An Oil Man's View - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

An Oil Man's View

This was sent to me today thought it was interesting reading. I did not Snopes it but it does seem to have some common since.

An oil mans view

Bill spent nearly 50 years in the US oil and gas industry; most of his career was with the Phillips Petroleum Company. Bill is a descendant of Frank Phillips. Frank Phillips, along with his brother Lee Eldas (L.E.) Phillips, Sr., founded the original Phillips Petroleum Company in 1917 in Bartlesville, OK. Do you remember Phillips 66 gas stations? Phillips Petroleum Company merged with Conoco, Inc., in 2002 to form the current ConocoPhillips oil company.

So, when Bill talks about oil and gas issues, I tend to listen - very closely. I think that you will find Bill's thoughts and facts very revealing, very compelling and very difficult to argue with.

As you prepare to cast your crucial ballots this fall, please think long and hard about the far-reaching, cumulative effects of the US political philosophies, policies and legislation that have contributed to the current and future US oil supply situation.

May 28, 2008

"Big Oil"

Did you know that the United States does NOT have any big oil companies? It's true: the largest American oil company, Exxon Mobil, is only the 14th largest in the world, and is dwarfed by the really big oil companies--all owned by foreign governments or government-sponsored monopolies--that dominate the world's oil supply.

With 94% of the worlds oil supply locked up by foreign governments, most of which are hostile to the United States, the relatively puny American oil companies do not have access to enough crude oil to significantly affect the market and help bring prices down. Thus, ExxonMobil, a "small" oil company, buys 90% of the crude oil that it refines for the U.S. market from the big players, i.e., mostly-hostile foreign governments. The price at the U.S. pump is rising because the price the big oil companies charge ExxonMobil and the other small American companies for crude oil is going up as the value of the American dollar goes down. They will eventually bleed this country into printing even more money and we will go into runaway inflation once again as we did under the Carter Democratic reign.

This is obviously a tough situation for the American consumer. The irony is that it doesn't have to be that way. The United States--unlike, say, France--actually has vast petroleum reserves. It would be possible for American oil companies to develop those reserves, play a far bigger role in international markets, and deliver gas at the pump to American consumers at a much lower price, while creating many thousands of jobs for Americans. This would be infinitely preferable to shipping endless billions of dollars to Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Venezuela to be used in propping up their economies.

So, why doesn't it happen? Because the Democrat Party--aided, sadly, by a handful of Republicans--deliberately keeps gas prices high and our domestic oil companies small by putting most of our reserves off limits to development. China is now drilling in the Caribbean, off Cuba, but our own companies are barred by law from developing large oil fields off the coasts of Florida and California. Enormous oil-shale deposits in the Rocky Mountain states could go a long way toward supplying American consumers' needs, but the Democratic Congress won't allow those resources to be developed. ANWR contains vast petroleum reserves, but we don't know how vast, because Congress, not wanting the American people to know how badly its policies are hurting our economy, has made it illegal to explore and map those reserves, let alone develop them.

In short, all Americans are paying a terrible price for the Democratic Party's perverse energy policies. I own some small interests in tiny, 4 barrel-per-day oil wells in Wyoming. We have 14 agencies that have iron-hand jurisdiction over us. If we drop any oil on the ground when the refinery truck comes to pick up oil from our holding tanks, we are fined. Yet down the road the state will spray thousands of gallons of used oil on a dirt road to control dust. When it rains that oil runs into rivers and creeks. Yet a cup of oil on the ground at our wellhead is a $50,000 EPA fine plus additional fines from state regulating agencies. They treat oil as if it were plutonium that has the potential to leak into the environment.

We are fined if our dirt berms are not high enough around a holding tank, yet the truck that picks up our oil runs down the road at 60 mph with no berm around it. People wonder why there is no more exploration in this country. It's because of the regulators; people who have lived their whole lives doing nothing but imposing fines on small operators like us for doing mostly nothing.

So, America, enjoy your $4.00 per gallon gasoline. Your dollar is now worth 0.62 Euro-Cents. The lack of American production of GNP, the massive trade deficit (as labor markets have moved overseas to fight insanely high union imposed labor costs in America) and the run away printing of money (backed by nothing of value here in America) has caused the dollar to become more worthless on the international market. And that's where our oil comes from. It's paid for with dollars that become more worthless everyday. If we had just kept par with the Euro, we'd be paying $62 dollars per barrel for oil (42 gallons) or about $1.50 instead of $2.50 a gallon for crude oil.

What the US government also does not tell you is that it is the leaseholder and royalty recipient of most oil production, and receives
25% of the gross oil sales before we pay for electricity to lift the oil, and propane to keep the oil-water separators from freezing in the winters. We pay a pumper to visit each well every day plus we have equipment failures all the time. We pay for that out of our 75% of gross sales. The government does not share in any expenses to run any production well. So, if the Big Oil Companies are making record profits, then so is the federal government from its 25% tax on every molecule of oil sold to a refinery in this country. Why isn't the government on the stand for "record" profits? What you don't see is this 25% of the sales price of crude oil being siphoned away by the government. That money, plus the road taxes, state taxes, etc., amounts to over $1 per gallon of gasoline you are buying while the governments only admit to about 50 cents per gallon.

To all you Democrats, when you go vote for your candidate, a blazing liberal like Barrack Hussein Obama, just keep in mind that their liberal spending habits will further decrease the value of the American dollar on the world market and your gasoline costs will hike even higher. As they introduce more give-away programs, raise taxes on everyone to pay people not to produce or work, your dollar will continue to dwindle on the world market and you will be paying $10.00 per gallon at the next election. Cheap hydrocarbon fuel is all over.

Enjoy! Enjoy the fruits of your decision to elect these folks when you are there in that voting booth and you stab your pin through a Democrat's name.

William "Bill" Phillips

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Re: An Oil Man's View

yup.. we are "fouled in the riggin' " for sure.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:37 am

This is the link to see what snopes says about it. Question is who confirms what snopes says is true?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/bigoil.asp

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:59 am

I see some truths in the article, and some fables. I thought Chevron/Texaco was a U.S. owned company. Shell, I know, is Dutch owned.

The U.S. is sitting on the world's largest shale oil reserve. From what I'v heard, that is true. The problem is shale oil does not flow like normal crude oil. Normal crude contains gas "in solution", so when it's drilled and produced, the gas expansion as the pressure is released helps push the oil to the surface. Think of a can or bottle of soda. What happens when you shake the soda and open it? Once all that gas is released, there's no more drive for the oil. That's where all those pump jacks come into play. They literally start pumping the remaining "dead" oil from the ground. Once they can no longer pump the oil to the surface, they'll do gas (normally CO2) or water flooding to sweep the remaining oil out. That depends on the size of the field. Now, shale oil, on the other hand is dead from the get go and thick. So thick it has to be heated to make it mobile enough to bring to the surface, and that's where the problem comes in. It cost millions to heat the shale to bring it out of the ground. A very good friend of mine works for Shell and has been involved in a project in the Rockies to extract the shale oil. Shell has sunk millions into trying to develop the technology to bring it to the surface and hasn't found a cost effective way to do it yet.

So, yeah, there is some truth to the article, but I think most of it is just a Republican's slant on things.

BTW, I have no party affiliation. If it was up to me, Ron Paul would be the next Prez.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:01 am

What I would like to see is the states with bans on drilling pay more for gas than states that drill. It used to be that way, but now we all pay.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #6 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage

According to Snopes (and every major news agency), both McCain and Obama are currently opposed to opening ANWR to oil exploration.

So who to believe, a website that prides itself in exposing hysterical chain letter emails, or another fear-mongering copy & paste email post? Hmm.

Never mind that Bush senior signed the ANWR oil ban, which his son recently lifted. And this chain email gets passed around just in time for the Congressional vote to come up, never mind the Presidential vote.
Sure folks are getting pretty fed up with the price of gas, but nothing in that email guarantees a reduction in the price of oil, and consequently of gas.

It's simply another right wing fear and smear campaign, where it's much easier to prey on peoples emotions than to speak the truth.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
According to Snopes (and every major news agency), both McCain and Obama are currently opposed to opening ANWR to oil exploration.

So who to believe, a website that prides itself in exposing hysterical chain letter emails, or another fear-mongering copy & paste email post? Hmm.

Never mind that Bush senior signed the ANWR oil ban, which his son recently lifted. And this chain email gets passed around just in time for the Congressional vote to come up, never mind the Presidential vote.
Sure folks are getting pretty fed up with the price of gas, but nothing in that email guarantees a reduction in the price of oil, and consequently of gas.

It's simply another right wing fear and smear campaign, where it's much easier to prey on peoples emotions than to speak the truth.
Ahhh....the old right wing conspiricy theory! Haven't had one of those for a while

post #8 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:31 am

I like this better: http://www.pickensplan.com/

NomDePlume
Paris
السلام عليكم
post #9 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:33 am

I tend to dismiss these type of rants, when it is obvious the 'facts' they claim are different from recorded history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
They will eventually bleed this country into printing even more money and we will go into runaway inflation once again as we did under the Carter Democratic reign.
Uh...it was Nixon (Republican) who took the U.S. *off* of the gold standard, which was *intended* to make the value of the U.S. Dollar fall. Inflation hit double digits as Ford (another Republican) took over. That was also around the time when they did gasoline rationing, long lines at the pumps, and prices doubled. This was early to mid 1970's. Carter was more recent, like 1980's, so its a little fresher in peoples minds.

Quote:
With 94% of the worlds oil supply locked up by foreign governments, most of which are hostile to the United States, the relatively puny American oil companies do not have access to enough crude oil to significantly affect the market and help bring prices down.
I still have not seen all of the 'NO GAS' signs, like I did in the 70s, nor the mile long lines at the pumps. Lack of supply is not evident where I fill my tank.

Quote:
Did you know that the United States does NOT have any big oil companies? It's true: the largest American oil company, Exxon Mobil, is only the 14th largest in the world, and is dwarfed by the really big oil companies--all owned by foreign governments or government-sponsored monopolies--that dominate the world's oil supply.
ExxonMobil itself claims to to be the largest publicly owned company in the world. That sound *big* to me.
Quote:
So, America, enjoy your $4.00 per gallon gasoline.
So, if the Big Oil Companies are making record profits
ExxonMobil also claims "About 75 percent of ExxonMobil’s earnings come from outside the U.S." That $4.00/gallon translates to approx £2/gallon or £0.50/litre in London, or 0.63 Euro per liter. From posts I've seen on this site, fuel is 1/2 the price in the US as it is elsewhere. So where are the "75%" of the profits coming from? The American people? I think not. While $4.00 per gallon seems high compared to the past, its still lower than elsewhere.

Here 's my choice for president

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #10 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Here is what Al Gore relased yesterday...interesting read.

Tom

**EMBARGOED – For Delivery** 12:00pm EDT
July 17, 2008
A Generational Challenge to Repower America (as prepared)
D.A.R. Constitution Hall
Washington, D.C.
Ladies and gentlemen:
There are times in the history of our nation when our very way of life depends upon dispelling illusions and awakening to the challenge of a present danger. In such moments, we are called upon to move quickly and boldly to shake off complacency, throw aside old habits and rise, clear-eyed and alert, to the necessity of big changes. Those who, for whatever reason, refuse to do their part must either be persuaded to join the effort or asked to step aside. This is such a moment. The survival of the United States of America as we know it is at risk. And even more – if more should be required – the future of human civilization is at stake.
I don’t remember a time in our country when so many things seemed to be going so wrong simultaneously. Our economy is in terrible shape and getting worse, gasoline prices are increasing dramatically, and so are electricity rates. Jobs are being outsourced. Home mortgages are in trouble. Banks, automobile companies and other institutions we depend upon are under growing pressure. Distinguished senior business leaders are telling us that this is just the beginning unless we find the courage to make some major changes quickly.
The climate crisis, in particular, is getting a lot worse – much more quickly than predicted. Scientists with access to data from Navy submarines traversing underneath the North polar ice cap have warned that there is now a 75 percent chance that within five years the entire ice cap will completely disappear during the summer months. This will further increase the melting pressure on Greenland. According to experts, the Jakobshavn glacier, one of Greenland’s largest, is moving at a faster rate than ever before, losing 20 million tons of ice every day, equivalent to the amount of water used every year by the residents of New York City.
Two major studies from military intelligence experts have warned our leaders about the dangerous national security implications of the climate crisis, including the possibility of hundreds of millions of climate refugees destabilizing nations around the world.
Just two days ago, 27 senior statesmen and retired military leaders warned of the national security threat from an “energy tsunami” that would be triggered by a loss of our access to foreign oil. Meanwhile, the war in Iraq continues, and now the war in Afghanistan appears to be getting worse.
And by the way, our weather sure is getting strange, isn’t it? There seem to be more tornadoes than in living memory, longer droughts, bigger downpours and record floods. Unprecedented fires are burning in California and elsewhere in the American West. Higher temperatures lead to drier vegetation that makes kindling for mega-fires of the kind that have been raging in Canada, Greece, Russia, China, South America, Australia and Africa. Scientists in the Department of Geophysics and Planetary Science at Tel Aviv University tell us that for every one degree increase in temperature, lightning strikes will go up another 10 percent. And it is lightning, after all, that is principally responsible for igniting the conflagration in California today.
Like a lot of people, it seems to me that all these problems are bigger than any of the solutions that have thus far been proposed for them, and that’s been worrying me.
I’m convinced that one reason we’ve seemed paralyzed in the face of these crises is our tendency to offer old solutions to each crisis separately – without taking the others into account. And these outdated proposals have not only been ineffective – they almost always make the other crises even worse.
Yet when we look at all three of these seemingly intractable challenges at the same time, we can see the common thread running through them, deeply ironic in its simplicity: our dangerous over-reliance on carbon-based fuels is at the core of all three of these challenges – the economic, environmental and national security crises.
We’re borrowing money from China to buy oil from the Persian Gulf to burn it in ways that destroy the planet. Every bit of that’s got to change.
But if we grab hold of that common thread and pull it hard, all of these complex problems begin to unravel and we will find that we’re holding the answer to all of them right in our hand.
The answer is to end our reliance on carbon-based fuels.
In my search for genuinely effective answers to the climate crisis, I have held a series of “solutions summits” with engineers, scientists, and CEOs. In those discussions, one thing has become abundantly clear: when you connect the dots, it turns out that the real solutions to the climate crisis are the very same measures needed to renew our economy and escape the trap of ever-rising energy prices. Moreover, they are also the very same solutions we need to guarantee our national security without having to go to war in the Persian Gulf.
What if we could use fuels that are not expensive, don't cause pollution and are abundantly available right here at home?
We have such fuels. Scientists have confirmed that enough solar energy falls on the surface of the earth every 40 minutes to meet 100 percent of the entire world’s energy 2
needs for a full year. Tapping just a small portion of this solar energy could provide all of the electricity America uses.
And enough wind power blows through the Midwest corridor every day to also meet 100 percent of US electricity demand. Geothermal energy, similarly, is capable of providing enormous supplies of electricity for America.
The quickest, cheapest and best way to start using all this renewable energy is in the production of electricity. In fact, we can start right now using solar power, wind power and geothermal power to make electricity for our homes and businesses.
But to make this exciting potential a reality, and truly solve our nation’s problems, we need a new start.
That’s why I’m proposing today a strategic initiative designed to free us from the crises that are holding us down and to regain control of our own destiny. It’s not the only thing we need to do. But this strategic challenge is the lynchpin of a bold new strategy needed to re-power America.
Today I challenge our nation to commit to producing 100 percent of our electricity from renewable energy and truly clean carbon-free sources within 10 years.
This goal is achievable, affordable and transformative. It represents a challenge to all Americans – in every walk of life: to our political leaders, entrepreneurs, innovators, engineers, and to every citizen.
A few years ago, it would not have been possible to issue such a challenge. But here’s what’s changed: the sharp cost reductions now beginning to take place in solar, wind, and geothermal power – coupled with the recent dramatic price increases for oil and coal – have radically changed the economics of energy.
When I first went to Congress 32 years ago, I listened to experts testify that if oil ever got to $35 a barrel, then renewable sources of energy would become competitive. Well, today, the price of oil is over $135 per barrel. And sure enough, billions of dollars of new investment are flowing into the development of concentrated solar thermal, photovoltaics, windmills, geothermal plants, and a variety of ingenious new ways to improve our efficiency and conserve presently wasted energy.
And as the demand for renewable energy grows, the costs will continue to fall. Let me give you one revealing example: the price of the specialized silicon used to make solar cells was recently as high as $300 per kilogram. But the newest contracts have prices as low as $50 a kilogram.
You know, the same thing happened with computer chips – also made out of silicon. The price paid for the same performance came down by 50 percent every 18 months – year after year, and that’s what’s happened for 40 years in a row.
To those who argue that we do not yet have the technology to accomplish these results with renewable energy: I ask them to come with me to meet the entrepreneurs who will drive this revolution. I’ve seen what they are doing and I have no doubt that we can meet this challenge.
To those who say the costs are still too high: I ask them to consider whether the costs of oil and coal will ever stop increasing if we keep relying on quickly depleting energy sources to feed a rapidly growing demand all around the world. When demand for oil and coal increases, their price goes up. When demand for solar cells increases, the price often comes down.
When we send money to foreign countries to buy nearly 70 percent of the oil we use every day, they build new skyscrapers and we lose jobs. When we spend that money building solar arrays and windmills, we build competitive industries and gain jobs here at home.
Of course there are those who will tell us this can't be done. Some of the voices we hear are the defenders of the status quo – the ones with a vested interest in perpetuating the current system, no matter how high a price the rest of us will have to pay. But even those who reap the profits of the carbon age have to recognize the inevitability of its demise. As one OPEC oil minister observed, “The Stone Age didn’t end because of a shortage of stones.”
To those who say 10 years is not enough time, I respectfully ask them to consider what the world's scientists are telling us about the risks we face if we don’t act in 10 years. The leading experts predict that we have less than 10 years to make dramatic changes in our global warming pollution lest we lose our ability to ever recover from this environmental crisis. When the use of oil and coal goes up, pollution goes up. When the use of solar, wind and geothermal increases, pollution comes down.
To those who say the challenge is not politically viable: I suggest they go before the American people and try to defend the status quo. Then bear witness to the people's appetite for change.
I for one do not believe our country can withstand 10 more years of the status quo. Our families cannot stand 10 more years of gas price increases. Our workers cannot stand 10 more years of job losses and outsourcing of factories. Our economy cannot stand 10 more years of sending $2 billion every 24 hours to foreign countries for oil. And our soldiers and their families cannot take another 10 years of repeated troop deployments to dangerous regions that just happen to have large oil supplies.
What could we do instead for the next 10 years? What should we do during the next 10 years? Some of our greatest accomplishments as a nation have resulted from commitments to reach a goal that fell well beyond the next election: the Marshall Plan, Social Security, the interstate highway system. But a political promise to do something
40 years from now is universally ignored because everyone knows that it’s meaningless. Ten years is about the maximum time that we as a nation can hold a steady aim and hit our target.
When President John F. Kennedy challenged our nation to land a man on the moon and bring him back safely in 10 years, many people doubted we could accomplish that goal. But 8 years and 2 months later, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the surface of the moon.
To be sure, reaching the goal of 100 percent renewable and truly clean electricity within 10 years will require us to overcome many obstacles. At present, for example, we do not have a unified national grid that is sufficiently advanced to link the areas where the sun shines and the wind blows to the cities in the East and the West that need the electricity. Our national electric grid is critical infrastructure, as vital to the health and security of our economy as our highways and telecommunication networks. Today, our grids are antiquated, fragile, and vulnerable to cascading failure. Power outages and defects in the current grid system cost US businesses more than $120 billion dollars a year. It has to be upgraded anyway.
We could further increase the value and efficiency of a Unified National Grid by helping our struggling auto giants switch to the manufacture of plug-in electric cars. An electric vehicle fleet would sharply reduce the cost of driving a car, reduce pollution, and increase the flexibility of our electricity grid.
At the same time, of course, we need to greatly improve our commitment to efficiency and conservation. That’s the best investment we can make.
America's transition to renewable energy sources must also include adequate provisions to assist those Americans who would unfairly face hardship. For example, we must recognize those who have toiled in dangerous conditions to bring us our present energy supply. We should guarantee good jobs in the fresh air and sunshine for any coal miner displaced by impacts on the coal industry. Every single one of them.
Of course, we could and should speed up this transition by insisting that the price of carbon-based energy include the costs of the environmental damage it causes. I have long supported a sharp reduction in payroll taxes with the difference made up in CO2 taxes. We should tax what we burn, not what we earn. This is the single most important policy change we can make.
In order to foster international cooperation, it is also essential that the United States rejoin the global community and lead efforts to secure an international treaty at Copenhagen in December of next year that includes a cap on CO2 emissions and a global partnership that recognizes the necessity of addressing the threats of extreme poverty and disease as part of the world’s agenda for solving the climate crisis.
Of course the greatest obstacle to meeting the challenge of 100 percent renewable electricity in 10 years may be the deep dysfunction of our politics and our self-governing system as it exists today. In recent years, our politics has tended toward incremental proposals made up of small policies designed to avoid offending special interests, alternating with occasional baby steps in the right direction. Our democracy has become sclerotic at a time when these crises require boldness.
It is only a truly dysfunctional system that would buy into the perverse logic that the short-term answer to high gasoline prices is drilling for more oil ten years from now.
Am I the only one who finds it strange that our government so often adopts a so-called solution that has absolutely nothing to do with the problem it is supposed to address? When people rightly complain about higher gasoline prices, we propose to give more money to the oil companies and pretend that they’re going to bring gasoline prices down. It will do nothing of the sort, and everyone knows it. If we keep going back to the same policies that have never ever worked in the past and have served only to produce the highest gasoline prices in history alongside the greatest oil company profits in history, nobody should be surprised if we get the same result over and over again. But the Congress may be poised to move in that direction anyway because some of them are being stampeded by lobbyists for special interests that know how to make the system work for them instead of the American people.
If you want to know the truth about gasoline prices, here it is: the exploding demand for oil, especially in places like China, is overwhelming the rate of new discoveries by so much that oil prices are almost certain to continue upward over time no matter what the oil companies promise. And politicians cannot bring gasoline prices down in the short term.
However, there actually is one extremely effective way to bring the costs of driving a car way down within a few short years. The way to bring gas prices down is to end our dependence on oil and use the renewable sources that can give us the equivalent of $1 per gallon gasoline.
Many Americans have begun to wonder whether or not we’ve simply lost our appetite for bold policy solutions. And folks who claim to know how our system works these days have told us we might as well forget about our political system doing anything bold, especially if it is contrary to the wishes of special interests. And I’ve got to admit, that sure seems to be the way things have been going. But I’ve begun to hear different voices in this country from people who are not only tired of baby steps and special interest politics, but are hungry for a new, different and bold approach.
We are on the eve of a presidential election. We are in the midst of an international climate treaty process that will conclude its work before the end of the first year of the new president's term. It is a great error to say that the United States must wait for others to join us in this matter. In fact, we must move first, because that is the key to getting others to follow; and because moving first is in our own national interest. 6
So I ask you to join with me to call on every candidate, at every level, to accept this challenge – for America to be running on 100 percent zero-carbon electricity in 10 years. It's time for us to move beyond empty rhetoric. We need to act now.
This is a generational moment. A moment when we decide our own path and our collective fate. I'm asking you – each of you – to join me and build this future. Please join the WE campaign at wecansolveit.org. We need you. And we need you now. We're committed to changing not just light bulbs, but laws. And laws will only change with leadership.
On July 16, 1969, the United States of America was finally ready to meet President Kennedy’s challenge of landing Americans on the moon. I will never forget standing beside my father a few miles from the launch site, waiting for the giant Saturn 5 rocket to lift Apollo 11 into the sky. I was a young man, 21 years old, who had graduated from college a month before and was enlisting in the United States Army three weeks later.
I will never forget the inspiration of those minutes. The power and the vibration of the giant rocket’s engines shook my entire body. As I watched the rocket rise, slowly at first and then with great speed, the sound was deafening. We craned our necks to follow its path until we were looking straight up into the air. And then four days later, I watched along with hundreds of millions of others around the world as Neil Armstrong took one small step to the surface of the moon and changed the history of the human race.
We must now lift our nation to reach another goal that will change history. Our entire civilization depends upon us now embarking on a new journey of exploration and discovery. Our success depends on our willingness as a people to undertake this journey and to complete it within 10 years. Once again, we have an opportunity to take a giant leap for humankind.

RTTOMMY

Current Ride

Past Rides
2007 R1200RT
2003 BMW K1200GT
1994 Kawasaki 1100D Ninja
1991 Yamaha FJ 12001976
1985 Kawasaki 1100 Eddie Lawson Replica
1982 Yamaha Seca 7501982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
Yamaha RD 400 (wheelie crazy!)
post #11 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:50 pm

I can't believe that meathead was almost elected president...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTommy
Here is what Al Gore relased yesterday...interesting read.

Tom

**EMBARGOED – For Delivery** 12:00pm EDT
July 17, 2008
A Generational Challenge to Repower America (as prepared)
D.A.R. Constitution Hall
Washington, D.C.
Ladies and gentlemen:
There are times in the history of our nation when our very way of life depends upon dispelling illusions and awakening to the challenge of a present danger. In such moments, we are called upon to move quickly and boldly to shake off complacency, throw aside old habits and rise, clear-eyed and alert, to the necessity of big changes. Those who, for whatever reason, refuse to do their part must either be persuaded to join the effort or asked to step aside. This is such a moment. The survival of the United States of America as we know it is at risk. And even more – if more should be required – the future of human civilization is at stake.
I don’t remember a time in our country when so many things seemed to be going so wrong simultaneously. Our economy is in terrible shape and getting worse, gasoline prices are increasing dramatically, and so are electricity rates. Jobs are being outsourced. Home mortgages are in trouble. Banks, automobile companies and other institutions we depend upon are under growing pressure. Distinguished senior business leaders are telling us that this is just the beginning unless we find the courage to make some major changes quickly.
The climate crisis, in particular, is getting a lot worse – much more quickly than predicted. Scientists with access to data from Navy submarines traversing underneath the North polar ice cap have warned that there is now a 75 percent chance that within five years the entire ice cap will completely disappear during the summer months. This will further increase the melting pressure on Greenland. According to experts, the Jakobshavn glacier, one of Greenland’s largest, is moving at a faster rate than ever before, losing 20 million tons of ice every day, equivalent to the amount of water used every year by the residents of New York City.
Two major studies from military intelligence experts have warned our leaders about the dangerous national security implications of the climate crisis, including the possibility of hundreds of millions of climate refugees destabilizing nations around the world.
Just two days ago, 27 senior statesmen and retired military leaders warned of the national security threat from an “energy tsunami” that would be triggered by a loss of our access to foreign oil. Meanwhile, the war in Iraq continues, and now the war in Afghanistan appears to be getting worse.
And by the way, our weather sure is getting strange, isn’t it? There seem to be more tornadoes than in living memory, longer droughts, bigger downpours and record floods. Unprecedented fires are burning in California and elsewhere in the American West. Higher temperatures lead to drier vegetation that makes kindling for mega-fires of the kind that have been raging in Canada, Greece, Russia, China, South America, Australia and Africa. Scientists in the Department of Geophysics and Planetary Science at Tel Aviv University tell us that for every one degree increase in temperature, lightning strikes will go up another 10 percent. And it is lightning, after all, that is principally responsible for igniting the conflagration in California today.
Like a lot of people, it seems to me that all these problems are bigger than any of the solutions that have thus far been proposed for them, and that’s been worrying me.
I’m convinced that one reason we’ve seemed paralyzed in the face of these crises is our tendency to offer old solutions to each crisis separately – without taking the others into account. And these outdated proposals have not only been ineffective – they almost always make the other crises even worse.
Yet when we look at all three of these seemingly intractable challenges at the same time, we can see the common thread running through them, deeply ironic in its simplicity: our dangerous over-reliance on carbon-based fuels is at the core of all three of these challenges – the economic, environmental and national security crises.
We’re borrowing money from China to buy oil from the Persian Gulf to burn it in ways that destroy the planet. Every bit of that’s got to change.
But if we grab hold of that common thread and pull it hard, all of these complex problems begin to unravel and we will find that we’re holding the answer to all of them right in our hand.
The answer is to end our reliance on carbon-based fuels.
In my search for genuinely effective answers to the climate crisis, I have held a series of “solutions summits” with engineers, scientists, and CEOs. In those discussions, one thing has become abundantly clear: when you connect the dots, it turns out that the real solutions to the climate crisis are the very same measures needed to renew our economy and escape the trap of ever-rising energy prices. Moreover, they are also the very same solutions we need to guarantee our national security without having to go to war in the Persian Gulf.
What if we could use fuels that are not expensive, don't cause pollution and are abundantly available right here at home?
We have such fuels. Scientists have confirmed that enough solar energy falls on the surface of the earth every 40 minutes to meet 100 percent of the entire world’s energy 2
needs for a full year. Tapping just a small portion of this solar energy could provide all of the electricity America uses.
And enough wind power blows through the Midwest corridor every day to also meet 100 percent of US electricity demand. Geothermal energy, similarly, is capable of providing enormous supplies of electricity for America.
The quickest, cheapest and best way to start using all this renewable energy is in the production of electricity. In fact, we can start right now using solar power, wind power and geothermal power to make electricity for our homes and businesses.
But to make this exciting potential a reality, and truly solve our nation’s problems, we need a new start.
That’s why I’m proposing today a strategic initiative designed to free us from the crises that are holding us down and to regain control of our own destiny. It’s not the only thing we need to do. But this strategic challenge is the lynchpin of a bold new strategy needed to re-power America.
Today I challenge our nation to commit to producing 100 percent of our electricity from renewable energy and truly clean carbon-free sources within 10 years.
This goal is achievable, affordable and transformative. It represents a challenge to all Americans – in every walk of life: to our political leaders, entrepreneurs, innovators, engineers, and to every citizen.
A few years ago, it would not have been possible to issue such a challenge. But here’s what’s changed: the sharp cost reductions now beginning to take place in solar, wind, and geothermal power – coupled with the recent dramatic price increases for oil and coal – have radically changed the economics of energy.
When I first went to Congress 32 years ago, I listened to experts testify that if oil ever got to $35 a barrel, then renewable sources of energy would become competitive. Well, today, the price of oil is over $135 per barrel. And sure enough, billions of dollars of new investment are flowing into the development of concentrated solar thermal, photovoltaics, windmills, geothermal plants, and a variety of ingenious new ways to improve our efficiency and conserve presently wasted energy.
And as the demand for renewable energy grows, the costs will continue to fall. Let me give you one revealing example: the price of the specialized silicon used to make solar cells was recently as high as $300 per kilogram. But the newest contracts have prices as low as $50 a kilogram.
You know, the same thing happened with computer chips – also made out of silicon. The price paid for the same performance came down by 50 percent every 18 months – year after year, and that’s what’s happened for 40 years in a row.
To those who argue that we do not yet have the technology to accomplish these results with renewable energy: I ask them to come with me to meet the entrepreneurs who will drive this revolution. I’ve seen what they are doing and I have no doubt that we can meet this challenge.
To those who say the costs are still too high: I ask them to consider whether the costs of oil and coal will ever stop increasing if we keep relying on quickly depleting energy sources to feed a rapidly growing demand all around the world. When demand for oil and coal increases, their price goes up. When demand for solar cells increases, the price often comes down.
When we send money to foreign countries to buy nearly 70 percent of the oil we use every day, they build new skyscrapers and we lose jobs. When we spend that money building solar arrays and windmills, we build competitive industries and gain jobs here at home.
Of course there are those who will tell us this can't be done. Some of the voices we hear are the defenders of the status quo – the ones with a vested interest in perpetuating the current system, no matter how high a price the rest of us will have to pay. But even those who reap the profits of the carbon age have to recognize the inevitability of its demise. As one OPEC oil minister observed, “The Stone Age didn’t end because of a shortage of stones.”
To those who say 10 years is not enough time, I respectfully ask them to consider what the world's scientists are telling us about the risks we face if we don’t act in 10 years. The leading experts predict that we have less than 10 years to make dramatic changes in our global warming pollution lest we lose our ability to ever recover from this environmental crisis. When the use of oil and coal goes up, pollution goes up. When the use of solar, wind and geothermal increases, pollution comes down.
To those who say the challenge is not politically viable: I suggest they go before the American people and try to defend the status quo. Then bear witness to the people's appetite for change.
I for one do not believe our country can withstand 10 more years of the status quo. Our families cannot stand 10 more years of gas price increases. Our workers cannot stand 10 more years of job losses and outsourcing of factories. Our economy cannot stand 10 more years of sending $2 billion every 24 hours to foreign countries for oil. And our soldiers and their families cannot take another 10 years of repeated troop deployments to dangerous regions that just happen to have large oil supplies.
What could we do instead for the next 10 years? What should we do during the next 10 years? Some of our greatest accomplishments as a nation have resulted from commitments to reach a goal that fell well beyond the next election: the Marshall Plan, Social Security, the interstate highway system. But a political promise to do something
40 years from now is universally ignored because everyone knows that it’s meaningless. Ten years is about the maximum time that we as a nation can hold a steady aim and hit our target.
When President John F. Kennedy challenged our nation to land a man on the moon and bring him back safely in 10 years, many people doubted we could accomplish that goal. But 8 years and 2 months later, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the surface of the moon.
To be sure, reaching the goal of 100 percent renewable and truly clean electricity within 10 years will require us to overcome many obstacles. At present, for example, we do not have a unified national grid that is sufficiently advanced to link the areas where the sun shines and the wind blows to the cities in the East and the West that need the electricity. Our national electric grid is critical infrastructure, as vital to the health and security of our economy as our highways and telecommunication networks. Today, our grids are antiquated, fragile, and vulnerable to cascading failure. Power outages and defects in the current grid system cost US businesses more than $120 billion dollars a year. It has to be upgraded anyway.
We could further increase the value and efficiency of a Unified National Grid by helping our struggling auto giants switch to the manufacture of plug-in electric cars. An electric vehicle fleet would sharply reduce the cost of driving a car, reduce pollution, and increase the flexibility of our electricity grid.
At the same time, of course, we need to greatly improve our commitment to efficiency and conservation. That’s the best investment we can make.
America's transition to renewable energy sources must also include adequate provisions to assist those Americans who would unfairly face hardship. For example, we must recognize those who have toiled in dangerous conditions to bring us our present energy supply. We should guarantee good jobs in the fresh air and sunshine for any coal miner displaced by impacts on the coal industry. Every single one of them.
Of course, we could and should speed up this transition by insisting that the price of carbon-based energy include the costs of the environmental damage it causes. I have long supported a sharp reduction in payroll taxes with the difference made up in CO2 taxes. We should tax what we burn, not what we earn. This is the single most important policy change we can make.
In order to foster international cooperation, it is also essential that the United States rejoin the global community and lead efforts to secure an international treaty at Copenhagen in December of next year that includes a cap on CO2 emissions and a global partnership that recognizes the necessity of addressing the threats of extreme poverty and disease as part of the world’s agenda for solving the climate crisis.
Of course the greatest obstacle to meeting the challenge of 100 percent renewable electricity in 10 years may be the deep dysfunction of our politics and our self-governing system as it exists today. In recent years, our politics has tended toward incremental proposals made up of small policies designed to avoid offending special interests, alternating with occasional baby steps in the right direction. Our democracy has become sclerotic at a time when these crises require boldness.
It is only a truly dysfunctional system that would buy into the perverse logic that the short-term answer to high gasoline prices is drilling for more oil ten years from now.
Am I the only one who finds it strange that our government so often adopts a so-called solution that has absolutely nothing to do with the problem it is supposed to address? When people rightly complain about higher gasoline prices, we propose to give more money to the oil companies and pretend that they’re going to bring gasoline prices down. It will do nothing of the sort, and everyone knows it. If we keep going back to the same policies that have never ever worked in the past and have served only to produce the highest gasoline prices in history alongside the greatest oil company profits in history, nobody should be surprised if we get the same result over and over again. But the Congress may be poised to move in that direction anyway because some of them are being stampeded by lobbyists for special interests that know how to make the system work for them instead of the American people.
If you want to know the truth about gasoline prices, here it is: the exploding demand for oil, especially in places like China, is overwhelming the rate of new discoveries by so much that oil prices are almost certain to continue upward over time no matter what the oil companies promise. And politicians cannot bring gasoline prices down in the short term.
However, there actually is one extremely effective way to bring the costs of driving a car way down within a few short years. The way to bring gas prices down is to end our dependence on oil and use the renewable sources that can give us the equivalent of $1 per gallon gasoline.
Many Americans have begun to wonder whether or not we’ve simply lost our appetite for bold policy solutions. And folks who claim to know how our system works these days have told us we might as well forget about our political system doing anything bold, especially if it is contrary to the wishes of special interests. And I’ve got to admit, that sure seems to be the way things have been going. But I’ve begun to hear different voices in this country from people who are not only tired of baby steps and special interest politics, but are hungry for a new, different and bold approach.
We are on the eve of a presidential election. We are in the midst of an international climate treaty process that will conclude its work before the end of the first year of the new president's term. It is a great error to say that the United States must wait for others to join us in this matter. In fact, we must move first, because that is the key to getting others to follow; and because moving first is in our own national interest. 6
So I ask you to join with me to call on every candidate, at every level, to accept this challenge – for America to be running on 100 percent zero-carbon electricity in 10 years. It's time for us to move beyond empty rhetoric. We need to act now.
This is a generational moment. A moment when we decide our own path and our collective fate. I'm asking you – each of you – to join me and build this future. Please join the WE campaign at wecansolveit.org. We need you. And we need you now. We're committed to changing not just light bulbs, but laws. And laws will only change with leadership.
On July 16, 1969, the United States of America was finally ready to meet President Kennedy’s challenge of landing Americans on the moon. I will never forget standing beside my father a few miles from the launch site, waiting for the giant Saturn 5 rocket to lift Apollo 11 into the sky. I was a young man, 21 years old, who had graduated from college a month before and was enlisting in the United States Army three weeks later.
I will never forget the inspiration of those minutes. The power and the vibration of the giant rocket’s engines shook my entire body. As I watched the rocket rise, slowly at first and then with great speed, the sound was deafening. We craned our necks to follow its path until we were looking straight up into the air. And then four days later, I watched along with hundreds of millions of others around the world as Neil Armstrong took one small step to the surface of the moon and changed the history of the human race.
We must now lift our nation to reach another goal that will change history. Our entire civilization depends upon us now embarking on a new journey of exploration and discovery. Our success depends on our willingness as a people to undertake this journey and to complete it within 10 years. Once again, we have an opportunity to take a giant leap for humankind.

post #12 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 2:31 pm

He certainly has turned into an alarmist. Just goes to show what happens when you invent the internet. Goes straight to your head, and the next thing ya know you're an expert on everything.

Hey, didn't I read somewhere that there's a group of scientists that now say this whole global warming thing is caused by all the studd we did to clean up the atmosphere. They purpose we had created a protective layer that kept the harmful rays out and now that we've cut back on all the nasty emissions, that layer is gone and the sun is now free to heat up the earth.

Just proves to me, nobody really knows what's causing the global warming thing. My personal theory is that this is just evolution. What killed off the dinosaurs? All that methane they produced?

Marshall, Tx

post #13 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Al Gore and his tree hugging hippie asshole friends can all line up and blow me.
What a bunch of bullshit. He can go fuck himself.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #14 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Al Gore and his tree hugging hippie asshole friends can all line up and blow me.
What a bunch of bullshit. He can go fuck himself.

F
Ditto

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
post #15 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
I tend to dismiss these type of rants, when it is obvious the 'facts' they claim are different from recorded history.

Uh...it was Nixon (Republican) who took the U.S. *off* of the gold standard, which was *intended* to make the value of the U.S. Dollar fall. Inflation hit double digits as Ford (another Republican) took over. That was also around the time when they did gasoline rationing, long lines at the pumps, and prices doubled. This was early to mid 1970's. Carter was more recent, like 1980's, so its a little fresher in peoples minds.

I still have not seen all of the 'NO GAS' signs, like I did in the 70s, nor the mile long lines at the pumps. Lack of supply is not evident where I fill my tank.

ExxonMobil itself claims to to be the largest publicly owned company in the world. That sound *big* to me.

ExxonMobil also claims "About 75 percent of ExxonMobil’s earnings come from outside the U.S." That $4.00/gallon translates to approx £2/gallon or £0.50/litre in London, or 0.63 Euro per liter. From posts I've seen on this site, fuel is 1/2 the price in the US as it is elsewhere. So where are the "75%" of the profits coming from? The American people? I think not. While $4.00 per gallon seems high compared to the past, its still lower than elsewhere.

Here 's my choice for president
Well Sparky - I'll let you in on a few things: Carter WAS President in the 70's and through the first Oil Crisis. Reagan was elected in 1980. The "Supply" problem is not anywhere near where it was in the 70's but the Demand is higher than the Supply, thus helping to drive the price up. I know it's only one factor; but it's a Big one.

Exxon IS the largest publicly owned oil company - But - no were near the largest oil company. It's just that the biggest ones are owned or controlled directly by governments of the countries they are in.
As for what the U.S. pays for fuel; Europe and the U.S. pay the same for a gallon of gas - But - the European countries add much more taxes to that fuel than the U.S. does. In the U.S. it's about $0.18 per gallon plus State and Local taxes.
I hope this clears up a few things for you.

Thank You

Jim
-------------------
2000 Canyon Red K1200LT (new to me)
1980 Susuki 850GL (given to my brother)
post #16 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 4:30 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Just proves to me, nobody really knows what's causing the global warming thing. My personal theory is that this is just evolution. What killed off the dinosaurs? All that methane they produced?
Just read my sig line...

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #17 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 4:05 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantime
I can't believe that meathead was almost elected president...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
Ditto
Someone proposes that we take matters into our own hands, free ourselves from our addiction to foreign oil, create jobs and entire new self-sustaining industries by diverting hundreds of billions of dollars back home here to America, and reduce our energy costs in a relatively short term and entirely doable manner, and that's the best y'all can come up with?

So tell me, what's your grand plan to get us out of this mess? Let's hear it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:20 am

I tend to disagree with the global warming concept, and I am not a Gore fan, but he does make several good points. The idea of completely changing our power sources would accomplish all that he states - dependency on current fuels and reduced unemployment. The push to go solar and wind would remind we of the WPA and other Roosevelt programs. Not that things are as dire now as they were in the 30's.

Granted, all those wind turbines and solar panels may really look ugly on the landscape, and even create some unknown problem of their own, such as, forest's of wind turbines slow wind speed, who knows.

The other spot on point Gore makes is the inability of the policy makers to make bold choices due to pacification of the special interest groups. I believe that, of that entire lengthy post, may be the most critical obstacle, of which Mr. Gore and his Hollywood environmentalists are also a part of.

Hate the tree huggers or not, there are some ideas in those comments we should be looking at implementing quickly.

Digs on military action in the Middle East aren't applicable.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #19 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:25 am

So much of the U.S. and the economy is owned by the oil exporting countries that they would never LET US go with an alternative fuel and power source.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:25 am

Talking Re: An Oil Man's View

Quote:
Someone proposes that we take matters into our own hands, free ourselves from our addiction to foreign oil, create jobs and entire new self-sustaining industries by diverting hundreds of billions of dollars back home here to America, and reduce our energy costs in a relatively short term and entirely doable manner, and that's the best y'all can come up with?

This someone happens to be a gas guzzling, living in a great big mansion, trying to tell me how to live, hypocrite. He is all hat no cattle. A former professional politician and full time scare monger self promoter.
Like I said back on earth day, "Al Gore, bit me."

Read "the Prize" by Daniel Yergin. Interesting read. This is only the fifth "oil shortage" we have had since Col. Drake brought in the first well in Pennsylvania back in the 1859. We have been running out ever since.
Drill here, Drill now.

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Last edited by norriscooper; Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:32 am.
post #21 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:36 am

Oddly enough, several years ago I was walking in our neighborhood and there was an older guy driving through. He stopped and we talked about how the area was developing and somehow or another we got on the subject of gas prices, which were around $1/gal at that time. He told me his son was some big shot at some oil company and the son told his dad that gas prices would be going up. According to the son, OPEC was po'd because gas prices in the US were so low compared to the rest ofthe world and they were going to force US gas prices to go up. Well, look what's happened. Is it OPEC? Who knows? The gulf coast hurricanes didn't help matters that's for sure, but maybe, just maybe, OPEC did have some hand in forcing the prices of oil up. Maybe they are part of the speculators that helped drive the price up. The old man also told me the US oil companies, along with the government were ok with sitting on our oil reserves. Their theory, according to the old man, was that we could weather the storm and use up the reserves of the Middle East, then start producing from our reserves and do to them what they have been doing to us. I find that a little far fetched, but who knows?

I know one thing. Ethanol ain't the answer. All that's done is drive the price of grain up. Pretty soon we won't able to afford to drive to the store or afford a loaf of bread when we get there.

Tesla's come out with one hella a good looking ELECTRIC sports car that goes over 200 miles before needing a recharge. Too bad the US car companies are too scared to explore those options. And now they're so far behind the curve, it'll take them years to perfect something that should have been perfected 5 yrs ago. Thank you elected ones for that. And all their special interest groups. Just once I'd like to see someone actually DO what they claim they're going to do during the campaign whne they get into office.

Marshall, Tx

post #22 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
. Carter was more recent, like 1980's, so its a little fresher in peoples minds.
Uhhh, no, Regan was 1980's. He took office in 1981...Carter was 70's.

There was NO gas rationing. When the oil companies cited an oil shortage for raising the price of oil and kept it going, Nixon announced that we were going to rationing and had the booklets printed..he also announced a 75% "excess profits" tax on the oil companies. After all of this was announced, the oil "shortage" evaporated and the price of gas declined. Moving on to the Carter years is when prices started going through the roof and there were lines at the gas stations and a $5 minimum at the pump along with the "odd/even" plan and the "no gas" signs out front. During the Regan years there was gas-a-plenty.
post #23 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:07 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norriscooper
This someone happens to be a gas guzzling, living in a great big mansion, trying to tell me how to live, hypocrite. He is all hat no cattle. A former professional politician and full time scare monger self promoter.
Like I said back on earth day, "Al Gore, bit me."

Read "the Prize" by Daniel Yergin. Interesting read. This is only the fifth "oil shortage" we have had since Col. Drake brought in the first well in Pennsylvania back in the 1859. We have been running out ever since.
Drill here, Drill now.
Gore's plans have merit, not because of some global warming study he gets credit for (including a nobel prize). But it's the arrogant "it's got to be 100% my way or nothing" approach that he and most of the hardcore liberals seem to have, which gets in my craw. This is what differentiates the far left from most of the rest, including the far right. On nearly every economic (I'll leave social out of it for now), the far left seems to have the "all or nothing" mindset pretty well ingrained. If you think about the proposals from the liberals and why they failed, you will see this pattern of thought. Example, Health Care: it was an all or nothing universal approach that failed. And then any attempts at a compromise solution, proposed by either the more conservative democrats or the republicans, one that would given us something workable now, instead of waiting forever for the whole enchilada, have all failed.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

Last edited by eljeffe; Jul 19th, 2008 at 9:17 am.
post #24 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 11:03 am

Red face Re: An Oil Man's View

Quote:
The old man also told me the US oil companies, along with the government were ok with sitting on our oil reserves. Their theory, according to the old man, was that we could weather the storm and use up the reserves of the Middle East, then start producing from our reserves and do to them what they have been doing to us.
I have also heard that theory, way back in the seventies. That little old man sure gets around, but he was younger then!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

post #25 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Gentlemen,

I am a 48 year old male - raised in Midland, Texas. If that place sounds vaguely familiar to some of you it may be because it is also the hometown of George W. Bush. I am indifferent to the coincidence - neither proud nor ashamed - to share hometowns with our current President.

I work for a company that has Swedish ownership. Earlier this year I had the pleasure (sic) of meeting with Al Gore as my company bestowed him the annual Goteborg Award, along with a check for one million Swedish crowns. As I was forced to listen to his rhetoric, I realized a fact that is all too prevalent in all democratic societies on this Earth - Politicians, no matter the party affiliation, are much more adept at pointing out the problems than they are to providing viable solutions. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy as even if an individual in government had a clue towards any solution, it would be blocked by those politicians across the aisle. Heaven forbid that a member of either party be credited with having a viable solution.

Like him or hate him (I personally fall in the middle on this) Al Gore is a charismatic and high profile speaker with some unique experiences and who was only four busloads of blue-haired Floridians shy of being President.

While I think his work on environmental issues is much more self-serving than philanthropic, (check his income via the speaking circuit), what bothers me much more is that he, like most politicians, is long on pointing fingers and very short on suggesting solutions.

The bottom line is that we, as a nation, have sit back and allowed our dependance on foreign imports to grow exponentially in our lifetime. American exploration and production of domestic fossil fuels has decreased while demand has increased to a staggering rate. So too we have seen a reduction of domestic production of steel, automobiles, grain and just about every other commodity.

For solutions, we needn't look any further than Sweden for a working example of self sustainability. They are on path to eliminate their need to purchase foreign produced petroleum within the next 5-7 years. They have accomplished this with a noble (not to be confused with Nobel) approach to diversifying alternative energy sources, and implementing them in conjunction with one-another.

I do not profess to have the answers - in fact I probably do not even understand a majority of the questions - but I do know that when I have been confronted with issues for which I do not have solutions, I go to someone who has done it before. One of the fundamental foundations for the existence of this site.

Will it be painless? NO. Will it happen overnight? NO. But as some Chinese philosopher once said, "the longest of journeys begin with the first step". We are not alone with our energy dilemma, can we not cast aside our political views long enough to begin working towards a solution? Successful references exist for a starting point, but unfortunately it will probably mean a huge change to our wasteful society.

You do not see many Chevy Suburbans in Europe.

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #26 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Ever hear of T. Boone Pickens?

Marshall, Tx

post #27 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:46 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
This is the link to see what snopes says about it. Question is who confirms what snopes says is true?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/bigoil.asp
Snopes sites all the sources they use to prove or disprove whatever internet legend gets sent to them.

-
post #28 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Thumbs up Pickens, go for it!

Quote:
Ever hear of T. Boone Pickens?
BP Alternate Energy has a lease with me to put up wind turbines on my ranch, one of the windiest places in the USA, but they haven't done it yet. Maybe some day they will. I will throw a big party for everyone on this list when they do. How bout that!

06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

post #29 of 39 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 6:59 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Quote:
....It's simply another right wing fear and smear campaign, where it's much easier to prey on peoples emotions than to speak the truth.
And you wouldn't wanna prey on any liberal's already way over taxed EMOTIONS, would you?!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #30 of 39 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
But it's the arrogant "it's got to be 100% my way or nothing" approach that he and most of the hardcore liberals seem to have, which gets in my craw.
Is that similar to the "you are either for us, or against us" mindset? Ironic that you would attribute arrogance to the "left," especially after the past eight years.
post #31 of 39 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 4:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #32 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 5:42 am

Al Gore is a con man of epic proportions, I can honestly believe the government idea of keeping oil for a rainy day.
Here in Australia in the Gippsland district of Victoria we Aussies have had oil wells capped now for over 40 years,unused since discovery for that reason and we will need oil if we have to fight a war.
As for the democrats pie in the sky energy plans think about the following
1. How do you store electricity of that scope
2.what good is either solar or wind power as they are not a guaranteed steady state supply of power.
3. If you do not have a regulated power supply grid you get surges and brownouts or blackouts.Remember the east coast debacle
these are just some of the reasons why currently popular "Alternative energy" sources cannot supply energy needs.

Anyone noticed how many "Companies" large and small have made no changes but are now wonderfully green at least they tell us so.Just another huge con.
People in Australia are now increasingly regretting voting in the Rudd Govt. our equivalent of your democrats.
Global warming down here has now changed to "Climate Change" as mother nature wasn't playing the game,and it has now become obvious it's just a new form of TAX.This is understandable as like the Democrats these clowns like to waste money and are incompetent managers of what is realistically the biggest business in the country.

Think very carefully before you vote for the democrats Many of Rudds supporters in Australia are now deeply regretting a similar mistake.

Can you afford increased energy costs (That will affect everything you do or buy) Increased taxes etc and when you eventually kick them out looking for relief it will take decades to recover.
The Left have always screwed the economy of any country they take control of,can you, your family or your place of employ afford that

By the way I debunk Climate change with scientific facts and information written on date stamped paper (not as easily changed as electronic information). we can access it here as the Liars of Global warming are too lazy to try to cover up the inconvenient facts in written documentation that show up their lies.
Remember Enron Corp. mates of Al Gore as gas suppliers with a vested interest in promoting the Kyoto Scam and the whole global warming ripoff.
Trust any Politician no way, but trust the left even less
After all the left blame America for all the worlds ills,Truth is many of the issues America is saddled with are messes made by the Europeans such as the middle east where some clowns used a ruler and mapped out countries with no thought as to tribal,ethnic or religious differences across the population hence the troubles in Iraq.
post #33 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_
Can you afford increased energy costs (That will affect everything you do or buy) Increased taxes etc and when you eventually kick them out looking for relief it will take decades to recover.
Um, we've already had plenty of that over the last eight years.

Just curious, are you related to Kevin?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #34 of 39 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 8:56 am

Quote:

their grand plan is to drill, drill, drill. Let's go for the short range, short sighted solutions. The Conservatives love those because those approaches are simple and that's what people want, simple. It placates the masses.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #35 of 39 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:21 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
their grand plan is to drill, drill, drill. Let's go for the short range, short sighted solutions....
Don't forget about the 50-500 year supply of high grade coal, also. So let's dig, dig, dig!

I have a better idea--let's go for the short range AND long range solutions. The ultimate goal being to free ourselves from dependence on terrorists that want to kill us.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #36 of 39 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

WOW! I started a long thread!!! Here is a link for an additional thought from an Alaskan Congressman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlfmvwxxgHM

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #37 of 39 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Quote:
+1

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #38 of 39 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 8:13 pm

I would agree, Ron Paul would have been the best choice for the future of the US, but this form is not for the discussion of political issues. There are plenty of forums for that. For the record, because most Americans do not look to the future, but only the present, it would make sense to utilize all the foreign oil possible right now and save our reserves for the future. Makes sense to me.
post #39 of 39 Old Jun 25th, 2009, 7:28 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tep01
....this form is not for the discussion of political issues.....
Let that be a lesson to us!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in