Google Maps "Street View" is AMAZING! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Google Maps "Street View" is AMAZING!

Pardon me if I am late to the table, but I accidently discovered an absolutely amazing feature in Google Maps today. I was looking for an address in Knoxville, and saw feature new to me, "Street View". This is available in many places, around cities. Click on that when looking at a map of a city, then it will go into a view mode where streets that are covered, ( most of the Knoxville area for one) and if you click on a street it goes to street level view, and you can pan around 360 degrees at any location. It is actual photographic view as if you are standing there! While on any covered street/road you can navigate the street by clicking the arrows on the street so that you move along the road, and at any point you can then view 360 degrees around.

I am amazed at the amount of photographic data they collected! Evidently they have some system that takes continuous 360 degree pictures while they are driving the roads. If you navigate a road in street view where there is a car ahead/behind, as you move along the road the other car does also.

Absolutely mind boggling!

Try it in you area to see if "Street View" is there!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Re: Google Maps "Street View" is AMAZING!

Holy Cow!!

We're on camera...

I'm used to satellite views and close-ups, BUT 360 degree photography...WOW!

This is getting interesting and scary.

Thanks for sharing David.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 6:28 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Yep my home is on it also. The picture was takin around Christmas as my decorations are still up.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 7:28 pm
Gold Supporter

Stevie,

Who are you kidding, you never take em down.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:07 am

David,

I just used that feature this last weekend to look for the BMW MC dealer in Albuquerque, NM once I inputted the address. Worked great...as it gave me a
visual of what to look for when I got there. Really helped too...I drove right up to it like I'd been there a hundred times before!

post #6 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:59 am

If you think that's cool, download Google Earth. Some of the tools it has are way cool. You can even put in 2 points and have it fly you from one point to another. There are also street level photos that people have posted so you can see greater detail.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Last edited by sonnata; Jun 28th, 2008 at 1:18 am.
post #7 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
If you think that's cool, download Google Earth. Some of the tools it has are way cool. You can even put in 2 points and have it fly you from one point to another. There are also street level photos that people have posted so you can see greater detail.
Google Earth is great, have used it for a couple of years. However, this new "Street View" function is far more amazing than anything else I have seen. It is street level, pretty high resolution view, and you can pan around 360 degrees from whatever street position you choose. As I said earlier, once you set down on any blue lined street, you can look around, move up and down the street, look around again as if you were walking along the street.

I imagine that some day someone will say: " I thought you said you did not know her, then why is your truck in her driveway?"

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 2:33 pm
Super Moderator

Lets not forget the route dragging capability either!

For those that do not know after you have a Google route run - shows up in purple. Just click your mouse and hold it down on the route and a white circle with black border pops up and you can drag the route any way you want to alter the suggested path then just release the cick - viola. Try it - and you can do this in an unlimited number of re-routes!!

I have written to Garmin that if their map did this it would finally be a killer application - have not hear any word!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Wow! That is serious technology man. My house is there, although it looks like I was at work the day the pictures were done.
Freaky deaky..... Really.....
How long until you're able to punch up someone's name on the PC and zoom right to them?

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 5:48 pm

We were checking out our houses at work the other day, and one guy looked at his parent's house. There was his brother wearing his shirt. It was not that big of a bust, but kind of funny.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I understand that they will be obscuring the faces on the street view so that you can't identify individuals in compromising locations.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #12 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Lindy just made me check the strip clubs..... Glad I wasn't there...

Looked at my house and we're all home. Taken sometime between Jan and April. Probably on a weekend morning..

After the Ice storm but before the trimming of the trees.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #13 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 11:18 pm

OK, I'm an idiot. I didn't read your entire post. Doh! That feature is way cool! Thanks David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Google Earth is great, have used it for a couple of years. However, this new "Street View" function is far more amazing than anything else I have seen. It is street level, pretty high resolution view, and you can pan around 360 degrees from whatever street position you choose. As I said earlier, once you set down on any blue lined street, you can look around, move up and down the street, look around again as if you were walking along the street.

I imagine that some day someone will say: " I thought you said you did not know her, then why is your truck in her driveway?"

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
... absolutely amazing feature in Google Maps ... Absolutely mind boggling!
I had the same reaction a couple of months ago. I was getting a series of wrong numbers on my cell phone for a gentleman with my first name and some connection to some condos going up in Coronado. I finally asked one of the callers who were they were trying to contact and where they got the number. I researched the name on Google and ran across a document that referenced the address of his project. Went to Google maps with the address and the area had the Street View. On street view I found the dumpster at the project with the sign on it. The phone number was one digit off from mine with the offending digit being a 6 on the sign in place of the 0 in my number. Honest misreading of the sign. Turns out the name similarity was just coincidence. I sat back in amazement at what I had just accomplished in front of my computer. Pretty cool! I can now give folks the correct number when they call, but I haven't been received one in a while.

The Street View in my area is interesting as it was done before the fires. It was just posted recently and it is fascinating to see a complete record of what the neighborhood looked like prior to the fires. Wonder how long before it will be refreshed? We were just remarking the other day how hard it was to recall exactly what things were like around here before the fires. Not only because of the houses, but all the trees and other natural landscaping that was devastated. At the end of the day, there is very little documented to remind us of what the neighborhood was like just a few short months ago. Wonder when this gets going if we will eventually be able to pull up different era's of what Google is documenting here. Will my kids be able to come back here and show what thier house looks like today, as well as when they grew up in it? Will be very interesting to see where it goes.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Last edited by dglenn1; Jun 29th, 2008 at 1:35 am. Reason: Corrections
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 6:20 am

This made national news sometime back. Seems the Google "Street Veiw" had gotten on a military installation and posted all the information from it's cameras. Google has since removed the military installation information and has agreed that they will not let that happen again.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
This made national news sometime back. Seems the Google "Street Veiw" had gotten on a military installation and posted all the information from it's cameras. Google has since removed the military installation information and has agreed that they will not let that happen again.
Last night I looked up my daughter's home in Woodbridge, VA, on the southern outskirts of DC. No Street View in the DC Area! Wonder if Google just has not gotten around to it yet, or if there is a reason behind it?

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Lets not forget the route dragging capability either!

For those that do not know after you have a Google route run - shows up in purple. Just click your mouse and hold it down on the route and a white circle with black border pops up and you can drag the route any way you want to alter the suggested path then just release the cick - viola. Try it - and you can do this in an unlimited number of re-routes!!

I have written to Garmin that if their map did this it would finally be a killer application - have not hear any word!!

Mapsource does that...

Click the route name on the left, it will turn yellow. Than use the pointer tool and click on the route that has also turned yellow. Drag the route any place you want, and it will re-route and recalculate.

Hope I understood you correctly, and this what you want to do.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in