iPhone 2.0 Software - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

iPhone 2.0 Software

I was reading about the software today, and found a link in one of the articles to the 2.0 iPhone software release. It's not yet available on the iTunes download, but the article did provide a direct link to it on Apple's servers.

So I downloaded it and installed. This one is a pretty hefty update. 225MB. It completely erased and reloaded my library onto it, so it will take 30-45 minutes for the update to complete.

On the surface, it's no different than the 1.0 software. I'm sure they've added a bunch of bells and whistles, and fixed a few bugs, but the big thing that's different is the iTunes App Store.

Now, I haven't purchased an App yet, but I have downloaded a couple free applications. Remote (which allows your iPhone to become a remote for iTunes or your AppleTV), NetNewsWire (the iPhone sibling to the Mac RSS Newsreader of the same name), and probably the coolest of the apps now available, Pandora.

For those of you not familiar with Pandora, it is a music service that allows you to create music choices from music you might have never heard of based on the music you do know. It's known as the music genome project, where music is broken down into component parts, categorized, and linked to other music that shares similar traits. It's a website I have used for a long time, and now it works on the iPhone.

What sets this application apart (whether or not it's on the iPhone) is the "set it and forget it" approach. Let's say I pick Joe Satriani as the musical trait I want to listen to. So for hour upon hour I am presented with music from many artists that share similar traits to Joe Satriani. It goes beyond that of "sounds like", but more into other traits that link the songs.

www.pandora.com

Anyway, back to the iPhone version. What makes this application great is the seemless integration into the phone/iPod function of the iPhone. It streams the music from their servers across WiFi or EDGE (and I would assume the 3G network when the new iPhone comes out tomorrow). As long as I have cell service, I can continue to have Pandora stream to me, so now I can enjoy Pandora on my daily drive or next motorcycle adventure. Given the flexibility of the platform, I fully expect to see XM and Sirius streaming apps for the iPhone on the horizon.

Back to the iPhone 2.0 software. The ease by which applications can be installed from the iTunes App Store will revolutionize the model for software applications to be installed on all mobile devices. Pick it, it downloads, and it gets sync'd to your iPhone. Even if the application is upgraded, the iTunes App Store on the iPhone will perform an upgrade check and let you know when any of your apps have been updated.

Thus far, all my choices have been the free versions of the apps. However, there are a couple games that use the motion sensors of the iPhone to control gameplay. Maybe I'll give one of them a whirl.

8AM local time tomorrow, the iPhone 3G goes on sale at a Apple Store or AT&T Store near you. I'll stick it out on the old one for a little while... unless that craving for the new phone with GPS overwhelms my better judgement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:38 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Re: iPhone 2.0 Software

What the hell is an iphone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	18683  

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:50 am

Here in The Netherlands the phone was just released. Some poor bastards have been sitting at the shop's doorstep since 7 am that morning. The store didn't start selling aigh-fones until midnight that day!! What people do for a piece of uber-bling...

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 8:07 am

For me and a couple of friends with the 1st Gen iPhone, there is nothing that makes us want to move to the 3G version.

As far a streaming tunes, if your iPhone is Jailbreaked (like mine), you can download uXM and stream XM to your iPhone. We've been doing it for a couple of days now and I can tell you it's great! It streams fine over Edge and even better using WiFi.

We've talked about upgrading to Ver 2 of the firmware, but we haven't decided if it's worth it or not. One of us will have to be the guinea pig and nobody really wants to.

UPDATE: One of my friends just tried to download V.2 and it told him his current version, 1.1.4, is the most recent.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 8 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Well, I there times this morning when I felt I was standing in line for Rock Concert tickets. Alas, it was the iPhone 3G. As the morning progressed problems mounted as we learned several lessons.

One, if you are fortunate to have a corporate discount on your current monthly ATT plan you need to suspend it and re add it later.

Second Apple had major server support problems today that lasted until nearly noon ET.

But after I was able to connect to iTunes the registration was a snap. The restore of previous settings worked flawlessly. I did have to go in and enter my set-up mail passwords to make mail work. I fumbled around on MobileMe and now a recent iCalendar test proved that the wireless updating between iMac and iPhone is working seamlessly.

The best news is that my town apparently has 3G network. So I tried the browser and WOW did it smoke. The audio is fabulous (so much stronger) and the universal ear plug jack is a big improvement. I have more room for STUFF since I went for the 16GB model.

Whata a country.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 3:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

My main customer, TriQuint Semiconductor, has three duplexer chips in the new iPhone that allow it to cover world-wide frequency ranges. So keep buying these things so that they keep me employed so I can afford gas & tires.

At some point my wife and I will upgrade to 3G iPhones. I just didn't see the point in standing in line all night, although I have done so for many a concert back in the day.

But they really screwed up the MobileME website launch. It's been offline more than on since they switched it over, and slow and buggy for the last day and a half. The Mail program still works fine for downloading and reading email, but because of firewall restrictions at my hotel I have to use the website to send email. Yesterday, I had to find a free open WiFi network just to get my work stuff sent off. They'll fix it eventually, but this is very un-Apple like. Maybe they hired a couple of old BMW engineers to help with the launch?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 4:13 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: iPhone 2.0 Software / iPod

Took a while as the Apple servers were OTT with hits, but just upgraded on my iPod touch. Wow, went from an mp3 player to a fantastic little handheld. Downloaded some spiffy apps and all is well. Well worth the 6.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 6:14 am

Here in the UK, they are letting people upgrade early from the original iphone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in