New Members from up north. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

New Members from up north.

Don't know how many folks keep a check on the *latest member* sign up box, butt ........ I've noticed a 'huge' amount of Canadians have been joining the community lately. No explanation - just a noticeable increase from that area. Could be that dealerships there are more prone to advocate a new buyer joining our forums? Of course, being adjacent to the States, I would expect their numbers to be ahead of the 'over the pond' brothers.

Keep 'em coming, Canucks. You've certainly got the riding venues to go along with the *venues-runner*!! Glad to have you aboard. Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Re: New Members from up north.

Hi everyone - yes, I'm one of those Canadians who just joined today. I can't speak for my fellow patriots; however for me, the BMW name has always stood for quality and luxury. I am going to replace my HD Ultra Classic with a BMW - it was totaled April 18th when a kid in a SUV cut me off - broke both wrists but it could have been worse. I am obviously interested in the braking ability of the next bike I own and have heard good things about BMW. I am having a hard time deciding between the LT and the GT - and a little part of me is intrigued by the Adventure. I'd love to hear any feedback the group can offer. Michael
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Ouch!! Hopefully the idiot was insured. I love my LT. It is fast enough for me and handles really well. I think if I had the GT I would get into more trouble. I test rode the RT and LT when I purchased in 2005. I bought the LT due to the 2 up riding comfort. I Loved the way the RT handled 1 up but when we went two up not as much fun. The LT handles 2 up no problem. SPeed and braking are all there. The ABS is a life saver. When you do purchase don't forget to practice your safety maneuvers. Like quick stops and swerves. The bike will handle totally different from your HD. Low speed handling can be an issue but it is certainly manageable. Thing to remember is never grab a handful of front brake while riding slow. Slow means less than parking lot speeds. I have only dropped mine twice. no wait three times now. The first time I forgot to put the side stand down. 2nd time just lost it pulling into a parking spot at work and third time I tried to take her off the center stand without mounting her first. She was fully loaded as well so there was not much i was going to do except let her down slowly.

Enjoy.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Thx Lzyellodog - slow maneuvering was never easy with the Ultra and something that I enjoyed practicing. I am interested in a 2002 LT - any concerns with that model year?
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 3:14 pm

Whooaaa - if you thought slow manuevering was difficult on the Ultra I think it best if you test drive the LT before purchasing. It is an incredible bike but at very low speed she is aptly called a "fat Lady".

Roy Jorawsky
Deputy Chief - SFD
2002 K1200LT - "BackDraft" - Deceased
2008 HD Ultra Screaming Eagle

post #6 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Okay...can I ask what the major differences are as the Ultra weighed in at over 1000 pounds with me on it - does the LT have a higher center of gravity?
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 4:45 pm

The LT''s higher than normal center of gravity is one of the things I like about it. I think it is one of the reasons it handles so well in the wind. Keep your arms loose & the bike will just lean into the wind.

If you have short legs, you just have to be careful about coming to a stop in gravel, sand or places that might have potholes. I wear boots with thick soles & I can almost flatfoot it at a stop. Getting a narrower / lower seat helps as well.

If you're concerned about low speed manuvering, get a copy of "Ride Like A Pro" & practice what you learn there. It's made a huge difference for me in slow speed manuvers such as u turns. You'll even learn how to take off with your front wheel locked in either direction.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 5:46 pm

Smile Re: New Members from up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Don't know how many folks keep a check on the *latest member* sign up box, butt ........ I've noticed a 'huge' amount of Canadians have been joining the community lately. No explanation - just a noticeable increase from that area. Could be that dealerships there are more prone to advocate a new buyer joining our forums? Of course, being adjacent to the States, I would expect their numbers to be ahead of the 'over the pond' brothers.

Keep 'em coming, Canucks. You've certainly got the riding venues to go along with the *venues-runner*!! Glad to have you aboard. Ride safe.
Weez guys may be joining up becuase the strength of the cdn dollar has greatly improved over teh past couple of years and I beleive Canadian BMW dealers, both cars and bikes, have dropped prices as have audi and porsche.
Also, many more of us slow learners have discovered that prices for many items have always been lower in the US and now , with the dollar where it is ( par +/-) the price difference in the US on these models is significantly lower than in the upper 12 ( provinces/territories).
I haven't had any difficulty controlling the LT beast even at super slow speeds, and 2 up . ( not gloating, just sayin) however, many report that they experience serious problems with it when the going gets slow. I would suggest that you substantially ignore those comments if it makes you concerned enough not to consider the bike. The way to avoid the spills is to practice and take some courses etc. Read the theory, if you can find it, about slow speed maneouvering. You'll be way too pleased with all of the other aspects of the machine to let a little potential for slow speed spills keep you away.
And, there are a bunch of us in the Golden Horseshoe, GTA area that are always looking for new buttertart houses to ride to.
Keep us informed abot what's going on with your purchase.
JS
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:35 pm

AS stated above please do not worry about the slow speed andling. It should not affect your decision to buy this marvelous machine. Just something to put in the back of your mind just to be aware of it.

I commute 4 out of 5 days a week on the LT in stop and go traffic. I have no problem creeping along at 2 or 3 mPH.

Believe me you will enjoy every minute and every mile you spend on this bike.

Good luck with the purchase. If you go up to an 05 you get the electric center stand. Nice feature.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions - and nice to see a Hamiltonian in the group as that is my home town - and we'd love to see some more BMW's in the Peterborough area! I had previously purchased the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD and it has some great tips that my wife and I practiced and found most helpful. Plus my wife became a new rider last year and I soaked up all of the tips that they provided her - I'm embarrassed to say that I rode for years and only found out about counter steering last year - who knew!
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Thumbs up Re: New Members from up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeeffe
Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions - and nice to see a Hamiltonian in the group as that is my home town - and we'd love to see some more BMW's in the Peterborough area! I had previously purchased the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD and it has some great tips that my wife and I practiced and found most helpful. Plus my wife became a new rider last year and I soaked up all of the tips that they provided her - I'm embarrassed to say that I rode for years and only found out about counter steering last year - who knew!
Without a doubt you will find that the sophistication of the LT in every respect outstrips all other bikes in this category.
In my opinion it is a pleasure to ride; whatever way you like to ride.
You can ride the hell out of it and keep pace with just about anything out there.
As one of the owners and grandsons of Sturgess Cycle had told me years ago; virtually every bike out there has more capability than I could thow at it, so don't worry about the bike not being able to handle your riding style. Unless you're Miguel Duhamel you can pretty much stop worrying if the bike can "handle" you.
The LT has more capability than most will ever know ( including me) but it is always such a pleasure riding it to find out your/my capabilities.
JS

Last edited by starky; Jun 4th, 2008 at 7:10 pm. Reason: spelling
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Well guys, I've decided on a 2004 R1200GS - I was torn between this and the LT; however something about this bike has drawn me toward it and perhaps the next one will be the LT. I'm picking it up tomorrow and am pretty pumped about that. Thanks for all the feedback. Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in