More On Florida's New License Law - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:09 am Thread Starter

More On Florida's New License Law

Our State Government strikes again. I attended a staff meeting last evening at the school where I work and we were given some additional details on the new licensing laws. I still don't have all the gory details, but here are some of the brilliant things that our elected officials have put into law!

1. Everyone desiring a motorcycle endorsement must attend and successfully complete the 16 hour MSF BRC. The ERC will not be accepted for licensing.

That change sort of makes some sense, but the following is where it gets interesting.

2. Persons who desire a 3 wheel only license must attend and successfully complete the S/TEP (Sidecar/trike Education Program).

Sounds good right? Unfortunately there are no schools in Florida that are currently trained and approved to offer that program to the public. Actually, the only school in Florida that even owns a trike is the one that I work for, Florida Motorcycle Training. So, if you want a 3 wheel only license your shit out of luck!

3. Any one under the age of 16 who operates a dirt bike or ATV on public land must hold a certificate verifying that they have successfully completed the MSF DIRT BIKE SCHOOL. Again, probably not a bad idea. Unfortunately, there is currently only one approved Dirt Bike School in the state and that's a guy with 4 dirt bikes on a trailer that will take customers out to a piece of land that he owns and run them through the course. What this means is that all those competitive events for junior riders that are currently scheduled on public land, of which there are several right here in Central Florida, will have to be cancelled and it's gona be awhile before the infrastructure will exist to handle the demand.

The list goes on, but I don't have all the details yet.

So, this is our brilliant government at work!!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:26 am

Re: More On Florida's New License Law

The sad part is I'll bet the people who are going to be affected the most by these rules, have not taken the time to participate in the meetings. These are stupid rules, and furthermore, complete nanny-state BS.
I remember learning to ride on my buddy's XR100, no helmet, no gear, no parents around, out in the woods and in the sandpit, jumping streams and going off the "cliffs" (little hills now when I look at them )......
Man, it hurt when you fell, but you know what? I want the freedom to hurt myself without some nannycrat looking down at me and trying to make me conform to THEIR way of thinking. Period. Of course, I probably could have used a helmet now that I think about it...

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in