snake removal, I'm in the wrong biz... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:17 am Thread Starter

snake removal, I'm in the wrong biz...

daughter walked right past a med sized mohave rattler on the porch this week draggin a cooler. It was curled up in the corner.

she always had snakes when younger (pythons, boa's, etc) but never handled poisonous, I wasnt' home, told her to stay back and call someone to come get it.

thats what I get...140 bucks!!!! for one snake! and i'm sure they sold it to boot.

I just can't seem to get over that. I could have rode home, had that sucker for lunch and rode back for about the same amt of money.

So I'm changing the header on my business plan from "open bike repair shop" to "snake collector". I'll surely be rich in short order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Re: snake removal, I'm in the wrong biz...

Was it a diamond back or actually a mojave green. Dem mojave greens are extremely poisonous. Still an easy catch for 160 bucks!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

It was the bad news bear, the mohave. Snake collector told my daughter, I asked her to find out. I think there are about 7 kinds in AZ and a couple of them are pretty deadly.

I'm having the family post the diff kinds of rattlers on the fridge for now, probably won't be the last time we find friends on the porch! At least they could ID one quickly if needed.

Hell, for 140 bucks, I'd catch a grizzly!! gawd I'm cheep

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
daughter walked right past a med sized mohave rattler on the porch this week draggin a cooler. It was curled up in the corner.

she always had snakes when younger (pythons, boa's, etc) but never handled poisonous, I wasnt' home, told her to stay back and call someone to come get it.

thats what I get...140 bucks!!!! for one snake! and i'm sure they sold it to boot.

I just can't seem to get over that. I could have rode home, had that sucker for lunch and rode back for about the same amt of money.

So I'm changing the header on my business plan from "open bike repair shop" to "snake collector". I'll surely be rich in short order
I'd give $200.00 just to see that snake drag a cooler

Sonny
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

gee, every since my kids got older my english has gone to shitz!

not that I'm any good at any other language either

You've been watching too much BC (I hope I'm not dating myself but I loved that character).
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Gold Supporter

If I had been there that SOB would have had to drug that cooler cause his ass would have been under it and I would have been pumping holes through the cooler.

We have WAY too many of these bad boys around our house, but they are mild compared to those big green bastages you have in AZ. (That leaf is 5" long)

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Nothing a CO2 fire extinguisher won't take care of.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 4:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Sorry, but in Texas we can't get a permit for a concealed CO2 Extinguisher.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #9 of 13 Old Jun 27th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Our fire department removes them for free - and takes them on a nice ride in the desert toward more snake friendly territory. If they are just tossed out anywhere they usually die since their habitat requirements are fairly demanding.

One call does it all!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:13 am

LoneWolf...

I knew you was E. Texas when I saw that copperhead. I grew up north of Houston. Found plenty of copperheads...I was always looking for them and water moccasins.
Big time snake man, I am. Breed and sold red tail boas in college for tuition.

Now I'm on the other end of TX...where I get to see plenty of them rattlers. At work I'm the snake removal man...I gotta start charging them!

But copperheads will alway be my favorite snake...so pretty! Too bad they are poisonous. I'd love to have had them as pets.

post #11 of 13 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:47 am

The wife and I had a run in with an @30" Mojave green while in Death Valley a few years back. Most pugnatious SOB I have ever had the misfortune of having to deal with !!

We were camping up Marble canyon where we had 4 wheeled into, wife was taking a shower off the black sun shower bag being carried on top of the trucks pop up camper.
She saw the snake coming toward her luckily and screamed to me SNAKE !!
I flipped it away at least 6 times tossing it 15-20' away each time, it hit the dirt each time and made a bee line back to our spot we had the truck parked.

Needless to say being in a National Park with the snake a protected critter, I'm going to leave the rest of this story omitted.

BAD ASS Snake !!!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #12 of 13 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:40 am

When I lived on the extreme north side of the San Fernando Valley near LA I learned that the Mohave Green is one of the deadliest snakes in North America! Unlike other rattlesnakes, the Mohave Green's venom has a high percentage of a strong neurotoxin. And as stated here, they tend to be highly aggrssive toward humans. They don't get very big, but make up for it in MEAN! I was also told by the fireman that they don't always use their rattles as most rattle snakes do.

One day I came home from work to see a fire engine in front of my neighbor's home, thought they had had a fire. But there were three firemen around the bushes in front of their home, very carefully catching a Mohave Green rattler that had come down the hillside behind their home.

Because of their extreme toxicity, there are periodic warnings in the newspapers and other media to try and inform everyone to KEEP AWAY from them, and to call for help if one is spotted.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 28th, 2008, 7:43 am

Don't like snakes.

Most of my encounter with then ends up with with a snake fatality. Only exceptions are if I see it far enough away so it doesn't startle me. Did encounter a copperhead in the bedroom of a house we lived in many years ago. Snake came down with a sudden case of lead poisoning, I fixed the holes in the floor and moved. Knew his relatives were sure to live near by and may come looking for revenge.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in