Ever had a Discogram? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:13 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Ever had a Discogram?

If a doctor ever tells you he wants you to have a Discogram tell him to try the improbable impossible art of self reproduction.

I had one Thursday and have been out of it for a couple of days now. Hurt like hell!!!

Reader's Digest version is they jam a needle into your disk, inflate the disk with dye until it hurts (they want it to feel like it does when it is bothering you) then they do a C.T. scan. I had to have three disks in my neck done. They gave me something to "Calm" me as they put it and it was pretty relaxing, until they shoved the needle into my neck (front to back). It didn't do anything for the pain. After the procedure I had a really sore neck and a headache that felt like the top of my head was gonna come off...or needed to. I won't know the results until a week from Tuesday.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Cat Herder

Re: Ever had a Discogram?

Lanette had a few of them done and she does not speakk all too fondly about the experience.
post #3 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Damn Jerry that sounds awful. When I first read the subject line I was thinking of a telegram with funky beat to it. Hope that cheered you up a bit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:49 pm

That sucks, Jerry...

I sure hope this helps find the problem... we have lots of doors to go through....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Jerry...I CAN RELATE!!!

Had it done on the lumbar section of my spine about a year ago. They did the L4-L5 and L5-S1 levels. I'd tell anybody considering it to try unconsidering it. It made for a bad afternoon.

The not-so-funny thing is the procedure is fully intended to make you hurt. They poke and say "does that hurt?"..."does it hurt more when I do this?..."how about know?". After about 30 seconds it all hurt so bad that my painometer was pegged and I couldn't tell if anything he did hurt more, less, or the same. So I felt that I couldn't give good information.

They should use that procedure at Guantanamo!!!

post #6 of 34 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:57 am

I will try to make it down to ride you MC and keep it from feeling your pain.
anything for a friend. sorry bout that.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #7 of 34 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 6:36 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Bulletin we have a bulletin ......... this just in hell yeah they hurt!

I hope the results are negative.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 9:04 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Well, I saw the Neurosurgeon yesterday...Finally. He is telling me that I need to have C-5 & 6 and C 6 & 7 fused together. He told me that they would remove the disks, clean out the cavity, insert some kind of plastic cylinder filled with artifical bone, then screw a titanium plate from the top of C-7 up to the bottom of C-5.

Any one have this done? Results good or bad? How is riding after it is done? Pain and numbness gone? etc etc etc? As you can see I am needing a lot of info before I take THIS plunge.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #9 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Well, I saw the Neurosurgeon yesterday...Finally. He is telling me that I need to have C-5 & 6 and C 6 & 7 fused together. He told me that they would remove the disks, clean out the cavity, insert some kind of plastic cylinder filled with artifical bone, then screw a titanium plate from the top of C-7 up to the bottom of C-5.
Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow. Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add, just ... ow! It'd be tough to decide which course is going to give a better quality of life, I'm sorry you're in that position.
post #10 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:33 pm

Quote:

Any one have this done? Results good or bad? How is riding after it is done? Pain and numbness gone? etc etc etc? As you can see I am needing a lot of info before I take THIS plunge.
I shared this with Sweetpea. Her surgery was a bit more radical, being fused from T-2 to S-1. She had one or two disks replaced in the lower lumbar, too, and has been pain free ever since. If it wasn't for the surgery she would not be riding today. Recovery was a bitch, but over the long term well worth it. A positive attitude is half the battle. Hopefully she will chime in soon.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #11 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:53 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thanks John, but what about guys like me who don't have a positive attitude?

"A bit more radical"

Thanks Bob...not very useful but thanks just the same. I do appreciate the sympathy though.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 6:38 pm

Quote:

I had C-4-C-5 fused ,using a mix of cadaver harvest and a good portion of my hip. The hip hurt way longer than the fusion(BTW-they also removed a disk and they rebuilt it w/afore mentioned crap)
Long-short back is great...possible long recovery though.

Mike
post #13 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:43 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thanks Mike,

Dr. told me that because my problem is degenerative disk disease replacing the disk is impossible so they are going with the plastic cylinder filled with artificial bone that eventually grows into both vertebra.

How long and how is the down time?

Any ill effects to riding afterwards?

Prior to the surgery did riding bother you?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #14 of 34 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:59 pm

Sorry to hear of your prob. My brother-inlaw had a lot of back work done. He had acually broke his back. His doc fused several together, he has no pain now from his back. The MS is kicking his a_ _.
post #15 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 6:56 am

Quote:
Thanks Mike,

Dr. told me that because my problem is degenerative disk disease replacing the disk is impossible so they are going with the plastic cylinder filled with artificial bone that eventually grows into both vertebra.

How long and how is the down time?

Any ill effects to riding afterwards?

Prior to the surgery did riding bother you?
Dang Jerry sorry about the bad news. Talk to Connie at CCR, she had all that work done the year of CCR Breckenridge. Same disks your talking about and the titanium plate.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:51 am

I am in need of L4, L5, and S1. The Dr's answer now is take handfulls of pain meds every three minutes and sleep the rest of your life away. I am still putting off the surgery as I have more good days then bad days, but when I have a bad day, it's three days of not even drinking water cause it makes me pee and I have to move to do that.
Ridding the bike accually helps me feel better as the short wheel base makes it shake and bounce a bit more and stimulates the spine. I have to have help getting on and off the bike but once I am on, I can go.

Good luck with your decissions.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #17 of 34 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Bones you are just lucky your parents didn't name you Flicka or Trigger.

Steve R, Connie who? I need to make a decision in the next couple of days to insure I get on the schedule for surgery during my business down time.

Country Bum...MS? As if he hasn't have enough problems?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #18 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 9:43 am

Hey Jerry...what did you decide? Gonna go through with it?

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:41 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Hey Jerry...what did you decide? Gonna go through with it?
Yeah,

I figure I will use the time I had blocked out for CCR to get it done and get started on the recovery.

Although I would rather be tossing back a good scotch or two, smoking a great cigar, and riding, I will be having my throat slit. Ahhhh...the good life

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #20 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:34 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Jerry Prayers your way for a full recovery. Keep us posted on your progress.

Stevie Shreeve
post #21 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Yeah,

I figure I will use the time I had blocked out for CCR to get it done and get started on the recovery.
Sigh. But you got that new bike and all.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #22 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Jeez they stick the needle in from the front and they're going to slit your throat to do this? I can't get that out of my brain now. You're a brave man.
post #23 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Jerry, the Connie that Steve R referred to is his wife. I've been busy last few days and just saw this thread. Since Steve & Connie are headed out Sattidy, he may not be monitoring close.

Sorry you're having to go through this. Hope it makes life & riding better. I would expect limited mobility of neck movement, may not be any worse than your current situation with the pain, though.

God bless your surgical team and give you a speedy recovery.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #24 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 3:09 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot
Jeez they stick the needle in from the front and they're going to slit your throat to do this? I can't get that out of my brain now. You're a brave man.
Brave or just very 2-pid, not sure which.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #25 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 3:09 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Jerry, the Connie that Steve R referred to is his wife. I've been busy last few days and just saw this thread. Since Steve & Connie are headed out Sattidy, he may not be monitoring close.

Sorry you're having to go through this. Hope it makes life & riding better. I would expect limited mobility of neck movement, may not be any worse than your current situation with the pain, though.

God bless your surgical team and give you a speedy recovery.
Thanks Benny!!!

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #26 of 34 Old Aug 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Jerry,

All the best for the procedure and your FULL recovery. If you need help with anything, I am only a few miles away! Maybe take out from Rico's delivered?

We will miss you in Midway!

Good luck!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #27 of 34 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:30 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Well now it is offical, I am getting my throat slit Thursday and they are going to remove two disks and fuse three vertebra (C 5, 6, & 7). Have to wear a brace for 4 weeks, no driving a car for 4 weeks, no riding for at least 6 weeks, and I can't lift anything more than 8# for a couple of weeks. Guess the wife is gonna have to help in the bathroom department (Don't I....she wish ).

Hoped to have had it done already while you all were having fun at Booze Bros., but didn't work out that way, but I hope it works and has me riding again, cause I hear Rapid City calling my name loud and clear.

They better have WiFi in the hospital

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #28 of 34 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Well now it is offical, I am getting my throat slit Thursday and they are going to remove two disks and fuse three vertebra (C 5, 6, & 7). Have to wear a brace for 4 weeks, no driving a car for 4 weeks, no riding for at least 6 weeks, and I can't lift anything more than 8# for a couple of weeks.
Can I just state again: ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow OW OW OW!

Makes my upcoming endoscopy seem like a walk in the park. A very dark, stinky park...

Good luck with the procedures and the recovery. Hopefully the result will be worth the downtime and discomfort and you'll be back in the saddle before winter hits.
post #29 of 34 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:41 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thanks,

Surgeon said I would be in the hospital at least one night, but due to the size of my neck and the amount of meat he would need to retract out of his way it might be longer.

Then I thought about what Monte just went through and said, "Hell doc I don't think I'll even need more than a local for this scratch. Can't we just do this in your office?"

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #30 of 34 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:27 am

Quote:
Thanks,

Surgeon said I would be in the hospital at least one night, but due to the size of my neck and the amount of meat he would need to retract out of his way it might be longer.

Then I thought about what Monte just went through and said, "Hell doc I don't think I'll even need more than a local for this scratch. Can't we just do this in your office?"
Hey, Jerry - best of luck to ya on the table!! We're thinkin' about you and hope you're able to shine some more chrome real soon!! Cya shortly?!?

BTW - Monte had the skull staples removed yesterday, from the looong incision. Then went out to lunch!!! He and Debbie met Grif & Sandy, and me and Cheryl; and the boy cleaned his plate --- agin'!!!!

Today, he's gonna make a disturbance in the Hill Country - more on that later!!

Again, Jerry - best of everythang in the OR.
post #31 of 34 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:06 am

Jerry,

Good luck! If you need help with anything I am able bodied and willing to pitch in. Just let me know. You have my cell#

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #32 of 34 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:13 am

Ya know, I'm prayin' fer ya, Jerry... this is one door ya gotta go through alone... so, you should be comfortable with the folks inside the room.....

Enjoy the drugs....remember, "they always win"....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #33 of 34 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:45 pm

Wow Jerry, good luck on ya.
We saw Monty Monday afternoon and he looked great...as always. If he can have his head cut into, you can make it OK with your throat.

Keep us posted.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #34 of 34 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Wow Jerry, good luck on ya.
We saw Monty Monday afternoon and he looked great...as always. If he can have his head cut into, you can make it OK with your throat.

Keep us posted.
Yeah, Jerry. If you need something holler. I don't know how to polish chrome,but I could learn. It's too bad it's not brain surgery since you do resemble the old boxers so much........

Hope to see you soon.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in