Have you slowed down? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Have you slowed down?

Over the last couple weeks I have noticed most of my fellow Space Center commuters are slowing down a little. Gone (if only temporarily) are the old Kennedy 500 days where only a few were doing anything less than 5-10 over, and half were pushing 15. I try to keep it down to 62 in a 55 which allows five trips to work on a tankful in the 'vette and 3 on the LT (85 mile commute).

A side benefit seems to be more people willing to get the hell out of the left lane. Instead of stacking up traffic for mile because they're "already doin' 60", they move over and file along at 55. Turn signal usage seems to be going up too. Yeah the price of gas sucks, but there is a small upside.

Interstate speeds seem to have dropped too.

So how about you? Slowin' down any?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 7:33 am

Re: Have you slowed down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Over the last couple weeks I have noticed most of my fellow Space Center commuters are slowing down a little. Gone (if only temporarily) are the old Kennedy 500 days where only a few were doing anything less than 5-10 over, and half were pushing 15. I try to keep it down to 62 in a 55 which allows five trips to work on a tankful in the 'vette and 3 on the LT (85 mile commute).

A side benefit seems to be more people willing to get the hell out of the left lane. Instead of stacking up traffic for mile because they're "already doin' 60", they move over and file along at 55. Turn signal usage seems to be going up too. Yeah the price of gas sucks, but there is a small upside.

Nope, put the F250 diesel on vacation and bought a smaller car (MINI) so I could keep go'n fast and still get better gas mileage!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:09 am

Another nope. The weekend highway traffic seems to have thinned, which is bueno in my book.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:32 am

In the Tahoe yes. I used to do 75 on the highway now I set cruise on 70 or slower.

On the bike heck no.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #5 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Quote:

Well, no. Our cars very seldome get out of town and there is no real highway running through this area so the top speed we ever get in the car is 50mph. The bike is another story. If I go somewhere, I am still using the same pattern that I have been.

At the end of this month we will take our boy to a camp 400 miles from here and I will set the cruise at 72ish or so. No real speed demon in a Tie-yoda.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:01 pm

The wife & I work together having us commute together as well.
We do so in our "04" Ford F-150 work truck. The little 4.6 triton V-8 gives us 17 MPG at 60 or 75mph .... and with thinner traffic these days along with a car pool lane, NOPE .... Not slowed down much.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #7 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Judging by I 45 traffic in Houston gas is still 99 cents. Weaving in and out of traffic passing me while I go 75-80. No noticable change.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #8 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Thumbs up Re: Have you slowed down?

Quote:
No

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
post #9 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:39 pm

I've slowed down on the back roads but not on the highway. And on the highways, I notice the people in the slow lanes going slower as I seem to pass them quicker now. Plus, people still use the number one lane to use their cruise control to control traffic.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #10 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:22 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Unfortunatly, they are still bump drafting here in L.A.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #11 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:36 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

not on the bike.... i can't speed to much in town... to many tourist in the way

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #12 of 23 Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Noticed same thing here coming home tonight on my short, 15 mile ride across Loop 1604.

Drivers racing to the next vehicle in the slow lane to use as blocker: zero
Drivers staying in the left lane at or just under 70: zero
Drivers passing me while riding 70-75 mph: maybe three

I also got to wondering if this is a side effect of the gas prices.

Sure was nice the last couple of days to cruise at 70 or slower in the slow lane and not feel threatened of being rammed or being caught in the draft in the left lane at 80+

rickbnsa
post #13 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:06 am
Ted

I've noticed less traffic in the San Fernando Valley area, both weekdays and weekends. In addition to the usual morning and evening rush hours, there used to be a lunch rush hour, too. The two days I was travelling through the valley at lunch time there were no slow-downs at all. Weekend traffic is noticably lighter.

As for speed, well, I like speed , and if I'm paying $4.50+/gallon I'm going to enjoy it!

This reminds me - saw something on CNN a few nights ago called "hyper-mileage". Some guy with a basic Honda Accord was getting 50 mpg. He accomplished this by not idling, being ready to put the car in gear and go as soon as the car is started, coasting as much as possible, using the brakes as little as possible, fully inflating tires, using low viscosity oil, and even shutting the car OFF while at freeway speeds and coasting (called this "advanced" and advised the avg person not do it).

Obviously, you can't do all these things all the time, but general coasting, timing lights, proper tire inflation can save a few bucks.

At $4.50 per gallon, saving just 1 gallon per week is $234.00 in your pocket - sure is something to think about.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #14 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 5:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
The little 4.6 triton V-8 gives us 17 MPG at 60 or 75mph .... and with thinner traffic these days along with a car pool lane, NOPE .... Not slowed down much.
The "little" 4.6 is actually the venerable 5.0 liter, like in the Mustang. You can really trick them boogers out to give you 5 mpg.

BTW, I have one in my pickemup and just love that truck. Getting about the same mileage as you and don't baby it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 5:41 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

No not me
I am not much of a lead foot in the car but tend to have a lead wrist on the bike for some unexplainable reason , go figure.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #16 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 6:06 am Thread Starter

...and then I come across this guy today on the way in...

CAUTION: Crappy cell phone pic ahead

Nice gear bro.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #17 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 6:09 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

WTF!

Regarding safety gear, hey the scoot is yellow.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #18 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Bright yellow and boy was that thing singin' to keep up.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #19 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 7:04 am

I haven't changed my driving habits at all. I normally get good gas mileage with all my vehicles so there isn't much to do except stop riding and that isn't going to happen.

I have noticed some drivers around town that seem to have slowed down some. Mostly I have noticed a good amount of scooters on the roads in town and even on the freeways through town. Some of those kind of slow other drivers down. I haven't heard of any scooters getting run over yet.
post #20 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 9:07 am

Wink Re: Have you slowed down?

We travel a lot on Highway 30 here in Nebraska and there is a lot of cattle haulers and grain trucks traveling this highway going to & from the packing plants and ethanol plants. I usually travel 5 over the posted 60 MPH and had almost always been passed by these trucks running in the 70+ MPH range, now I pass the trucks while running at 60 to 65 MPH. And no I have not slowed down I just don't ride too fast anymore, I have already paid my share in the way of speeding fines, like in the older I get the faster I was.

--Thats OK I don't care--
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 9:19 am
Gold Supporter

On my trip up to Washington and back I noticed the trucks were all pretty much running the speed limit. Only saw a couple hauling it. I set my cruise at 9 over and seemed to be the only one passing. I did notice the left lane was a lot clearer than it used to be. I ran slab all the way up and most of the way back. In the cities, I didn't notice much difference, but out in the open it has slowed down a bunch.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #22 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Still ride/drive the same.
But we bought stock in Chevron so our gas is free anyway.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #23 of 23 Old Jun 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm

I take off slower at stop lights and drive slower in the Explorer. On the bike, not so much.

George
Wilmington, NC
Champagne '05LT 'ROSE'

When it is my time to go I want to go like my grandfather, quietly in my sleep. Not like the other passengers in his car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in