Sugar-Free Gum Deadly To Dogs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 2:11 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Sugar-Free Gum Deadly To Dogs

Checked with my vet on this one and it is true. Snopes link at bottom:

Warning to all dog owners - pass this on to everyone you can. Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb. dachshund, just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to see her head inside the pocket of Katie's friend's purse. She had a guilty look on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It contained xylitol. I remembered that I had recently read that sugar-free gum can be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one.
Next, I called our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.
Unfortunately, it was still rush hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to absorb the toxin (even though they don't think it works) then they would start an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly.
The second thing that happens is liver failure. If that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them. She told us she would call us.

Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their doctors would direct Chloe's doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv, monitor her blood every other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function. She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared.

Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn't even had known why.

Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Exclamation Re: Sugar-Free Gum Deadly To Dogs

Has xylitol tested on humans !!!!

All kidding aside, I always thought dogs could anything. Not so! They can't be given Tylenol (acetaminophen), screws up their livers also. Chocolate can kill them deader than a hammer. Our dog pukes if he eats any table scraps. Now our cats are a different story. They do OK on about anything they catch!

Hope Chloe pulls through OK!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Re: Sugar-Free Gum Deadly To Dogs

Jerry, a sincere thank you for getting this info out!

Thank man, and I hope your "little one" has no lasting effects.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 5:14 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

The dog in the info isn't mine, I just found this report and ran it by my vet to confirm the info, then checked on Snopes to insure it wasn't a hoax. I have no idea who the dog belonged to or who the person relating the story is, but I am sure glad her dog is okay and she took the time to post this.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Ah. I thought you had the experience described....
Well then you deserve even more credit for taking the time to post it for us. I was not aware of this until I read this thread.
Thanks again!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 5:48 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Jerry thank you for the information. My wife and I are unaware of this. I called our vet and he stated that it is for sure true but they do not have much research on it.
Thank you much for the information, we must protect those unconditional loving pets!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
The dog in the info isn't mine, I just found this report and ran it by my vet to confirm the info, then checked on Snopes to insure it wasn't a hoax. I have no idea who the dog belonged to or who the person relating the story is, but I am sure glad her dog is okay and she took the time to post this.

Thanks for that info.....I knew about chocolate-but wow, I've got little grandkids and have to watch them closely with Ravin.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in