Bathroom Renovation (not Bathroom humor) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

Bathroom Renovation (not Bathroom humor)

Ok, guys.. it aint funny.

Anyone have a good source for the lighting fixtures?

I just ripped out my entire master bath down to the sheetrock walls... Yeah, I had a "leaking" shower pan..major rework.

I've got some idea after much research on how to do the pan, I've got good advice from some board members, too...

I'm looking for some new "lighting" options... Wife likes the 3 fluorescent pendants I installed... now we are thinking of going to two "vertical" wall mount type... about 24inches long....

The general theme is "brushed nickel"...for the fixtures..

So, help a guy out here... does anyone have a good source for the lighting fixtures?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 4:57 am
Gold Supporter

Re: Bathroom Renovation (not Bathroom humor)

Just finished with a down to the studs project.

http://www.kichler.com/
Good products used in a lot of new homes in this area.

http://www.elights.com/index.html
We bought from eplumbing, I think this company is related. Good prices and delivery.
We went with brushed nickel also, don't ya know it has to be the most $$.

Still -
Just a dog without a bone ~...............

CCR '09 Great trip!, 2010 Miles of smiles, 2011 Can this possibly get better? 2012 a Superior trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT - ZZ Trailer
1983 R100
BMWMOA #158807 Michiana BMW Club #122
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 6:59 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

We have used this company below a few times with great customer service and great prices. I am not sure if they have what you are looking for, good luck.

http://www.elitefixtures.com/?gclid=...FQOaFQodjWcrWg

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Guys!
Yeah, I'm at the wall studs....what's left of them.... gonna have to replace some of them.. even the toe plate!

I'm looking for fluorescent lighting, switches, etc..

We have the plumbing fixtures and I ALMOST have my wife settled on a specific plan for installing tile....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 8:40 am

I would suggest checking out the John Bridge Forums for any information regarding tiling. I found them extremely helpful over there when I renovated our bathroom a couple of years ago.

Tiling a shower correctly is critical, particularly all the prep. work.

John Bridge Forum

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
I would suggest checking out the John Bridge Forums for any information regarding tiling. I found them extremely helpful over there when I renovated our bathroom a couple of years ago.

Tiling a shower correctly is critical, particularly all the prep. work.

John Bridge Forum

Good Luck,
Kevin

WOW!!!! Thanks Kevin!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Thanks, Guys!
Yeah, I'm at the wall studs....what's left of them.... gonna have to replace some of them.. even the toe plate!

I'm looking for fluorescent lighting, switches, etc..

We have the plumbing fixtures and I ALMOST have my wife settled on a specific plan for installing tile....
When you finish,I know, I know, with a wife supervising,you are never done,feel free to come on over and advise us. My wife is deciding what room to tackle next. Pretty sure it's the bath.

dan
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
When you finish,I know, I know, with a wife supervising,you are never done,feel free to come on over and advise us. My wife is deciding what room to tackle next. Pretty sure it's the bath.

dan
Hey, Dan! Well, I got it all ripped out in a day....just a shower, cabinets, throne and cabinets... The demo is the nastiest... but I'm very qualified with a HAMMER!! hahahaha!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I ripped a bathroom down to the studs once. That wasn't so difficult. Actually putting up the wall board and tiling, that was another story. A home project is really satisfying, but the tiling was beyond my abilities so I ended up contracting it out.

Anyway, one place you might want to check out for bathroom hardware is Interknobs.com. They have knobs, of course, but also sinks and tubs (whirlpool tubs). No lights, though. They advertise on liberty-oriented podcasts, and reading your views, I thought you might like to support them.

Have fun Channing.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Ok, guys.. it aint funny.

Anyone have a good source for the lighting fixtures?

I just ripped out my entire master bath down to the sheetrock walls... Yeah, I had a "leaking" shower pan..major rework.

I've got some idea after much research on how to do the pan, I've got good advice from some board members, too...

I'm looking for some new "lighting" options... Wife likes the 3 fluorescent pendants I installed... now we are thinking of going to two "vertical" wall mount type... about 24inches long....

The general theme is "brushed nickel"...for the fixtures..

So, help a guy out here... does anyone have a good source for the lighting fixtures?
If someone makes it... they'll have it. Prices aren't bad. Bought everything I needed there when I did a double bathroom redo about 4-5 years ago. As an aside, I will buy another house and move before I do something like that again - what a P.I.A!

Expo Design Centers are the upscale home improvement source of The Home Depot. The chain, which once had 54 Expo Design Centers, closed stores and converted others into Home Depot stores in neighborhoods that did not reflect its upscale format. Currently there are 26 Expo Design Centers nationwide and five in Florida.

The 10 Expo Design Centers are the destination for designer-quality appliances, bathroom fixtures, flooring, window treatments, hardware, lighting, barbecue grills and accessories. For example, the store features high-end appliances such as Dacor, GE Monogram, Bosch, LG, Miele, AGA, KitchenAid, Thermador and Viking. Bathroom fixtures include brand names such as LeBijou, Kohler, DecLav, Pegasus and Hansgrohe.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #11 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Before I got involved in this motorcycle stuff I was a remodeling contractor who specialized in bathrooms and kitchens for 20 years.
Is there any way you can use a ready made shower pan such as Swanstone? Building a showerpan really requires experience. I ripped out quit a few that do-it-yourselfers did. I'd hate to see you go through something like that!
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Hey, Nick, thanks for that tip!

Since I'm resizing and reshaping, I checked for a "professional" and new kink like Swanstone... no vendor here could help with the measurements I have to work with. So, I'm stuck.

Do you know if Swanstone has someone who will take "special" orders?

Thanks, pard!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 16 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 11:22 pm

I finished remodeling the bathroom in January. Took it to the studs and bought a 6 ft long 2 ft deep tub and built a bathroom around it. Kohler computerized shower tiles with pex tubing connecting them to the controls. It is kind of like being in a car wash. I did all the work except for connecting up the faucets. That way the SO can complain to him if it leaks. I would have finished the tilework sooner, but I got the LT last August.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 4:35 am
rlv

cefell,
For your shower pan, get some 2 x's and a sheet of plywood.
Make yourself a form out of the 2 x's and plywood.
Purchase a sheet of copper at least a foot larger each way than you need so it will turn up the wall at least 6"'s.
Lay the copper on top of the form and bend/ hammer the copper over the form. For two bends you might be able to take it to some place that has a metal break to get them bent. You will have to do the other two yourself.
Be sure and do a good fold on the outside corners. You might even want to get the corners brazed. Before installing, fill with water and let her stand over night to see if you have any leaks.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 5:57 am

Quote:
Hey, Nick, thanks for that tip!

Since I'm resizing and reshaping, I checked for a "professional" and new kink like Swanstone... no vendor here could help with the measurements I have to work with. So, I'm stuck.

Do you know if Swanstone has someone who will take "special" orders?

Thanks, pard!
I do not think that Swanstone makes custom shower pans. You would have to go with the sizes that are available. We always tried to steer away from building pans as the labor expense was very high. Can't you build your new shower to the size of a stock pan like a 36" x 48" or such? You might be able to find a Corain fabricator to build a solid surface pan to your dimensions.
I can't over emphasize how difficult it is to build your own pan and to do it correctly. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions here just like we do on every subject but if I was you and you go that route I would contract it out.
One thing I would suggest if you decide to build your own is to use PVC material as opposed to any kind of metal. Ripped out quite a few copper and lead pans that got destroyed by electrolysis between the cement and the metal.
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 10th, 2008, 7:26 am

I built up a neo angle shower, on a concrete floor. Nick is right, use the heavy bituthene shower pan liner material from Home depot. you can see it on the right side of pic 33. I also put in over 300# of concrete, PT 2 x 4's to frame the curb, and concrete board on the walls before the tile.

tile is tumbled slate, and looks very much like the rocks along the Maine coast.

I now have V match # 1 pine on the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom shower 033 (Medium).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	18257   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom shower 037 (Medium).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	18258   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom shower 038 (Medium).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	18259  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in