight You Don't See Everyday.

Cool
kickin myself in the head, about 15 years ago had a chance to go up in one at a flyin for a 30 minute ride at $100.00 and passed.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Cool
kickin myself in the head, about 15 years ago had a chance to go up in one at a flyin for a 30 minute ride at $100.00 and passed.
I've learned - you can't pass on stuff like this... When an experience potential presents itself, answer yes, always. 2nd time a charm? Hopefully, but in many cases not likely.

Mark
'07 RT

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
This afternoon a B-17 flew over the house at about 1,000 feet slowly descending. Bombbay doors open. Quite the sight. It helps having the Air Zoo in town, but still something rarely seen anymore.
Wow...too bad you didn't get any pics of it. I would have loved to have seen that.

When it's time to go, you better go 100%
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Quote:
That was probably the 17 from the Collings Foundation. They were just here (Valpariso, IN.) the last couple of days. This year they are touring a B-17, B-24, B-25, and a P-51 Mustang around the country.

My son, who was 12 at the time, and I flew in the B-17 several years ago. One of those lifetime experiences.....It was $300.00 each, but after you land back at the airport, you want to get back in line again. Very cool!!

While we were flying the B-24 came up alongside of us and we flew in formation for a while, then made a bomb run over U.S. Steel in Gary, IN. While in flight you can move around inside to the different crew stations.

Those planes are restored to like new condition and your money goes to keeping them that way not to mention fuel. Even if you don't fly in them, you can walk thru them.

Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Got to see one up close last year a ride was out of my price range but it flew over my house 8 times that weekend. Sounded better and better every time. It's going to come back around soon can't wait to hear it again

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Reminds me of a story an aviation executive told our civic club around ten years ago: A B-17 had landed at our general aviation airport in Augusta (within the city limits) and had to take off early the next morning around 5:30 - 6:00AM.

To get airborne (because of the relatively short runway), the plane had to go to the very end of the runway which made the prop wash and engine noise carry across a busy street and into an older residential area. After all engines were roaring and the plane lifted off, the staff waited for the calls complaining about the racket. They got one call.

The lady caller asked if that was a B-17 that just taken off and she was told yes. The caller was then asked if she was calling to make a complaint. The caller said that she had met her husband when he was stationed in England during WW II serving on a flight crew on a B-17 during the war.

She said that morning she was awakened by the sweetest sound she had heard in a long time. She had just called to say thank you.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Thumbs up Re: A Sight You Don't See Everyday.

Quote:
One of those comes around here about every spring. 200 gallons per hour just to fly it! A month ago I was in Midland TX, HQ of the CAF. Got to watch the B-24, "Ol 927" takeoff. B-29 "Fifi" is in the hangar, down for maintence. If you are into aircraft this museum is a must see. http://airpowermuseum.org/index.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5502.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	18831  

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in