AT&T goin' north? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

AT&T goin' north?

Screen crawler sez AT&T moving hdqtrs to Dallas area - will begin move outta San Antonio beginning in a coupla months.

Hey, Turner - you goin' with 'em??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 2:55 pm
BMW Guru

Re: AT&T goin' north?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Screen crawler sez AT&T moving hdqtrs to Dallas area - will begin move outta San Antonio beginning in a coupla months.

Hey, Turner - you goin' with 'em??
Dallas is North? I was thinkin' Canada when reading the title of the thread

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Dallas is North? I was thinkin' Canada when reading the title of the thread
That's funny. I think San Antonio is "up North".

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
That's funny. I think San Antonio is "up North".
Saying now that 700 folks are going 'up north', and 5,300 will be staying in San Antonio. Sumpthin' to do with their global presence, since SBC and AT&T got married, so they need a beeger aeroporte - which DFW surely is, compared to S.A.

Mini -hijack --- Doug, wuz that you on the Haupstrasse this afternoon? Lookin' good w/ATGATT. I waved - butt I'm incognito when in Cheryl's cage. Don't know how you do it in rush hour, 110 degrees! Stay safe.

Hey, Bones - got a note from Arnie Wiggins today. Said he had the misfort.... I mean, good fortune to meet you. He's up around Canyon Lake, so we need to haul him to an RTE or a Tech Session one of these dayz. I haven't met him yet. He also knows Doug! Boy, hope you guyz were on your good behavior when y'all met, so's he not gonna be afraid to mix!!!
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 9:11 pm

"up north"? Uh, anyone from "north" of I-10 is a Yankee ... to be a "d..n Yankee" is up to the individual.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 9:47 pm

We got the email about 3 this afternoon. The "story" is the bigshots wanted to move to Big D because 1) it's easier to fly in and out of, 2) they can get rid of some of their corp jets (yeah, right), 3) the other major telecom companies are up there, and 4) most of the major vendors are located up there.

So let's exam the reasons:
1) ok, I'll give you is easier flying in and out of DFW or Love (easier meaning more connecting flights
2) We got Corp jets for crying out loud! Why do we need a stinking airport with easier connections? Us common workers aren't allowed to travel any more, so it's only the bigwigs that get to travel anyway.
3) Gotta flex our "world's largest telecom" muscle where it counts. After all, San Antonio is just some hick town, right?
4) Ok, I'll give you most of our vendors are up in Dalls, but the people they deal with on a day to day basis are still going to be located in San Antonio.

The employee take? Our new Prez, Randall Stephenson, is from Ok. Dallas is a lot closer to Ok than San Antonio. Remember back when SBC was HQ'd in St. Louis? Our then Prez, Whitacker was from the San Antonio area. So where HQ end up? Well, that and the country club up there wouldn't let Whitacker play, so took his ball (& clubs) and moved south (thats the rumor anyway). yes, sir, it's good to be the King!

So far only 700 lucky people get to head to Big D. That'll be the Prez, Vice Prez some attorney types, Human Resource types, and a few of the supporting staff. All the operations and call center folks will remain here - myself included. I think they said 5300 will remain behind (to turn out the lights).

Side note: Arnie Wiggins used to have a Connie and sold it to get the LT. Thats how Arnie knows me. I guess he just took a shinin' to Bones, aka, the Brokeback Kid.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #7 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Side note: Arnie Wiggins used to have a Connie and sold it to get the LT. Thats how Arnie knows me. I guess he just took a shinin' to Bones, aka, the Brokeback Kid.
Thanks for the 'insider' info, Doug. Glad you're gonna be hangin' around the 'hood - altho you gotta straighten out your direct report and make arrangements to hit the *$$ at least now and then!!

Re: Arnie - did you and I and someone from your shop in S.A. meet Arnie at the Bear Moon Bakery once? I recollect a tan Connie, butt not sure if it wuz Arnie. Could be way wrong, tho.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Quote:

Re: Arnie - did you and I and someone from your shop in S.A. meet Arnie at the Bear Moon Bakery once? I recollect a tan Connie, butt not sure if it wuz Arnie. Could be way wrong, tho.
Yep, that was him. The other guy was Will, at that time riding a Yamaha R1, which he sold to get a Ducati 1098, which he just recently traded in on a B-King from Monte's favorite shop in Kerrville.

Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Quote:

Mini -hijack --- Doug, wuz that you on the Haupstrasse this afternoon? Lookin' good w/ATGATT. I waved - butt I'm incognito when in Cheryl's cage. Don't know how you do it in rush hour, 110 degrees! Stay safe.
It very well coulda been. I was at the Chevron getting gas.

Hey, another mini hi-jack: I stopped by Alamo BMW to pick up an oil filter today and they had 2 new GTs up front by the door. Both marked as sold. Maybe we'll see more GT's running around these parts. Uh, was one of them yours, Dick?

Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
It very well coulda been. I was at the Chevron getting gas.

Hey, another mini hi-jack: I stopped by Alamo BMW to pick up an oil filter today and they had 2 new GTs up front by the door. Both marked as sold. Maybe we'll see more GT's running around these parts. Uh, was one of them yours, Dick?
[whisper]Now you know bettern' that, Doug. Ole Toad'd have a fit thinkin' I'd swap out for a GT![/whisper]

Plus, any year that Cheryl goes to Europe brings a screechin' halt to my spending habits. Muzzle the wallet and Kraft Mac-n-Cheese for the 3-squares!!
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Hey, Bones - got a note from Arnie Wiggins today. Said he had the misfort.... I mean, good fortune to meet you. He's up around Canyon Lake, so we need to haul him to an RTE or a Tech Session one of these dayz. I haven't met him yet. He also knows Doug! Boy, hope you guyz were on your good behavior when y'all met, so's he not gonna be afraid to mix!!!
Yes, I know him. I met him at a RTE somewhere around La Grange/Elgin something or another. He works in Austin and lives in Canyon Lake. He does 140 mile commute every day and had the 2005 Connie with 80k miles.
We need to get him to our next shin-dig.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Yes, I know him. I met him at a RTE somewhere around La Grange/Elgin something or another. He works in Austin and lives in Canyon Lake. He does 140 mile commute every day and had the 2005 Connie with 80k miles.
We need to get him to our next shin-dig.
Now has an LT, and is on the forums. I told him to keep an eye on the SoCentral forum, and also sent him the URL to the Hill Country BMW Riders website. They do Saturday breakfasts at Canyon Lake about every 6th or 7th Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in