Where are all the "Swingers?" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Where are all the "Swingers?"

I've been watching all the car auctions for the past few years, muscle car shows, been to the bigger shows in the area and have yet to see any nice vintage 70 Swingers.

I used to have two, one a stick, one auto. Awesome machines! They provided some of the best moments in this lifetime. Got about 24mpg, ran at least 125mph once a week, sometimes 3-4 times/week down in swamplands of NJ. Wide open roads for many miles, no side roads intersecting. Wow, did they go. Could brake the tires lose in all gears on the automatic. The stick was just wickedly quick.

During my time in the military, I had two black guys with me one day, went to the bank to cash our checks. Left the car running at the door, my two buddies cashed their checks and off we went. Didn't get too far and were pulled over by about 5 cars, guns drawn....thought we had robbed the bank. That was pretty funny, even then.

Another time a friend with a military carryall (had a large propeller in the rear), had been racing me at over 110. He failed to negotiate a 90 degree turn, went over a bridge, upside down and the prop went through the windshield, missing his head by a "hair!" He also managed to catch a bass in the grill, all at the same time.

I went back for a tow truck - no cell phones on those days. Upon our arrival I could hear the witnesses describing the very loud, green race car that had run the poor guy off the road. Lucky no one was injured, no fines, nothing.

Well, enough of my reminiscing.....

Had a lifetime of stories made during those fun years with those cars.

Anyone here own one, or know where any are on display? I found two via Google, but not quite like what I had.

Also had a 70 390 Donahue Javelin, a 55 Chevy PU with a 396/tubro 400 tucked inside the cab and one massive brake pedal. That was a handful. At 8 mpg, had to unload that a long time ago. Used to cruise at about 6k rpm's on the turnpikes! Ate about 1 qt of oil every 100 miles or so, took a new motor every year or two. Yup, those were the days.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Re: Where are all the "Swingers?"

I remember racing Swingers AND Javelin's. I owned a '67 Dodge Barracuda in 1968 while in high school. It only had the 273 small v-8 but had about 265 hp. I found this pic which comes close to what it looked like. There were a lot of light mopar cars out then with large engines. My brother owned a 340 Dart convertable. On weekends, he'd put a six-pack on it and go racing for money. Fun days.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Wow, I was wondering where this thread was going....
I miss those ole cars.. My first car was a 1971 Hemi Cuda... No 16 year old should start that way.. Was an old wreck by the time I got it and sure wish I still had it...
Detroit dream cruise has more Swingers than you can count on two hands. A very sporty car and lots of interest around Motown.. If you have never been....you should try and make the next one.
Brian

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 1:20 am

My favorite "ride" was the '67 Goat with the 389 Tri-Power. That car was a real terror on the streets...After that would be the '73 & '74 Trans-Am 455SD. Like an ICBM on wheels.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 2:07 am

OK it's definitely not a Swinger but I picked up this 'beauty' a few weeks ago at an auction. 198 cubic inches of terror. Will almost break the tires loose on gravel. Got it cheap, figure I'll use it for a winter beater. Yeah it's a P.O.S. but has more character than any Honda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dart.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	18648  

Rick
'01 LT
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

A few VERY old pics!

Been interested in locating what is left of my pics, at least those I could find. Here are a few some may find interesting.

Starting with my first mini bike, then a 160cc Honda, a 550 Suzuki 2 stroke - in my first and hopefully last road accident, 1981 GS 850 Suzuki (my finest and last bike before the LT), the many incarnations of my 55 Chevy started with a 283, then a 327 Vette motor w4/spd, and finally a 396/turbo 400 trans (stuffed in the passenger compartment), 4:11 rear, 8mpg montser; the 70 Javelin 390 4 spd, 70 Swinger 340 auto, another was a 4 spd, and the last should be one of a very few centrifuger carbs ever seen (created by the guy that made the blood centrifuger). The rumors of fuel devices getting over 100 mpg, is no rumor.

Still hope to come across the completed projects pics, one of these days.

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08072116/wm2vmtgef1/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in