Passenger Comfort - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Passenger Comfort

I am a new member. The wife and I are OTR truckers and we are trying to decide on a bike. The choice is between a BMW K1200LT and a HD Ultra Classic. We know how the HD feels on short rides for the passenger,my brother has one,but I am wondering about the BMW. The wife sat on one at a dealer and said it felt like the bottom of the seat in the back sat up a little to much and the back support pushed her forward a little to much. Plus the fact that it has no side support like the HD. When I look at the bike the back seat kinda looks like a English saddle. I am not so worried about my comfort as I am hers. She likes the feel of the HD but I like the BMW. Have to get our "M" endorsement yet to be able to take test drive. Just curious if any posts on this sudject. I have owned HD'S before but like the quality of the BMW's. Sorry for such a long question. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Re: Passenger Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDTrucker
I am a new member. The wife and I are OTR truckers and we are trying to decide on a bike. The choice is between a BMW K1200LT and a HD Ultra Classic. We know how the HD feels on short rides for the passenger,my brother has one,but I am wondering about the BMW. The wife sat on one at a dealer and said it felt like the bottom of the seat in the back sat up a little to much and the back support pushed her forward a little to much. Plus the fact that it has no side support like the HD. When I look at the bike the back seat kinda looks like a English saddle. I am not so worried about my comfort as I am hers. She likes the feel of the HD but I like the BMW. Have to get our "M" endorsement yet to be able to take test drive. Just curious if any posts on this sudject. I have owned HD'S before but like the quality of the BMW's. Sorry for such a long question. Thanks
Hi, Kevin - welcome to the community. Mega amounts of information are located around the forums, and it does take awhile to rein it all in. As a quick start before moving on to the HoW and technical pages, take a read on the 'similar threads' that are listed below your post. All will usually have pertinent info akin to your topic.

You'll find this in your looking around, I'm sure, but - the top trunk of the LT can be relocated back a coupla inches to increase the distance between her backrest, and your backside! Also, several of the ladies that ride with their husband have requested the installation of floorboards for the passenger's use, rather than the stock foot pegs. Good option that might be of interest. And the same applies to the installation of armrests. Passengers love 'em and I would think give them more of a feeling of being secure in the saddle.

I'll let others chime in now, and you enjoy the tour around the forum pages. Don't find something of interest, feel free to ask - you'll either get directed to good info, or told from experience.

Take care. Glad you survived (hope you did) that leetle twister out J.C way!!
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I ride mainly 2 up. My wife has ridden on the GW, Venture and RT. The Venture is closes to the HD I would guess. But I think what matters more is how tall is the wife. My wife is 5'3" and petite. I am only 5'8" and wide (so to speak). She likes the way the bike fits her.

All the other bikes she hasn't liked. To much wind, to high, to small of a seat, to much noise, and so on. I think it is just what she got use to. I have put another windshield on to help with wind and have a heated seat to help with cold. She has armrests but doesn't like them and wants me to take them off.

What is funny is the group we go with, all the wives like what they have I guess. I think it is what they get use to.

So what am I saying, buy what you want and tell the wife to shut up and get on the back. If she isn't happy about it then she doesn't have to go. (another plus)

OK, had to say it I hope my wife doesn't read this. The real truth is, If the wife is happy everyone is happy. If she thinks she can be happy on the LT with some changes then I would go for it. If she really likes the HD better then I guess you will have to learn to live with a HD.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 3:24 pm

Take a look at the saddle photos on this web site http://www.day-long.com

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in