First aid preparedness - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

First aid preparedness

After having two of our riders go down a few weeks back, I decided I am not prepared very well for medical emergencies. I think I may have been just a tad too trusting in all the safety gear and given less thought to "what if" that is not enough.

Usually carry a medical ID/DNR, medical history, water, peroxide, compress, band aids, Epi Pen and an excellent flashlight with emergency strobe, with the LT.

Curious if EMT's/medical staff actually follow the directions with a DNR, on the spot?

I do have a basic but rather large first aid kit, but with such limited space, would like some input from others carry or have found necessary, after the fact.

I am looking to purchase at least a 5 pack of First Response Quikclot, and some EMT toothsaver. If anyone could provide a link, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: First aid preparedness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
After having two of our riders go down a few weeks back, I decided I am not prepared very well for medical emergencies. I think I may have been just a tad too trusting in all the safety gear and given less thought to "what if" that is not enough.

Usually carry a medical ID/DNR, medical history, water, peroxide, compress, band aids, Epi Pen and an excellent flashlight with emergency strobe, with the LT.

Curious if EMT's/medical staff actually follow the directions with a DNR, on the spot?

I do have a basic but rather large first aid kit, but with such limited space, would like some input from others carry or have found necessary, after the fact.

I am looking to purchase at least a 5 pack of First Response Quikclot, and some EMT toothsaver. If anyone could provide a link, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I got the tooth saver here for the best price: http://www.ithacasports.com/emttoothsaver.html

and I get the Quikclot here: http://www.medekit.com/controller/Ca...stResponse.htm

Note on the quickclot, it doesn't handle heat real well, so if your bike is dark colored and you are carrying these in the saddle bags they are not going to do well.

You are also going to want to have a lot of clings and gauze bandages on board and down here in the south it is alway advisable to have a thermal blanket. We refuse to go down when we get hit here, because you instantly become stir fry on the pavement. You will see a rider float on air till he gets over grass before he lightly touches down and waits for the amublance. Actually the heat from the pavement is a serious thing so anything you can do to protect a downed rider from it is great, but use caution moving the victim. Having a couple of paint stir sticks and triangular bandages is good for stabelizing broken limbs.

You mention your first aid kit, which is great to have on board, but more important is to know what is in it and how to use it, because in a stressful situation (having a buddy down falls into that catagory) you are not going to want to have to hunt for something to do this or that. You want to know where everything is, what it does, and how to use it quickly.

As to the DNR, odds are the Paramedics or EMT's are not going to know about it and are going to bust their butts to save the person. Medical staff sometimes are not even aware.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lonewuff; Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:52 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

I've been looking at the Quikclot for a couple of months. Now sure what the GPB is, nor where that is shipped from and how much shipping would be.

Here are two other links. I just called both companies listed below and neither could not tell me how much shipping would be either.

http://simplerlife.com/qupr.html
http://online.boundtree.com/

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Gold Supporter

Wow...They used to be here in the US and had a dist. office in Florida. Guess they pulled up stakes. I can't think of a situation that a few extra gauze bandages and direct pressure wouldn't do the same thing, so I stopped carrying it, since it didn't do well in the heat anyway.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #5 of 7 Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yechave
I've been looking at the Quikclot for a couple of months. Now sure what the GPB is, nor where that is shipped from and how much shipping would be.

Here are two other links. I just called both companies listed below and neither could not tell me how much shipping would be either.

http://simplerlife.com/qupr.html
http://online.boundtree.com/
Just an fyi . . .GBP is the Great Britain Pound () {commonly called the British Pound} currently worth ~$1.96

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #6 of 7 Old Jun 12th, 2008, 7:13 am

Lightbulb Re: First aid preparedness

QuikClot Sport and Sport Silver (antimicrobial) are available at Cabela's web site and in many sporting goods stores. QC works fine in the heat - the original stff, which got hot, is still carried in the deserts in Iraq and Afghanistan and has saved hundreds of lives. This QC Sport stuff does not get hot but can be stored in very hot places. Motorcycle police officer in Rockland County New York was saved by this stuff last year when Rockland Paramedica used it on him. The story is on the web somewhere.
Romaray
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

After many hours of searching the web and a trip to Cabela's, I ordered from here:

http://www.bestglide.com/Medical_and_Protection.html

Still looking for an emergency dental filling kit, and some sutures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in