Deer Collission stats, 1 yr in Pa, 19,200! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 10:48 am Thread Starter

Deer Collission stats, 1 yr in Pa, 19,200!

I was informed three more riders went down locally this past week due to deer, one yesterday was air lifted.

I missed yet another deer two evenings ago, one block from my house, on the only 20 mile ride I was able to do this week....my fifth too close of an encounter with these guys, since I bought the bike.

From what I am seeing, the number of people I know that have been in collisions, I have to believe that number is up significantly from those stats in this link.

Rarely a week goes by I do not see deer crossing, on or nearby a road I am traveling on - any time of day or night. Add to that fox, turkey, groundhog, skunk, one very large turtle (2'+ dia), & turkey vultures to name a few of the creatures in this area to contend with. With two confirmed bird kills with the LT already, glad I have all the plastic as at least some means of protection.

I am someone astounded this is not being addressed by the Game Commission, the Insurance companies, or Pendot. Seems as if it might be a good idea to have an open season, or offer bounties for the deer, using whatever means to cut the herds.

They used to have a team in the Philly area that used night vision and silencers, baited and killed many hundreds of deer in the city, and few even knew about it. Seems we need that sooner than later.

I have not had this many close calls with deer in all my 34 years of driving, combined.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Re: Deer Collission stats, 1 yr in Pa, 19,200!

Amen.....
Brian
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I am someone astounded this is not being addressed by the Game Commission, the Insurance companies, or Pendot. Seems as if it might be a good idea to have an open season, or offer bounties for the deer, using whatever means to cut the herds.
I grew up in PA, in a VERY rural area and deer strikes were quite common. I don't think I knew anyone that hadn't hit at least one. Even the number of people that had "close encounters" with the local black bear population were on the rise.
As far as PennDOT doing something about it...hehehehehehehehehe, right! Couldn't get them to keep the roads clear of snow, which doesn't move and you think they'll have any luck with "moving targets"?
If memory serves, the tree huggers have gotten PA's deer seasons reduced over the past couple decades...no help there. Hell, if you hit a deer and it wecks your car (and it will) you can't even keep the deer.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 2:11 pm

You guys are not alone! I live in New Mexico, and the deer are incredibly thick around here. I almost never ride at night anymore, as those suckers just pop up everywhere. It is not uncommon for me to count up to 20 deer at a time in my yard. Deer/vehicle collisions happen constantly. Of course we also have elk here, and there is an occasional bike/elk mishap too.

Steve

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in